GeForce RTX 3080 CTD Issues likely due to POSCAP and MLCC configuration

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2020.

1. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 + H90
    If this is some Hardware issue. Then probably the drivers will trade off some boost performance for stability. So maybe a lot of benchmarks should be updated (maybe there is no change at all).

Now. To be honest my games sometimes crash with a GTX1080. This is in rare scenarios. Like DX12 (Division 2 or MHW) but only when using a monitoring app in background. If I close the monitoring app almost never crashes. With Vulkan in path of exile I only got crashes while loading a new map, never while playing with action. But anyway Vulkan is marked as "Beta" in POE game.

So this could be really a driver bug. I'm just saying that PASCAL sometimes fails on me. And Pascal is old enough. Ampere is new, so I expect it to have a lot of issues. Especially considering how all the GPUs need a "Game Ready Driver" nowadays, instead of just running more generic software that works 100% stable and performant out of the box with any game.

2. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Ahh GTX1080, how much this card has suffer at the hands of NGreedia, especially after the Sept 2016 drivers who gimped the performance by 4% just to promote the upcoming GTX1080 11Gbps cards.

thesebastian likes this.
  3. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Do not extrapolate from different nodes and designs to define what the other can do.
    Gigabyte, MSI, Asus might cheapen out, but Sapphire and Powercolor will not. Neither AMD reference cards.
    Especially the latter has proven time and again designs armoured tanks not reference boards, with materials and designs going over the top of whats needed and never cheapens out.

4. danny69t

danny69t New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650 Super 4GB
    Fun fact:
    I have a gtx1650 Super and since i updated the driver to 456.38 i got crashes in games also. Reverted to an older driver, all good again.

On Topic: Maybe it's a hardware issue maybe it's a driver issue, or a mix of both.

5. m4dn355

m4dn355 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi 7870 GHz Edit.
    It just works not. :mad:

Fediuld likes this.
  6. Sara6Girls

Sara6Girls New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI FTW3 HB
    what does that mean ?
    Will my 1080ti card hold up to the next generation?
    What will happen to those who bought the cards in the first launch?
    Did they reach the bait and the fisherman's hook?
    Are we going to laugh a lot? Turing Architecture These problems did not occur
    Isn't there enough time for Nvidia to review all these problems?
    I was eagerly waiting for the RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA card and now it's postponed to next generation or July next year
    I don't want more problems.

7. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 2080 AMP
  8. Sara6Girls

Sara6Girls New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI FTW3 HB
    Nvidia's latest update, the one before it, the one before it, and the one before it is full of problems and the temperature in my water ball reaches 84 limits of consumption from the power limit and when I returned to the April update of 2020, the temperature did not exceed 72 in the maximum pressure and in the games 67-70 144Hz and no other problems appeared.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  9. brogadget

brogadget Member

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Oh man this capacity story is as old as graphic cards exists. Never jump on early released hardware and CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY!! It´s so sad that even pcbs must be reviewed in detail nowadays. We live in odd times, where early adopters become beta testers. It´s pretty easy to blame early birds, but today it is even unsure if you get the same card with the same board revision as seen on youtube. So you can allways find the tiny "subject to change....." letters, manufacturers print in their specifications or user manuals.You almost can´t rely on reviews anymore, because the "reviewers" or so called "influencers" will get pre- selected hardware, but it´s not their fault being used for marketing. IMO the early birds should get an RMA exchange from the manufacturers, no matter who is responsible for this issue. What do we learn from this mess? Before installing your long awaited hardware, make a teardow, but how without loosing your warranty? It is so funny, that today you must be almost an hardware engineer for evaluation. I think maybe even this mess will be used by some clever retailers, trying to make more money out of this situation by selling "pre-selected" cards for more $$.....let´s wait and see.....
    edit: btw I have seen the ASUS Strix cards seem to have 6 MLCC clusters. Might be a good OC card under water......(shunt mod with elmorlabs EVC)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  10. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti
    Samsung 8nm is garbage. Same reason Exynos chips are not preferred for Galaxy phones. Nvidia decided to cheap out on the fab but charge the TSMC premium.
    Im very skeptical the capacitors have anything to do with it.

Fediuld likes this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    So the every 3080 crashes above 2ghz. So much for overclocking...

Fediuld and lukas_1987_dion like this.
  12. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Its not to much of an issue as everything I've seen so far shows overclocking give very little performance boost. Easier to just leave stock.

AuerX likes this.
  13. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    i so want to see a headline Sculpers saved the day as they scooped most of the defective stock !! XD

14. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Muahahahaha :D

15. Excalibur1814

Excalibur1814 Member

GPU:
    1660ti
    I recall spending an insane amount of cash on a 690, only for the desktop to not appear... black screen. Well known issue at the time that was, eventually, fixed with a driver update.

Did nVidia know? surely they'd have tested these cards??

Oh well. I grabbed a second hand 2070 super as I'm not going to be a tester for nVidia.

16. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Member Guru

GPU:
    Although everyone likes a good Sherlock Holmes tech who done it story best to keep an open mind at the moment on the cause . Will be interesting to see how open people will be when it is pinned down .

sykozis likes this.
  17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    ... Wat? Gimped the 1080 for the release of the 1080? 1080 Ti?

alanm and AuerX like this.
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    The 1080 had two variants, one with 10gbps and one with 11gbps. That being said I had a 10gbps one, I don't remember anything about losing 4%. I googled it and can't find anyone mentioning it, outside of the usual posts about questioning performance with every driver - no specific controversy or anyone mentioning losing 4% with that particular driver. I'm just going to assume it's another thing fediuld made up. Add it to the list of 20 or so other things he crafts from thin air.

19. suty455

suty455 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Hmm now then where are all those snide comments about AMD and its Drivers or its Bios revisions?
    Have a 2080ti which is liquid cooled but to be honest I cant wait to return to AMD had no end of software issues with this card due to driver and software problems.
    Both as bad as each other but to be fair AMD has not been competitive for a while, this Gen will change that.

Nvidia is at fault here 100% as they provide the specifications the partners build to the minimum and go better for the premium cards, you have to wonder if the poor availability is due to some early production cards being held back due to this exact issue, bet we have a new spec out shortly or a down clock AFTER all the reviews are in the Tables for comparison, that is something Intel excels at!

Love the comment about scalpers getting the faulty cards though!

lukas_1987_dion likes this.
  20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Now Nvidia+partners have far too few cards to sell, but if Nvidia had tried to use TSMC, there would be no cards whatsoever. TSMC is booked full, in fact even more full than just the normal full because Sony and MS are desperately trying to get the processors for the PS and Xbox.

Maddness likes this.