GeForce RTX 3080 CTD Issues likely due to POSCAP and MLCC configuration

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sara6Girls, pharma, Thunk_It and 4 others like this.
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oh dear...

Sara6Girls likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    So who is to blame? Aibs, nvidia, yourself? :D

Thunk_It likes this.
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Yourself - for jumping the early adopter bandwagon. ;)

ceesay, Keitosha, mohiuddin and 7 others like this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Another beta testers, yeah. Rtx users just cant catch a break. :D

ceesay, mohiuddin, Thunk_It and 4 others like this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    But it's the same nearly always - 1st gen of what-ever is always full of issues. I can recall very few successful launches.

Ampere - do I want to buy it at some points? Yes. Will I buy it now? No, because AMD's response isn't out yet, and in addition to that - early adopter = high risk. Let it sit for several months and mature.
    On top of that prices will settle down.

The same goes with PS5 - I plan to get one for myself, but I won't go for the first iteration, and instead will get a second revision.

7. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Here's hoping big navi early adopters are more lucky!
    At least nvidia's new Ampere is fast a hell, we've still to see Navi's game performance,
    lets hope they leak more than AOTS numbers.

Maddness likes this.
  8. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Asus cards seem to not be not affected by this problem due to not cutting corners. Looks like I'll be waiting for a Strix oc.

AuerX and cryohellinc like this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    How do you know? Bryan from tech yes said asus tuf also crashes if overclocked but stock is fine.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Well at least AMD should not have this problem due to no AIB reviews for several weeks after launch. So should be a solid, well tested AMD reference card.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I watched the JayZTwoCents YouTube video on this issue and it seems the Founders Edition cards do not suffer from this issue as they use above spec parts. It is some of the AIB partner cards that have this issue as they cheaped out on a particular part that reduces electric interference, something like that.

However, the cards are still within specifications, it's just that when people push the cards further, beyond what they were tested for, then the cutbacks result in crashes because they are not designed to handle such high overclocks. I guess you could argue that if people are paying for £100+ extra for AIB card then it is because they want that extra performance so if they can't achieve it then the card is flawed and not fit for purpose. I would say that is grounds to return the card personally.

For most people, it will never be an issue and is not grounds for a product recall in my opinion. Hopefully, the AIB partners will review this and redesign the cards to fix this properly.

12. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Not sure we have read the same article. There was no mention of overclocking anywhere. So... care to share the source of your info where it states its caused by overclocking?

But you dont have to do that anyway. Because if it was the issue only for a overclockers, than there would not be any situation like this. The cards are malfunctioning stock, because they cant handle high clocks, and these clocks seem to appear at the low loads.

Id say this is quite a serious issue, because its a HW related.

Also, imagine being that guy, who buys 3080, it crashes, he buys new PSU just to see the card still crashing and than reading the article like this? Damn... my condolences.
    But somehow, these ppl deserve the burn. Not even waiting few months for the AMD. Sounds like a fanbois to me :D

Lebon30, Kaarme and Undying like this.
  13. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    It's totally nvidia's fault, they sent out the minimum spec sheet, approved their final designs and limited the AIBs in the testing process.

craycray, Duke Nil, ACEB and 4 others like this.
  14. Reqruiz

Reqruiz Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Imagine buying GPU for 700+ bucks and experiencing such issues. Pathetic design. It should be just flawless and perfect for this kind of money.

craycray, Solfaur and lukas_1987_dion like this.
  15. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    I was just thinking could this be down to the secrecy and limitations of testing nvidia imposed pre-production

16. DominikReber

DominikReber Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 / 10GB
    Ok I had a MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio and had several CTD during MSFS2020.
    Buuuuut I suspected MSFS2020 to be the problem as other (nom RTX 30XX) users are experiencing CTD also.

Else I played BF5 and got 2x a CTD while playing 10h.

17. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Will Nvidia accept any kind of responsibility? I think not. If some partner complains to Nvidia, Nvidia will probably tell them that they are welcome to stop producing Nvidia based video cards if working with Nvidia doesn't suit them. End of negotiations.

kakiharaFRS, Fediuld and DannyD like this.
  18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I may be wrong but it should be easy to verify what capacitor your GPU has?

All Zotac capacitors have the number 330 on them.

Then again the Founders Edition has a mix of 2x 470 and 2x 220. So i'm not sure those numbers are related to the type of capacitor used. The MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio uses 5x 470.

If those numbers are related to the type of capacitor it would mean the FE uses 2 even weaker capacitors.

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Judging from pictures on overclockers BOTH the STRIX OC and the TUF OC both use 6 cheap POSCAP array instead of 4pos+2mlcc like FE cards.

strix.jpg tuf.jpg

Only card I have seen so far that doesn't cheap out is the MSI Gaming X Trio which seems to be using the same 4pos+2mlcc setup as the FE models.

tarjeta-grafica-msi-geforce-rtx-3080-gaming-x-trio-10g-10-gb-gddr6x-galeria6.jpg

Netherwind and JonasBeckman like this.
  20. k0vasz

k0vasz Active Member

GPU:
    nV GTX1060 6G
    so... people will have to do a BIOS update to downgrade clock frequencies?
    and maybe a few months later, you can get a v2.0 version of the cards with better hardware, and you have to watch out whether you're buying the old crappy or the revised version?

sounds fun