GeForce RTX 3000 and Radeon RX 6000 now threefold more expensive over MSRP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 18, 2021.

1. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    Lol, did not realize that Playtech is real company. Their yt videos are brilliant, most of the time :)

Maddness likes this.
  2. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    Let me draw you a picture ...

When 3070 was listed 700+ in shops, say back in december/jan, the scalper price on various websites was 850-1000.
    Now when european shops list it for 1700 scalper prices are 2000.

Who influenced mostly the scalper price? Fecking shops, unless you're blind.

3. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
  4. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT Black Ed
    Retails for 2000+ instead :D

5. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    That's exactly it

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    R.I.P PC gaming.

7. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090 G9 240Hz
    Prebuilt is way to go granted it's not MSRP, but better than scalper prices of card's out there.

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Most 3090s are over 4000 euros here (on the occasion that they pop up that is), even seen one as high as 5000... it's the same for all other lower end models from both amd and nvidia (and for both current and last 2 generations), pure insanity...

Keitosha likes this.
  9. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
  10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    After the initial listing, the AIBs themselves raised prices, which made even the most conservative shops raise their own as well. On the other hand, I don't quite get your logic otherwise. Like I said previously, scalpers need to sell for higher than they buy, just like everyone else, otherwise they wouldn't make profit. If there are still some desperate miners willing to pay 2000 euros for a 700 euros cards, then that's how it is. If someone calculates they can earn through mining even the scalper's price or is a millionaire and thus doesn't care, it's what keeps the scalpers alive even after shops raised their prices. For what it's worth, 3070 is listed from 900 to 1100€ over here, it's just that there hasn't been any stock for great many months, except for pre-sold minus stock, haha.

You seem to think PC hardware stores exist for gamers, but, of course, they exist for their owners. Supply and demand is the thousands of years old mechanism for defining prices. Over here shops have typically had some principles, though, unlike faceless giants like Amazon, and they have tried to keep conservative prices. There's always a certain "Finnish extra" in prices over here due to Finland being one of the most expensive countries in the world in general, but the shops were slow to raise their prices from that. They did rise eventually, but it's still quite moderate compared to some other countries. However, it doesn't really matter in practice since there's no stock to sell.

You know, I'm repeating the same message, but scalpers aren't the problem. People who buy from scalpers are the problem. Miners aren't the problem. People who give real money to miners are the problem. But since they are real world problems, you just have to deal with it, there are no magic solutions to them. Just like you have to deal with the shop prices that will inevitably rise when there's no supply. That's how capitalism works. Just think back to what happened to those face mask prices when the Covid-19 hit. On the other hand, communists have no GPUs in the first place, so that's not a choice either.

CK the Greek likes this.

11. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
  12. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    So what if you can now just about order an entire Alienware gaming rig with a 3080 in it, for less than it costs to buy a single 3080...o_O

Aldi's Medion Erazer Hunter X20 gaming rig with a 3080 in it is now €2799...including a 11900K, 32GB RAM, 1TB m.2 SSD, and 4TB HDD....lalalalalaaaahh...oh right, and a 240mm Eisbär cooler, 750W Seasonic PSU...the 11700K X10 rig with a 3070 in it is €1499, btw. (Underscore for emphasis only.)

Oh well...sales starting 27 May...soon

Keitosha likes this.
  13. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    The only gaming GPU available in our shops I've found today was a single one 6900XT for 3000USD. Seriously dark times. Now imagine what would happen if China took over Taiwan.

14. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czochralski_method

You're welcome to give it a go yourself.

15. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    I also noticed that going for a full rig from an OEM saves you some money, considerably more than actually buying the parts.

Texter likes this.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Not really honestly anyway not in Canada. You'll save a little bit but you'll be stuck with a bad PSU, likely a not so good MB and more often than not a terrible case. You'll still have to spend twice the amount of the msrp and be stuck with a good GPU and CPU but overall a not very well built PC.

17. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Doesn't matter when you cannot buy it! Go ahead, make it 10, 20, 50 or 100x more to boost your stocks!

I have all the games I need to play under the name "BACKLOG" v1, v2, v3, and whatever other low tech games my friends, family and their kids play.

Milking this Haswell + 1060 GTX to the MAX with no regrets.

18. Strijker

Strijker Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060Ti
    Bought a GameColor 6900XT for €1120 and a 3060Ti for €490, got lucky! Sold the 6900XT for €1200 (of course I could get way more).
    But I hope things settle soon, this is just absurd.

19. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
  20. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    Sheer insanity. I bought my entire system for less.

Edit: And they're gone. Incredible.

Last edited: May 20, 2021