Geforce RTX 3000 Ampere: Data center March, Consumers June 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Read that too. Seems reasonable timing, 3080TI either along with x70 / x80, or in fall.

But whenever I read something along the lines of "analyst" saying, claiming... means he's guessing like the rest of us is, without getting six figure number salaries. :rolleyes:

cryohellinc likes this.
  3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Sounds like the GTX 3080 Ti or whatever it is called may be my next card.

My GTX 1080 Ti has lasted me well... thankfully... as the RTX 2080 Ti was never really an option for me; too little performance gain for the massive price hike and the RTX features have been pretty much wasted in the handful of games that supported it (of which not all of them interested me anyway, e.g. Battlefield V).

Hopefully, by the time RTX 3000 arrives we'll have more games using the tech and the pricing will be a bit more reasonable (I really hope for our sakes that AMD can release something competitve to drive NVIDIA's insane prices down).

A M D BugBear, Robbo9999 and Solfaur like this.
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Next summer will be interesting as all 3 (NVIDIA / AMD / Intel) will compete.

5. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    wheeee june :) cant come soon enough, waiting to upgrade my gpu.
    from your experiences do you guys think a 3080ti would be 2.5x the performances compared to 1070ti?
    a 2080ti is around 1.5x - 1.9x depending on the application and resolution.

6. anders190

anders190 Member

GPU:
    1080Ti Phoenix GS
    Same here. Would like something faster than my 1080Ti but 2080Ti wasn't good enough. The pricing didn't help it either. But a 3080Ti might be what I'll get. Or just wait another generation.

I haven't counted out AMD yet though, but it's the same there too as with Nvidia, needs to be significantly faster and make sense as a purchase.

7. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Let's hope that this will not be a disappointment like the RTX 2000 series...- of course AMD will play a big role in the Nvidia 3000 launch (finally!) both in price/performance ratio and availability...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    cryohellinc and Petr V like this.
  8. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    I think AMD will miss their opportunity again if they don't launch a big Navi before the end of the year. Honestly if they can launch a 4096 core Navi this year still then they will at least be on the top for 6 months before Nvidia brings out Ampere

9. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    I don't get how people can still go "AMD needs to release something competitive" when they have released so much competition that nvidia is literally shitting out random cards to saturate the market in confusion. The 500 series is still strong, years later. The 5700 series is very strong and very competitive. The 5500 series will release shortly and probably be very competitive as well.

10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Because many people here actually like high-end performance to game at decent FPS at 4K, or 144Hz 1440p, a part of the market where AMD has literally nothing. They just have no cards to compete against a 2080 Ti, and can barely scratch at the 2080 / 2070 Super in some games, while still being out-classed in many others.

AMD still is competing in the value market (for graphics), as they have been for years now, not the enthusiast high-end performance market.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Aside from more cores and higher clock speeds, are there any details on architectural changes from turing?

12. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    The high end - "enthusiast" - market is not where the money are but still it is important to have a card there - it's a "prestige" thing and yes, unfortunately AMD is not there yet and they need to be.

Maddness, Dragam1337 and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The 2080TI market does not represent the market. People that decide to buy those cards are few.
    When we talk about out-classing, are we referring to what? like double the frames?

As today on amazon.it, that while is not the best dealer for those things, is still a market sample, i can see the 5700xt priced as the 2060 super.
    And i do not think there is much to think about between the cards, the 5700xt seems a better choice.

So while i still own a 1080ti and i will think twice before moving to an AMD card, i do think AMD released pretty much lot of cool cards.

airbud7 likes this.
  14. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    So write that, then. They compete in the market for graphics cards, the most profitable and relevant part of the market and nvidia is having issues competing.

15. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Oh boy another 7-8 months...
    Looks like I'll have to keep this "old" 1080 on life support a little longer...

None of the current GPUs appeal to me, 2080 Super or Ti is too expensive, and everything else below it (2070 Super, 5700XT) are merely side-grades...

Solfaur likes this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It will fast but expensive. Lets hope amd and intel can compete.

17. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000

18. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    Timing matters a lot and that's where AMD has had the most difficulty.

Navi released almost a year after Turing, Vega launched a year and a half after Pascal. The same was true for Maxwell, where AMD had nothing to respond to the GTX 970 and GTX 980 for over a year.
    Medium range today has also been dominated by Nvidia for over half a year with GTX Turing as well. On AMD side, there´s talk about the RX 5500, but there´s no dates and we don't know if the RX 5600 exists.

Yes, AMD can sometimes have competitive cards, but it always comes late when the market is already saturated with Nvidia. This means that when AMD launches its offer, they have to start worrying more about the new generation of Nvidia than the current one.

What issues? Nvidia has been dominating the $200-$300 market with GTX Turing.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I sometimes have the feeling that it comes down to fab availability, and the cost for the company as well.

I can imagine, whenever Nvidia makes a fab switch (like down from 12nm to 10 or 7 or w/e), they have the cash to order big numbers of chips.
    AMD might not have the cash at hand to do this, especially since they used their chance to take advantage of Intel's lacking capabilities to go beyond 14nm.
    And I always had the feeling that AMD's chips' availability was notoriously inferior to their competition's.

So maybe that's why they were behind, GPU wise at times? Not because of lacking technical innovation, but because of fab availability and the costs? Does that make sense?

airbud7, Maddness and Caesar like this.
  20. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Yet this is guru3d, where the number of people that own such cards will actually be numerous. As such, the market right here in these forums, cards like the 2080 Ti matter.

I, for one, don't care if they make a better 2060 or whatever mid-range card. And I'm certain many others here feel the same way.

The 2080 Ti was overpriced, and one reason that happend was that AMD had absolutely zero influence on the top-end of the market. It would be better for everyone if they managed to compete there, but they just haven't been there for years.

Neo Cyrus, Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.