GeForce RTX 2070 Super discontinued, GeForce Ampere RTX 300 Series Launch details

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Considering nvidia only sells chips to card manufacturers and the profit for founders barely covers the cost of paying the contracted manufacturer (foxconn i think?)

Yeah.

On the contrary, Ryzen would have existed SOONER after AMD would have had to liquidate the assets unnecessary to designing and manufacturing a new cpu architecture. (GloFo for example).

AMD was not too big to fall, but it was necessary to retain a secondary chip and gpu vendor for the PC market, bankruptcy would have been a kick in the teeth to the idiots on top that lead them into obscurity and given them a clean slate and restructuring to boot.

Would have been the perfect opportunity to cut away dead weight and seperate AMD from RTG.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Right... they sell the chips to card manufacturers and Nvidia gets most of the profits. Even though they could do it themselves, they can maximize their profits if they don't. Therefore, they're taking this specific path for the money.
    Nvidia (as well as AMD and Intel for that matter) make their own server-grade stuff because the price tags are so much higher, and, because the products are [ideally] in a controlled environment. They can cheap out on things like cooling solutions that would not work in a consumer-grade PC.
    How? With what money could they do that? Do you think AMD wanted to keep their failed project going to 5 years? They did it because there was nothing left to develop something better. So if their measly income wasn't enough to produce Ryzen, how was a complete lack of income supposed to accomplish anything? They were running out of things to liquidate that actually had any significant value with a long-term benefit.
    When Lisa Su became CEO, she deliberately put the company deeper into debt, because it was a last-ditch effort. Ryzen needed to succeed or else the company was done for. They could not develop Ryzen sooner, probably because they were in too much debt at the time. Besides, Ryzen wasn't a ground-up redesign. It was just an overhaul of their previous architecture.
    EDIT:
    AMD had years of poor sales. Their fans were not covering R&D costs. So, I don't understand how you think they were told "mediocrity is ok" when they were very obviously failing as a company because of a product, and you're naive if you think they weren't aware that their products weren't as good as their marketing claimed.
    Exactly the point - AMD wasn't too big. They were too small. Who do you think was going to bail them out and keep them going?
    That would have been a stupid idea because at the time, RTG had the better product. Only until recently has AMD been able to pay off debts and start putting some real investment into GPUs.

3. :) Someone reads :cool:

EDIT: Well or erm knows their AMD history!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2020
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    of course, I'm only on an intel now because AMD took too long and my systems do what i need them to so not in a rush to go ryzen, but zen 3 is looking like amd has let the architecture bake enough now.....

5. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yes, well we have seen how well AMD is doing now that they have been able to get rid of that dead weight called Global Foundries.

6. I think they might still do work with GlobalFoundries, to what extent I am not certain & I'd imagine they are more restrained on the terms.

Maddness likes this.
  7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    I read the headline that the 2070 is super discounted. An incredible discount price.

...sigh

Maddness likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I remember reading that glofo wasn't offering any nodes that were of relevance to amd's zen product plans.