GeForce RTX 2060 is coming (sooner than expected)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There are other value-add features of Turing aside from raytracing. If the card comes equipped with tensors you get NGX support/Ansel DL stuff. You get variable rate shading and mesh shaders both of which are being adopted into the DX/Vulkan library/spec. You get texture space shading, MVR in apps that support it. You get the new video decode/encode block. Potentially virtual-link which is nice for VR. You also get additional "theoretical" bandwidth due to better memory compression.

I don't know if these make the card worth it or not - just felt i should point it out.

fantaskarsef and yasamoka like this.
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I feel like you must have missed the point of my post. I was saying that if they sell an RTX card entirely lacking the physical RT functionality, they need to make it clear to avoid confusion and trouble. I'm actually interested in the new tech the cards have and consider it a step in the right direction, even if I'm not interested in the cards themselves because of the astronimical pricing. But would I be interested in an RTX card missing the RT? Take a guess.

3. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    RTX 2060 DefinitelynotaGTX1070 Edition

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That wouldn't make sense for a couple reasons, the RTX line is the RT capable series from Nvidia with actual hardware and software support in the tensor cores and in RTX, and these are Turing cores still. If these were going to be the lesser of the two, I doubt we would see the RTX name on them.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It actually doesn't need tensor cores to do RT - DICE doesn't even use them for BF5. If the architecture is Turing it supports RT - 90% of the changes for RT acceleration are in the ALUs. Nvidia isn't going to like redesign half of Turing for a midsized card. If it's Pascal and they call it RTX they are just a shitty company and bad at marketing (or good at marketing depending on how you look at it).

fantaskarsef and vbetts like this.
  6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Well, yeah, I was replying to a person who presented the scenario of 2060 lacking the RT cores yet still getting called RTX. Maybe you missed the quote in my first post and misread what I was saying all along?

7. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Hahahaha, no thank you.

8. Mr_Twinky

Mr_Twinky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Vega56
    nVidia keep it. Don't want it and don't need it.

9. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Yawn...

Pretty much the response of all us 1080/1080Ti owners out there who are sensible in how they spend their budget.
    Other than Ray Tracing, this whole 20XX Series feels like an over expensive refresh when you look at performance.

fantaskarsef and Dragam1337 like this.
  10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Petr V
    last time i checked, Nv doesnt guarantee any perf level on RTX.
    when did they state you could play all games with fully enabled RTX (perf/features)??
    how many times was a certain amd gpu/gen the first to implement a (market wide impacting) feature, and it had no negative impact on fps?

@GamerNerves
    outside that you work for amd/gpu div, i doubt you have any information about navi we dont have,
    so stating that one is better than the other or even compared to 1060, when neither card is on the market or even benched? ok.

and just because you prefer freesync/cheaper/value, doesnt mean EVERYONE does.
    i prefer to not hear anything from the card (fans running) when idle/low load, while sitting 2ft away from my case,
    as well as having the lowest temps under load.
    its fine if that means i have to spend a bit more, as i buy the best perf i can get, for the amount of money im willing to spend, not what model of cpu/gpu it is.

11. The God

The God Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    RTX 2060... It just Works !!

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    RTX2060, the true RTX cinematic experience.®

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    fry178 likes this.
  13. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    2060 would benifit from dlss more than Ray tracing obviously.

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Considering DLSS has to be adjusted ("machine learned") for each game AND game title has to be cherry picked by Novidia, I don't see a wide adaptation.

How many titles supporting DLSS there will be by 2019? So far the trend goes as "game has RTX, therefore it might has DLSS". Right now there more games with RTX than DLSS (afaik).

15. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    That's something we'll just have to wait and see. Could be more in the future. Right now as I've stated many times on here, the 2080ti and the rtx titan are the only rtx cards that make sense. At least until we have more games that include rtx features like dlss. These two cards are the only cards that offer better performance over the previous generation of pascal cards (outperforms the 1080ti) making them the only ones that make sense at the moment. Things could very much change in the future depending on how well rtx get's adapted.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  17. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 DOC
    RTX features should atleast perform on this card at 1080p 60fps or else... its going to be a waste of money...

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There will be 2040 for that price category. :D

But I do really wonder what nVidia intends to put in that range, because if there is nothing, they are leaving it for AMD. Or...
    Oh my...
    They expect that AMD brings cheap enough and good enough GPUs that sub $200 as already occupied and not even worth trying. While RTX 2060+ cards will adjust prices to AMD's baseline.

By March we may see RTX 2060 very close to GTX 1060 prices.

19. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Nv doesnt guarantee any perf level on RTX....
    Are you joking actual state of RT is tragic if you push the button and have 2080ti you go back to gtx 960 performance and dat on 1500€ gpu.

And i will not speak about 2080ti FE isuess.
    As i said before 2080ti is good for 4K but why price doubling?
    RT maybe?

20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Stop the babbling about RTX 2000 series price and performance..

Nvidia vs nvidia thing. AMD is not a player currently. They are against gtx 10 series. Nvidia was forced to up the prices, so they have profit. GTX 10 series are perfect still and powerful for the competition. RTX 20 series should and they are above GTX 10 series. They don't force you to buy.

fry178 likes this.