GeForce Hotfix Driver Version 551.46

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Warkratos, Feb 8, 2024.

1. SSD

SSD Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Is it just me or are these drivers significantly less performant, did Nvidia make some compromises to achieve the apparent "smoothness" compared to previous drivers?

2. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    They probably gained ~1% while unknowingly sacrificing smoothness and now they gave back ~50% of that ~1%.

3. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Very poor performance in Lightroom and ON1 Photo Raw. Reverted back to 546.65

4. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    This is crazy but when I got my new monitor and 4070 in october I had issues where anything under 80fps would "stutter" locking to 60 anywhere was impossible

I thought it was just the way my screen works in the way of it having issues at lower Hz

well this driver fixed that, reason i didnt know it was the driver is that I have only used the drivers released after mid october

Krteq and AsiJu like this.

5. Andy_96

Andy_96 Active Member

GPU:
    Gig-te 4090 Aero OC
    Previously I wrote about HAGS ON stuttering. Yes, that's true, after additional testing I still see small occasional stuttering with HAGS ON. HAGS OFF and my frame-time graph is straight always. Anyway, it's better to wait for windows/nvidia updates. I'm not using FG, so I'm fine.

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Question is if that's new, at least additional stutter with HAGS has existed since the first driver with support for it.

7. deathnite

deathnite Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 12GB
    There is something funky going on with 551.46.

On my PC with RTX 4070 it's working fine with gysnc enabled or disabled.

But on the old PC with GTX 1060, once gsync is enabled the screen goes black and the PC is no longer responding, even after disabling gsync from the monitor OSD. Had to hold the power button to shut it off.
    Once back to Windows, if I enable gsync from the monitor OSD, it does the same thing, black screen, even if lowering the refresh rate to 60Hz.
    So, i had to revert back to driver 551.23, which is working fine.

Nvidia has more testing to do before the changes in this hotfix/beta driver reach the game ready driver.
    Hopefully they are able to fix the issue.

The combination causing issues:
    - Gigabyte GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6GB (GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD). Connected via DisplayPort.
    - Lenovo Legion Y32p-30, 4K, 144Hz, AMD FreeSync Premium
    - Windows 10 22H2, 19045.3930

Edit March 2024: the issue seems to be have been fixed. I didn't try 551.61, but I installed 551.68 and gsync works fine now.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024 at 6:15 AM
  8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No apparent change in performance in comparison to R535 and these are a little bit faster than R545 in benchmarks I've done so far.
    If you're seeing a sizeable performance loss then check your system.

9. Uncle Dubbs

Uncle Dubbs New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 GOC
    Is there a way to force wattage or usage? thanks

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You can use MSI Afterburner to change the max power use but cannot explicitly set wattage.

11. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Definitely seems like a solid driver. Though, I had none of the issues that the hotfix addressed. All my games seem to be running at least as good as previously. Just scored Robocop Rogue City for 60% off and am excited to finally put a reasonable load on this 4090 and use some RTX goodness - I've just been playing games that can run on a potato with this thing and I started to feel bad for it. :( / :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  12. Andy_96

Andy_96 Active Member

GPU:
    Gig-te 4090 Aero OC
    So I once again tested this driver. 3DMark stress test shows 99.0 - 99.2%. While 537.58 shows 99.7-99.8% FPS consistency. HAGS ON and OFF show the same results on this driver in 3DMark.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    3dmark stress test is not what you think it is.

endbase likes this.
  14. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Agreed!

Stress Tests
    Check the reliability and stability of your PC

Stress testing is a useful way to check the reliability and stability of your system. It can also help you identify faulty hardware or a need for better cooling. The best time to run a stress test is after buying or building a new PC, upgrading your graphics card, or overclocking your GPU

15. Andy_96

Andy_96 Active Member

GPU:
    Gig-te 4090 Aero OC
    I just searched for some value I can measure consistently. In this case that was this metric

16. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    You referred to different drivers but even on the same driver the stress tests out come may differ

17. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    So, when can we espect to update from 537.58, we that kept this one for known reasons ?!

Wait until this new banch(s) is finished ?

18. Andy_96

Andy_96 Active Member

GPU:
    Gig-te 4090 Aero OC
    Not for me, this particular test is almost always the same on 537.58 - 99.7+%. On this driver, it's more like 99.0 - 99.2. Small difference, but measurable. DDU was used in both cases.

19. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Well buddy that is on you at the end of the day

dr_rus and FatBoyNL like this.
  20. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    You mean, before midnight ?.. what will happen to me if i don't take a decision :\ ?