GeForce Hotfix Driver 471.22 download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vidik, Jul 1, 2021.

1. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    What is it with people's setups? I've been reading the GeForce forums last night regarding this release. Everything from games stuttering/freezing, micro stuttering, mouse stutters/cursor glitches, input lag, endless complaints that if you read it you'd think this was a terrible release to avoid. There is hardly a post in that thread complaining about issues. From 1xxx to 3xxx cards I'm seeing all these complaints over there.

Yet I've looked into the issues they're all claiming, I've not seen it. Even LatencyMon is reporting good readings. Doom Eternal looks solid and all my other games are smooth.

Then there are people saying on some other forums that Standard drivers are better than DCH regarding input response.

GeForce Experience can be quite flaky lately. There are times, not always I've to disable then reactivate the overlay to get the fps counter to display.
    Otherwise what happens the GeForce Experience pop up slider comes up from the top right of the screen but ALT + R wont work. Once disabled then enabled again, the pop up from top right appears then the fps counter.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    complete fools are building computers these days.
    fools that don't have any background in computer science or decades of experience discerning how hardware problems actually manifest contrary to how they ignorantly believe they do.
    fools that throw computers together with no researching of component combination compatibility, or reported issues with the hardware.
    fools that bury their head in the sand because they believe their money and the word "new" makes them immune to flaws, faults and mistakes.

There are issues with the driver no doubt, the 8bit mpo issue for one.
    The numerous bsod issues that just about every thread includes an OP running a 3xxx or 5xxx Ryzen is unlikely to be drivers and rather be low grade cpu's or misconfigurations

Corsair Memory SKU's cannot be trusted in QVL lists

3. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    I think it's a combination of OS + driver + game/app + hardware problems.
    In order to max/smooth your performance you need to tune all of those which is not easy to get right for average Joe.
    Too many youtube examples that mislead people with information/settings etc.

Latency (and MPO) should be fixed in the next driver, but the problem is not only video driver related.
    Windows/CPU power plans and settings + Interrupts also affects it quite alot.
    Hardware accelerated content (browsers etc) also not best managed.

Lily GFX likes this.
  4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    I'm new to the Ampere show with these drivers, but situation is pretty solid for me. Some D3D12 games tended to run better (lower frame time variance/less stutter) on the RX 6800 (e.g. Metro Exodus Enhanced), while others run better on Nvidia (e.g. Warzone or WD Legion with RT). Single 8 bit display with MPO enabled.

5. wrobles3D

wrobles3D Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650
    I know it's been mentioned here but the ammount of people that use Beta/pre release SW for no real reason is astounding, it used to be assumed that this was for testing and bug catching and issues were expected but it seems it's now seen as early access/cutting edge and get the latest features. And as said above the sheer amount of different configurations when you throw Windows settings, overclocks and overlays/wrappers/hooks into the mix it's easy to blame the driver but I think a decent % of issues are self inflicted.

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks for the info!

7. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Youtube is a cesspit nowadays sadly. Full of clickbait tweaks trying to portray how it greatly reduces input lag. Another being they refer to the MarkC fix. That is not what that was intended for. It was for very old games that automatically enables Windows Mouse acceleration.

These wouldn't be the same people you see on articles and Youtube videos posting... "first" No? The worst part is so many of these guinea pigs don't supply good feedback.

8. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    For me my 3080/9900k I noticed the frametime is more erratic on 1440p 165hz (like occasional random 15-25 ms spikes) Usually the higher the gpu usage the more obvious.Issue pretty much goes away If I lower resolution to 1080p(same monitor) Temps are fine and I even checked Wattage (consistently pulling between 300-330W when gpu usage is at 99%)
    I'm wondering if it's maybe the cpu not strong enough?Seems crazy to think since its a 9900k on 1440p which in theory should put more strain on the gpu>cpu.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    I'd check games that are known to be free of stutter and if they stutter too, disable MPO, try older drivers, disable hardware monitoring tools, RGB control software etc.
    Also set Ultra Low Latency globally to on or ultra, it fixes some <=D3D11 games that don't sync CPU and GPU properly with higher CPU prerender.

10. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I already went back as far as 457.51 and mpo is disabled and I dont use monitoring tools/RGB control software.
    It's the frametime thats the problem which happens to be more erratic on 1440p.About LLM I've Heard it can cause stutter so I have it on default (off) I use optimal g-sync settings which is v-sync on globally (off ingame) with a -3 max refresh rate.

Update:LLM to ultra seemes to have helped with better frametimes on warhammer 2 which is a dx11 game and Wow which is dx12.Il test some more games.I guess LLM on Ultra helps on 1440p to give better frametime?

11. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Hm. One would think that it would be the other way around, unless you've limited your framerate. But it could be that the 9900K is unstable. Have you tried leaving it at Stock and disabling Turbo Boost and/or underclock it to see if that helps at all?

Are you able to test at 3840x2160 resolution and see what happens with frametimes there?

Are you using a PCIe riser cable? If so, can you try it without it and see if it helps?

Perhaps changing the PCIe slot could be worth a try as well if you haven't tried it yet.

12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    I suspect low (unlike none) CPU prerender causing stutter is some kind of wrong myth that doesn't want to die. I've never seen it to cause stutter in any game, actually only the opposite. Though the Nvidia driver option shouldn't affect D3D12 and Vulkan, afaict.

13. Wetryshka

Wetryshka Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti / 4 GB
    Any idea when the next driver?

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Depends on the game engine.

15. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Name one.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the homeworld 2 remastered engine has a name?

17. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    I told you before to try/test only 1 or even 2 prerendered frames in inspector (LLM Ultra in nvcp).
    I use 1 frame since I had my 2k series and works better in all my games, plus less usage on CPU in some games.
    I've never seen any stutter on my boxes, granted they all have 8cores and pretty fast CPUs.
    As a matter of fact, if I use default I can already feel some response lag in games when rotating camera.

Since you mentioned Wow, can you do me a favor please and test DX11 vs DX12?
    Just go in an area where you don't max your fps, and switch to DX 11 (not the legacy one the multicore one).
    For me that min fps difference is rather high, something like 100fps DX12 vs 135fps DX 11.

Edit :
    This might be precisely because DX12 doesn't use nvidia frame pre-render settings as far as I know.
    If I look at the CPU in Wow DX12 or other DX12 title that tank the low fps I noticed one of the cores gets overloaded hard while others are evenly spread.
    Change the game to DX 11 and that core doesn't get overloaded anymore.

So in theory, DX12 using its own prerender queue chokes one core instead of spreading it on multiple cores. This could result in stutter and tanked min fps.
    At least from what I've seen.

18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    What is the issue there? When was the last time you checked it? Is it D3D9? If yes, then it might have been regressed in Windows 10. Try DXVK with prerenderlimit 1 via config.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    OpenGL, camera stutter with LowLatency(1 frame)

20. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    @Astyanax @ManuelG

Is this correct and if so, could it be driver related?