GeForce Hot Fix driver 361.82

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by stigbeater, Feb 1, 2016.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    shhhh....

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I have tested Rise of Tombraider with this new driver yesterday and it crashed right away at the beginning (game start - loading videos menu), but then I disabled exclusive full screen and it started normally. Also now after a while it didnt crash with kernel power event id 141 anymore (this is still with exclusive fullscreen off).. just normal ctd by one scene switching.. so its getting a little better, but no way perfect.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  3. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    No problem on my end here, Something with your end :pc1:

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Why, when it starts normally after I disable exclusive full screen? Older 361.75 started fine exclusive fullscreen on or off.

PS Im running with v.high textures.

5. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    ^ How the heck its possible ? U have 3gb vram, or u changed your gpu ? The game on high textures uses about 3gb vram, and on v.high more than 4. It says even in the nvidia guide, something fishy about how the game uses the vram.

Those with 4GB GPUs are recommended to use High as VRAM stuttering can be observed on Very High, especially when swapping between gameplay, cutscenes and cinematics, and between gameplay zone transitions.

For a smooth experience with those max-quality, 4K x 4K textures, a 6GB GPU is instead recommended. And to crank things up to 4K (3840x2160), with Very High textures and max settings, we'd recommended GeForce GTX TITAN X GPUs with 12GB of VRAM, as usage can near 10GB over prolonged sessions

So there is something up with, longer gameplay = memory leaks, vram and ram also. I think when u play it for longer period of times, for example when u search a tomb, then enter the main area again, the game doesnt flush the vram buffer and RAM, just increasing it, thats why nvidia said that even on titan x, the game can use 10gb of VRAM, which is insane !!

So there is definitely something up with the loading textures into vram and flushing it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  6. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    kernel power event id 141 usually is yr psu issue. try lower down the graphics, if still auto reboot, mostly likely yr capacitor is degrading.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    The game crashes to desktop with TR stopped responding, not a system reboot, its not a BSOD code, but more like a TDR with 361.75 - I saw that exclamation ! mark by taskbar clock icons.

Anyway like I said this driver doesnt cause Kernel ID141 anymore, just CTD..

PS
    This is from TR release updates.. It seems a issue with nvidia driver and 600 & 700 series gpus, so its like I thought driver issue.

And guess I'll need to report to TR forums too about exclusive fullscreen bug, disabling it also prevents the game from crashing at startup.

Nv needs some more work to fix this mess.

It runs fine, really, doesnt stutter when I move around the map, atm at Soviet map, just sometimes it can CTD by certain scripted scenes, seems less frequent with exclusive fullscreen off. I dont play at 1440p, but 1080p.

And when I move form a tomb and proceed forward it doesnt cause idk 10-30fps drops either, maybe just a minor micro fps hickup, idk from 50-60 downt to 45-50 and back, this is for a split 0.2sec.. And not always, also its barely noticeable. That's why I don't mind running it at v.high, there isn't a issue with it. Other then driver allocation issue and flushing issue which sometimes for some bizarre reason CTD..

SO that's why I suspect a big driver issue, its not the first time you know..

I was able to play BF4 @ 570GTX with max textures too, it streamed more but didnt have issues because of lower vram buffer, even though it could chew up to 2.5GB+ vram..

COD Ghosts can eat 4-5GB easily, but I play it with max textures and 4xMSAA and runs fine too, or Shadow of morodor with ultra textures - 6GB recommended, also no issue with 3GB vram buffer.. Now if this 780GTX had 256bit bus then I bet it would be a lot worse.

8. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:

Well, i've found out that i have lower fps due to using v.high textures. Look here: http://anberly.ddns.net/

It sucks all the vram from 980 Ti. Maybe that's why on those performance reviews i see the 980 Ti having like +20fps over 980, because its the v.high textures fault. Also, soft shadows looks like crap, can disable that too.

Also, nixxes did a very nasty balance between high and v.high textures. As u can see above, uses the whole buffer on 980 Ti. And i noticed only 2.9gb on vram while using HIGH textures. So big problem on balancing the two textures settings.

When i lowered to HIGH textures, i can play fine with no fps drops. Really dunno why they did this, like +3-4gb more while using v.high, and according to nvidia's guide you can see that the diff, is like more sharp textures, nothing to justify the huge increase of vram. Maybe to sell some 980 Ti's :D

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Like i said I dont experience out of vram related fps drops, nothing like e.g. titanfall & 580gtx with v.high textures where it would literally pause the game for 1-2 sec when turning around.

The only fps drop there is is by 1st game load for 3-5sec, but quickly settles at higher avg fps later. I dont see this behaviour anymore later, unless I quit the game to desktop and then start fresh again.

Really I would lower to high in a second if it really lagged @ v.high, but it doesnt.

10. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, good for you. I can't play it, ruins my fps in open areas.

I have the same issue, when i changed to HIGH textures, no more. Its the vram, it requires too much, and it does fishy things. If a 980 Ti user can tell if for his does the same when he starts the game.

And i absolutely refuse to believe that high textures use only about 3gb, and v.high a lot more, according to nvidia guide, and other ppl's screenshots with 6gb cards. I dont think, that a more sharpen texture as shown on that link and on nvidia guide, can use that amount of video memory, its something else here, i can bet on it. And i can bet its marketing only, sell some 980 Ti's. Nvidia, nvidia.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    It may be vram oversaturation by initial buffering but that doesnt mean anything if gameplay is ok afterwards. Idk atm but I saw such glich before by one game, it was fixed later with driver update.

It is vram issue if you get lots of stutter and fps drops while you move around, unless its a ****ty game code - WatchDogs by its initial rls. Something I didnt get yet with TR @v.high textures.

It can also be system ram issue.. 8gb is lately on its limits. I've seen this TR use 8gb ram..

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    It's not. I've seen my share of VRAM related hitches and there are plenty of those in RotTR on 980Ti with VH textures.

13. klaupe

klaupe Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AmpExtreme
    Yeah, i noticed... green is now much greener than blue.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Ok fair enough, but define this hitching. Is it brief or frequent or barely noticeable?

Because in my case its only sometimes/only by some scripted scenes - e.g. gfx animated short movies (not always), by normal gameplay not much or none.

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Happens when you turn the view point and there's a sudden spike in frame render time, after that the AB readout shows that VRAM consumption has fallen some 100s of MBs and the game works fine. This means that the game has ran out of VRAM and the driver pushed some data out of it to free up some space. Happens in RotTR in both hubs rather regularly. Another game where I've seen the same on 980Ti lately is BO3.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I dont have frame time enabled, so idk what's up with that, but by fps monitoring its only brief and only in those cases I mentioned earlier, not while running around across the map e.g. Soviet map, I get 99% gpu usage there all the time..

Will see now with latest patch how it runs. Hopefully it also helps by occasional CTD @ my 780GTX and to see whats up with exclusive fullscreen - this option seems to be really sensitive now.

EDIT: but I dont have everything maxed except textures v.high, view v.high, hair v.high, hbao+, driver FXAA and driver 16xAF.. Both shadows are at high, blur off, dof normal.

And the game didnt warn me about anything now with latest patch, e.g textures too high.. Even though they implemented this feature now.
    [​IMG]

But alt+tab still makes the game "freeze" with black screen afterwards @ exclusive full screen. Will see if its less prone to CTD or if its completely fixed now, before it was the biggest trigger here.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I got a one crash by square enix logon (exclusive fullscreen), didnt happen again by restart, also later nod32 prompt me to allow Tr again by loading the map and now it worked ok by alt+tab (exclusive fullscreen), weird stuff.

But then again this patch seems promising, now it didnt crash CTD when playing Sovent map (exclusive fullscreen on) and exploring the caves near by. Disabled all antennas and now im at unknown tomb down bellow, played ~1hr so far.

Also the game can eat up to 10200MB ram lol
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And really, it ran smooth when I was running around, ok I had few avg fps ~ 40ish fps, usually 50-60fps but it felt smooth, much smoother then without exclusive fullscreen. No out of vram stutters yet when turning around.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. CrazyBaldhead

CrazyBaldhead Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    That's all the textures being offloaded from VRAM to RAM. I'm rather surprised you claim to get no slowdowns.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I dont. Can record with phone later if you dont believe. Dunno why should I lie about it..

I get 35gb/s by ram bandwith and that is apparently faster then gtx970 0.5gb slower part (30gb/s?)..

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Pretty irrelevant since PCI-E is rather slow ass bus (add latency etc. on top of that). Even that slow part is much faster and there's that 0,5 GB extra over 3GB anyway.

I haven't tested it yet but if it maxed out really does want more than 4GB then I think that most cards will definitely have some small pauses from time to time. As long as it's just small pauses occasionally I don't think it's a big deal.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016