Geforce GTX Titan X thread.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Tuoni

Tuoni Member Guru

GPU:
    Denise
    What is the RPM of your AC Xtreme fans?

I ask because I set a custom fan profile in MSI AB and AB reports that fans are spinning at 50% but the RPM readout in AB (or any other monitor program) reports ~1970 RPM which is about the max the AC Xtreme fans can spin at and so it is 100% and not 50% imho.
    Seems that the fan control is a bit wonky with these cards and AC Extreme combination...

2. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    I have recently purchase 2 Titan X cards, so my wallet is feeling a bit light at the moment. I have an odd issue though. I sued to have 2 gtx780ti cards, and used dsr for most of my games, and could always select the correct monitor refresh rate ie 60. Now if I use the same settings for the Titans, I can select the same resolution, but the maximum refresh rate is only 50?

I have reinstalled the drivers, doing a clean install, still the same problem.

Using Windows 7 64bit, I must say I was not expecting to have an issue like this

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You must have the refresh rate locked somewhere at 50hz either in nvcpl or rtss or other.

4. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Not locked anywhere. I used to over clock my monitor to 75hz, which strangely makes the colours far better, and when using the 780ti's all the games allowed me to select 75, now even with the monitor not overclocked I cannot select the default refresh rate if I use a dsr resolution

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Did you reinstall the driver you have now with DDU in safe mode before you installed over the previous?

6. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Nope, will try that later

7. Crazy G

Crazy G Member

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X SC 12GB
    I´m using AB fan control manually. At 60% spins at 2136rpm and from there and up don´t change rpm, that´s the max I guess. I plugged AAX IV 12V fans conector to the PCB conector.

At 25% min spin 1126rpm.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  8. Tuoni

Tuoni Member Guru

GPU:
    Denise
    Thanks for your information.
    Seems like the same behavior as in my system. I'm a bit disappointed that the AC Xtreme spins up to max RPM so fast.. I set a custom fan curve as suggested in the AC Xtreme manual. Apparently the Titan X is a very hot card.. at least the top card in SLI without a side fan blowing on it, stupid Corsair case :bang:
    I could run the old Titans in high 50's by just setting the AC Xtreme fans at 45% (which was actually really 45% as in ~1350 RPM and not ~2000 RPM and so inaudible)

I was thinking about re-seating the heatsinks. The temps are not that far off though that i could be bad contact. Besides that the heatsink does get quite warm and that wouldn't happen with bad contact.

Ooh well i have some more thinking to do as I don't really feel satisfied with the results at the moment. Maybe I'm just spoiled with my previous AC Xtreme experiences which were all very good as in low temps and drop dead silent.

9. Crazy G

Crazy G Member

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X SC 12GB
    AAX IV is a very nice cooler but it´s not water. Yes, the Titan X is a very hot card!
    If I blow air with a side fan over the back heatsink it increases temps 1 or 2 degrees!
    If I blow air with a side fan under the GPU to it´s fans it lower temps in 1 or 2 degrees.
    Perhaps an option is to stick some small heatsinks in the back heatsink gaps.
    Soon the EVGA or Corsair water kits is availble in my country, I´ll go for it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  10. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080ti Vision OC
    I don't think the TitanX is that hot. Maxwell is very power efficient and my original Titan with the same reference cooler ran a lot hotter.

What temps are you getting with the AAX IV to need to change it? If your temps are too high, it sounds like it might be fitted incorrectly.

11. Crazy G

Crazy G Member

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X SC 12GB
    Oh yes, the original cooler is so crappy for a 1 grand card. I was used to a Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 which runs quite cool.
    Because of some extreme OC/voltage temps rises so fast but overall I game in the low/medium 50´s because now is winter here, which I call "the overclock season", but when summer comes..

12. Tuoni

Tuoni Member Guru

GPU:
    Denise
    The top card gets about 71c (standard out of the box boost to 1180Mhz) but the AC Xtreme III fans ramp up to the max of 2000RPM to achieve that. At the max of 2000RPM the Xtreme III fans are not that silent anymore and i dare to say very close to the sound of the reference cooler that spins up to 2300RPM to keep the card at 82c. So reduced sound is not a big advantage anymore with the Xtreme III and Titan X. Temperatures are 10c lower with the extra advantage of maintaining max boost while the card downclock to baseclock with the reference cooler to maintain the 82c.
    So i guess it's not super bad, i just expected more considering my previous experiences with Xtreme III coolers.

Original Titan SLI setup ran a lot cooler and a lot more silent with the Xtreme III coolers in my old build. That build had a 220mm side fan though so i thought that might be something that would help out. Both old and new Titan comes with a TDP of 250W and Maxwell is supposed to be more efficient so i actually hoped for better Xtreme III performance then with the old Titan.... but it turns out it's worse. >_<

13. southamptonfc

GPU:
    GB 3080ti Vision OC
    You hit the nail on the head, it's that sidefan that is the difference. Non-reference coolers and especially the Arctic ones are much better than the reference coolers but you need to make sure your case has very good airflow. This is really critical with SLI.

14. Tuoni

Tuoni Member Guru

GPU:
    Denise
    Opinions seems to differ if a side fan helps:

Not sure if i should go for a build with side fan now... don't really kind (re)building my system but will be a waste of time/energy/money if the temperatures only go down by 2c.

15. southamptonfc

GPU:
    GB 3080ti Vision OC
    I suspect it's not due to it being a sidefan specifically. That 220mm would've been pumping an awful lot of air into the case and presumably the hot air was also being efficiently removed.

The way Crazy G described it, I imagined he was using a fan inside the case which wouldn't change the amount of air going into and out of the case.

Do you think you have less airflow in your current case than your old one? Maybe you have space for some extra fans or could beef up the existing fans?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015

16. Crazy G

Crazy G Member

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X SC 12GB
    I have a Corsair case with a side grid and 2 12cm fans, a front fan, all 3 pushing in, and back fan pulling out. The upper side fan blows air over the card´s back heatsink and warms up. The lower fan blows air rigth in the AAX IV fans and cools down.

Those 2 side fans are instaled a bit inclined towards the back of the case. Need to carefully control speeds to make air stream exit the case. I´ll give a try with a larger single fan. Also considering to stick smaller heatsinks in the back´s heatsink gaps.

17. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    Hi Crazy G,

If you have a total of 4 12 cm fans with only one of them pulling air out then your airflow is unbalanced and you need to be able to extract more air.

18. Tuoni

Tuoni Member Guru

GPU:
    Denise
    Which Corsair case do you have?

19. Crazy G

Crazy G Member

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X SC 12GB
    As I wrote, these 2 side fans are a bit slanted aiming the case back, but thanks, I´ve been considering add another exaustion fan in the back.

20. Crazy G

Crazy G Member

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X SC 12GB
    Corsair Carbide 500R series.