1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GeForce GTX series 980 Ti and below will not get Adaptive Sync Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 16, 2019.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    Again, can you post a source for what you're posting? At this point seeing your posts a number of them seem more like bad trolling, which isn't welcomed here.

Fender178, warlord and -Tj- like this.
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Irrelevant.

Fender178 and warlord like this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    DP does not need special transistors on PCB to do Adaptive Sync. Display controller in GPU has to send appropriate datagram. Maybe 980Ti does not have display controller capable to send such datagram. But then there is question:
    "What made nVidia to add such ability to generation after?"

Maybe limitation is in actual frequency granularity. But that would mean 980Ti can't do GSync either.

From all I know, AMD's original limitation was insufficient frequency granularity which was not changeable on the fly. But that's not case of 980Ti.

It would be lovely to actually see that technical limitation which prevents 980Ti from doing Adaptive Sync. And explanation on how absence of that feature does not affect GSync.

carnivore and warlord like this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Like your non-existent JDEC certification.

Displayport 1.3 has Adaptive Sync as a requirement, not an optional component, pascal and later are 1.3/1.4

I don't really know why you didn't follow that reasoning through yourself though. :confused:

Unfortunately "we're" never going to know because nvidia doesn't give this sort of thing to anyone who doesn't need to be implementing these gpu's in custom cards or laptops.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

5. vbetts

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    We're done with baseless and rude comments.

Only warning you're getting.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    250x doesn't have Freesync but was released in 2014.

Clearly there is more to Freesync then just DP port and/or Nvidia had no reason to include DP1.2a on Maxwell because it was pushing G-Sync at the time. Why reconfigure for an adapter revision whose specific feature you don't plan on supporting?

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Facts alternatively to what you understand are not trolling,

My current GF worked for a large graphics card vendor in their PCB design and repair division for a number of years, the paper designs are pushed through well in advance so custom designs are fully tested and vetted before release.

8. vbetts

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    Again, we're done here. Move on.

-Tj- likes this.
  9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    It would be funny if someone else other than Nvidia hax the driver for Maxwell to work. I don't know if it can be done but i'd laugh my arse off if someone did it.

carnivore and -Tj- like this.
  10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Perhaps so. But you've changed your claim. Your original timeline of PCB designs being 'fixed in stone for years' is absurd and false. Your new claim that designs are finalized prior to production is of course, obvious. However, design revisions to boards happen in real time and are ongoing. Keerist even 25 years ago, automated design tools made your claim absurd.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    carnivore likes this.

11. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti SEA HAWK
    I don’t see how he was rude or disrespectful unless the comment got removed. I just see a “good old boys” club being butt-hurt and sensitive because someone pressed the flesh a little. I think people are being too thin skinned. This is petty. Warning, threatening to censor someone for posting technical aspects. @vbetts No one punched a baby or anything....and it’s not like the rest of us source half the stuff we say most the time...

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    He was asked to provide proof of his claim that GPU and board designs are finalized YEARS before ever being put into production. AMD's announcement in regards to Navi, seems to counter his claim of GPU designs being finalized YEARS before going into production. It also counters his claim that board designs are finalized YEARS before ever being put into production, as last minute pre-production changes to the GPU can result in board design changes. He also appears to claim that board designs are finalized before the GPU is, which could result in last minute changes to the board itself....

His response to -Tj- was a bit rude....and he edited his last post after being warned for it....

K.S., Fender178 and carnivore like this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Pascal's pcb was finalized for a year and half before launch.

Paper designs are another matter, the board architects have them before automated tools are even brought into the process.

People should scroll back and check that i never said GPU designs singular, i said gpu and pcb designs.

GPU's are getting small tweaks right up till full production, the board itself not so much.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Hell, Huang's claims completely smash such argument. How did he said it?
    "We completed designs. Guy tested it and debugged in this super slow HW emulator in 2 weeks without rest. WE skipped tape-out and went straight to production straight away... Saving nVidia."

Sorry, today, you have testing tools which are several magnitudes faster, more robust and as you move on, you just add additional tests into the list.
    GPUs are years in development, but time between testing and production today is quick.

And PCB designs? One can order as complex PCBs as graphics have from china. Depending on ordered volume (therefore their priority), you can have samples for testing in 14 days. It's all the same story, living in stone age? Yeah, Leonardo designed something, and only thing making delay before implementation start was having sponsor for it.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Sorry, I'll side with the actual board engineers who do the work over some comments intended to hype up consumer attention.

16. vbetts

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    I love how when I say drop the subject, others come in and disregard that warning.

There was nothing posted, there were claims posted with no actual sources, when asked for sources none were produced. At that point, talking out of your ass I'm going to consider on the lines of trolling. Easy as that.

No more talk of this now, if you have any comments or concerns feel free to PM me. Otherwise, back on topic.

Fender178 likes this.
  17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah It sucks the older cards wont get this feature but it is understandable because of the new versions of Display port that have been released since the 980 Ti was a brand new card. Also the creators of Adaptive Sync probably tried to get it to work on an older version of Display Port but they couldn't not do it.
    Yeah just like some people got FreeSync to work on a Nvidia card by using an AMD card along side it.

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    He isn't even enabling FreeSync in the windmill demo.

19. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    the main problem is that port/reply/answer sounding "possiblity" but nvidia dont want to do it

if he posted "sorry maxwell and below is not capable for adaptive-sync", i bet most people will accept it, like it or not

then here we are talking about the "possibility"
    in the end say even it possible, as long nvidia dont want to support it, nothing will change

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

More like a month or two. Having done this professionally and having worked with fabs like TSMC and GF I can tell you you are in fact wrong.
    I don't see you quoting any board engineers, and you're certainly not quoting me, an engineer. So maybe you should actually source some of your ''professional opinions". I've done literally hundreds of board layouts. Even 20 years ago design automation tools make these changes nearly on the fly and can be transmitted to fabs, boardmakers in seconds. Have you ever actually worked in the industry? My expert opinion says no.

Fox2232 and yasamoka like this.