GeForce GTX Series 11 back in the picture? (GeForce GTX 1160 and RTX 2060)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Wtf? Why not just call it GTX2060 and RTX2060. You know, one capable of ray tracing other not.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    *facepalm*
    Is there some reason companies don't know how to count anymore?

Keitosha and Solfaur like this.
  4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This^^ Calling the new cards 1160 seems silly because "average" are going to think they are from an older generation... RTX for RT cards and GTX for non RT makes more sense.

G*addict and Solfaur like this.

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
  6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, initially thats what I thought when they released the RTX, that a GTX version would come out later... but going back in numbers is :eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_Oo_O

I agree it should just be GTX2060 and RTX2060.

Not as confusing as i9 9900X (2066) vs. i9 9900K (1151) lol

Dragam1337 and Solfaur like this.
  7. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Yep.

Most people don't see enough value in the RTX cards to justify the prices, but they can't cut the price without losing money. They can't go all out and give us a full 1100 series line, or RTX will die a swift death when everyone flocks to the 1180.

The only logical conclusion is a new card in the $250 - $300 range to tide over tge market and keep AMD at bay. It needs to perform roughly at the 1070 level. To avoid confusion, it shouldn't be named RTX, and it would be better to reserve the 2000 series for RTX line. The next logical step is a "GTX 1100" naming, so GTX 1160 makes sense.

8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i guess they do not want the gtx branding anywhere close to a 2000 number ?

chispy likes this.
  9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Oh dear what are you doing nvidia :/

10. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm not interested in such cards, I mean they're not gonna be any faster at traditional rendering than the RTX lineup, which are only about 30% faster than Pascal as it stands, so I don't really care if they're cheaper or not, because they're just not appreciably faster. Well, unless they do a really high end GTX version with significantly more cores than a 2080ti for less money, but I just don't see anything like that happening. They need another die shrink.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I dont know. Can imagine some folks thinking a 2060 is a 2060, RTX or GTX, thus causing returns to retailer for getting the wrong card.

12. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Same people buying WV Golf GLE thinking they are getting an WV Golf GTI ?

People are stupid, but not that stupid? OR this is noobs3d after all :p

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    While I personally would welcome a GTX 1180 Ti priced at £700 but with the same non-RTX performance as the RTX 2080 Ti, this move could split the GPU market such that the more expensive RTX cards end up selling far less then the others meaning that developer would have less reason to support ray-tracing. Also, for AMD it would means that they would not necessarily have to come with their own RTX equivalent as they could just compete against the cheaper non-RTX cards in the high-end. Ultimately, I think it could mean RTX becomes little more than a gimmick supported in only a handful of NVIDIA sponsored games just like (hardware) PhysX and GameWorks.

Besides, I am not convinced by RTX right now; both the price and performance cost is just simply too high and I honestly have not been that impressed by what I've seen of ray-tracing or DLSS so far. Battlefield V (and any competitive shooter for that matter) doesn't interest me anyway and even if did I would want better performance over prettier reflections so in my opinion they are completely wasted in that game. DLSS as supported in Final Fantasy XV is basically non-native 4K which is great if you use DSR @ 4K on a 1440p screen but if I had a 4K screen then I would say no thanks! RTX effects don't massively transform the visuals in the few (two?) games supported so far and most likely I would not notice them while playing.

If NVIDIA split their cards between RTX and GTX ranges then I think they will be crippling the chance of RTX becoming mainstream because these other cards are going to be cheaper and therefore more appealing to gamers looking for more "bang for their buck". The RTX cards at this point in time are not offering that, not helped by the extremely poor support since they launched three months ago (further enforcing the rumour that they were rushed out before it was ready). I am wondering if NVIDIA really are that stupid that they would do this though?

14. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Then why is evga.com as well as my local microcenter completely sold out of RTX 2080 ti cards? Just the other day i was at microcenter and they had just gotten ton of them. Clearly people are buying them up the moment they hit the shelves. So much for that "lack of supply" argument.

What i've been seeing is lots of people trying to push this narrative that these cards aren't worth the money in an attempt to divert sales to AMD, but the thing is people want to buy the fastest card available and AMD has no horse in the race.

I know a ton of people who now own these RTX 2080ti cards and not one of them has said anything bad about it. Many of them upgraded from GTX 1080's or 1080 ti's and all say the performance boost was well worth it. I'm more frugal with my money though and will be waiting to upgrade from my GTX 1080 since i have the added expense of a waterblock when i upgrade.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If true this is about NVIDIA making as much money as possible, they simply do not want to lower the prices of the 2000 series....

It will be interesting to see if this makes their stock price go up instead of the current trend of down.

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I wonder what the price difference will be.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I would say a good number of consumers are dumb, and far below the average Guru3d members knowledge. 15-16 years ago, many bought the Geforce 440mx confusing it for the Geforce 440ti, which was in another league entirely. A few of them were even from here and admitted it. So I can easily see gtx 2060 and rtx 2060 confusing those who are far less knowledgeable. Thats not to say Nvidia would not do it if they thought it to their benefit.

18. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Nvidia knows that there's a sizable base of people out there that don't really care what the price is, they just need to have the shiniest new toy on the block. These cards would be selling out even if they were only 5% faster than the 1080ti. Honestly, who gives a crap anymore, nothing you can do about how other people spend their money.

Solfaur likes this.
  19. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    We don't know what they are going to call it this article was just speculation.

20. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I don't think that is exactly true. There are still a lot of people that were hanging onto old hardware waiting for something new. RTX came at mostly GTX prices and offered some extra tech so why not ditch the old GTX 7XX or AMD R9. Sure it is not the smoking gun in non DXR gaming but where is the competition directing the market elsewhere. I would have liked to see a better performance uplift with RTX but at least the cards offer more for the most part at already existing price points. We're looking at a shift in the way parts of games are rendered and it is fantastic but like all steps in technology the first come more expensive relative to performance.