1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GeForce GTX 980 Ti has 3072 CUDA Cores and 6GB of GDDR5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very true them Quadro cards can cost several thousand dollars while the TitanX is just a $1000.

2. Supermile

Supermile Active Member

GPU:
    Raedon 5670/ 2GB !
    rumor

i quess this is absolute false rumor,so dont suet people....yust ,this is pulling up dust ,so nvidia can get more points than competition.... Anyway,always it s better to wait than rush and buy new stuff,just to be in the top....Midle is best always....

3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS

Don't worry my friend, despite the 980ti have half the vram as the titan-x, there is still win10 around the corner, say hello to stacking vram when doing multiple gpu's, :)

Thank god I waited, this will be much much better price - performance compared to titan-x.

Can't wait for radeon 390X.

4. umeng2002

umeng2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Specs make sense. Take the GM200, half the Titan VRAM, cut FP precision to justify the Quadro tax.

I'd say 6 GB of VRAM is the new high end standard. 12 GB is overkill for video games.

I made the mistake of buying the 128 MB version of the Geforce 4200 Ti back in the day. The normal version has 64 MB. I never even came close to using the 128 MB.

VRAM isn't a limiting factor unless the program lets it "run out" with poor management (or backroom deals).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    If there is something to justify by TitanX other then 12gb vram..

I mean even 580GTX has stronger FP64 then TitanX, I doubt they will cut it further, it is what it is.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Naming it again, I saw the 580 with 3GB run out of VRAM on modded Skyrim (4K textures :D), but then again that's a single scenario I've encountered such a problem. Just sayin'.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I hope you understand that most of people running into problems like that are sick in mind and hurting their gaming experience for no reason as they are using those 4k textures on 1080p or similar, since GTX 580 would not play it well on 1440p+ anyway.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Of course it's overkill. I went back to 2K textures, and it does look nice enough, way better than the vanilla textures, and I went for it at 1080p.

And I don't think you wanted to call me sick in mind for just trying out the texture mods and noticing it does not pay off ;)

9. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    If this is true, hello Titan X owners =)

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Trying/Testing is fine (I do it often), but I know people who have good hardware to have stable 60+ fps at very high settings, and they play at 20-40fps, because they "need" to have something enabled even if it affects like 1% of pixels on screen and is giving nearly no visual difference.

So, I misused your post to point out that a lot of people are not having smooth experience just because they can cripple it.

11. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    Gamers weren't meant to buy the Titan anyway. The 12gb make sense in a high-end production environment. If you're building workstations to enable a faster prototyping scenario, then the Titan X fits perfectly. Then after you've done your prototyping and such you can send it over to the guys with the FirePro/Quadro cards.

Looking at gaming is far too limited. The original Titan made no sense there either.

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Titan series do not have the cuda and productivity accelerated drivers that Quadro has.

There were means to convert a Geforce card to Quadro via drivers before, so this may be an option.

13. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    You don't actually need those to make use of most of the cards accelleration features. I've constructed plenty of workstations for smaller work in 2D and 3D animation that use a smaller Geforce card, 650 2gb version I think it was, in applications like Photoshop, Maya and Adobe Flash / Premiere. Makes all the difference from the integrated Intel GPU. Work from these machines appear in games like Telltale's Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, which albeit is not the highest required quality, but it's actual work, not just some guy doing a weird hobby project (client is an animation studio, Telltale outsource a lot of their animation to various other companies).

I would imagine that the things remain similar when you scale up to higher quality stuff where you're like, designing a car. Make a bunch of cheaper workstations with guys doing prototype designs, send them on to the much fewer guys with the heavy duty hardware for rendering purposes.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015