GeForce GTX 780 review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 23, 2013.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    No, SLI is actually pretty good... if a game and the driver supports it. And to elaborate, I mean that 70-75% of the games I play really don't need SLI to be playable on maximum 1920x1200 settings as at 60 fps as most PC games are lead developed on consoles. It's only the major releases like Tomb Raider, BioShock Infinite, Battlefield 3, Crysis 3 and Metro: Last Light that get proper SLI support but even then not all of those need SLI to run at 60 fps maxed out at 1920x1200. Maybe if you're a 'twitch' online gamer who prefers 120+ fps then SLI is a worthwhile investment.

SLI is certainly better than CFX in my view. I got a second GTX 680 more out of curiosity than anything else as I wanted to try it for the first time and see how it compared with my HD 5870 CFX experience. On reflection, it was nice to have but most of the time my second GTX 680 is wasted (although it is nice to have lower temperatures due to each GPU sharing 50% of the workload in supported games).

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    How come no-one wants to buy my GTX 680 cards yet? :(

3. Scerate

Scerate Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    ok then i will stay on my 780GTX bandwagon i was too tempted to get a secondhand 680 but i actually thought "naah" due to the fact only 2GB VRAM is tooooo less for proper SGSSAA usage + maybe mods

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    great review. tempting...

still am wondered how much the 8970 will be and where that will come in. also i might wait for 770/760 ti.

5. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    If you had a 560 Ti I would buy it and pay for shippment but the price on the 680 is way out of this world for me right now !

6. pbvider

pbvider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Thx a lot guyz for all the advices,I`ll stick whit my 680 SLI and wait for Maxwell!

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The one neat feature that I like is being able to OC your display/Monitor but you have to find a compatible refresh rate. The one thing I am wondering about is how successful is the monitor OC feature really is? I can't wait to see some one put that to the test.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Tempted but I am going for maxwell next year. 680 4gb sli will last that long on maxed or very high setting

9. CSF90

CSF90 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabye GTX 980Ti OC
    I would buy them, but I'm looking for a second 670 as it's more cost effective for me - £250 for each of your cards is a good price though. Won't be long, I'm sure.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Good decision, you stay strong. Even I have the itch but will most likely just get another hd 7950 that will last me another year easily.

11. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    Nice product; pricey, but nice nonetheless.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Wow, didnt see this coming.

Thanks Hilbert, having a read now.

Edit: Sort of impressive but at the sametime its only got 3gb of ram, the PS4 has 8gb with at most 5-6gb of it going to be used for actual games (imo), so this is a no go for me as vram limits suck. Also depending on the price over here, then like most have said that you'd be better of paying a little extra for a Titan, that and Maxwell is just around the corner.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  13. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    780 is a good card nonetheless.
    Didn't know PS4 is using VRAM from the whole RAM bank, but as it is shared and the GPU is like ~7870 or a bit lower, i would be surprised if it would use more than 2GB as VRAM.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  14. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Good perf jump from 680. Worth it for people using older top-end cards.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    heh they disabled DP all together and they're still asking for such absurd price, fail'd :grin:

16. JoeyR

JoeyR Member

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 980Ti's
    To those saying SLi has poor support, I think you should try it first. I've been running Sli setup's since the 6800 Series, and especially in recent years, SLi performance has vastly improved . The vast majority of all recent titles will net you huge performance gains. Micro Stuttering is pretty much a thing of the past, it doesn't effect me from being an effective player in any game? Anyway about the GTX 780, What a card! makes the Titan hardly worth buying. Still it is sad to see Flag-Ship product prices soaring higher and higher. For those contemplating upgrading from a GTX6** card, Why? I remember talking on the phone with either an eVGA or Nvidia rep years back about upgrade cycles. They always say to really notice a performance increase, you are better off skipping a generation. Unless you are running huge multi-monitor setups, What can't a pair of GTX 680's run at super fluid frame-rates? Hec if it weren't for frame-rate monitors, One wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a GTX 680 and a Titan on most game titles, given a single monitor set-up. Great review & beast of a card though, I guess if one has the $$$, or is running a 5 Series card then why not? just my 2cents.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    What does that mean for us?

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    What does it mean? Simple.

Throw in a compute feature on a game and watch it perform similar to a 7970.

This 780 looked like a really good move for me until I read they killed DP.

I also thought Titan users were screwed, but seeing as they enjoy better DP, and 6GB VRAM, it's now less of a screw.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    What sort of feature in a game would require DP?

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    For gamers, not a thing. For folders and workstation people, it's like getting bent over without receiving a reach around.