Geforce GTX 780 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bishi, May 23, 2013.

1. deByte

deByte Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0
    @Anarion but why you want switch to r9 290? I think you can just change your GHz edition to another 780. EVGA with ACX cooler for example or Asus :)

I'm happy with my windforce, but on 80% fan speed I can hear strange sounds.

2. beseitfia

beseitfia Active Member

GPU:
    SLI x2 MSI Gtx980 Gaming
    I'm trying every kind of games with one card right now..Tomb raider, far cry 3, Metro Last Light Crysis (1,2,3) and a lot else...Seems really stable honestly...and never had a crash so far...I'm also very surprised that the frames are really high with just one card (i can reach 60fps minimum in every game, without physcs high in metro LL) and the best thing is that it seems smoother than i was in sli :3eyes:..With 2 cards i had a little microstuttering with vsync enabled, and one card is a 60fps rock solid IN EVERY CASE...really enjoy it!! So what i would do right now is to try the other card (the faulty one i think) and if she's really the problem, and not sli conflict..i think i will rma and sell it to save some money, because i prefer smoother gameplay than too high fps that i will never use :)

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    ^^Yep. SLI is nice but not quite up to single card. Even though it might have higher average, there are occasional stutter in game x that makes the experience not so nice. That's one reason why I sold my GTX 680 SLI and moved back to single card setup.
    IMO, it starts to get loud rather quickly after 60% because the RPM will get just so high (and 80% sounds insane in my opinion - I have open headphones). EVGA is way overpriced here at the moment. I didn't want to loose money and I kinda wanted to try Radeon again. 290 was quite a bit cheaper than cheapest GTX 780 (and Gigabyte was out of the question). I would have probably bought MSI GTX 780 Gaming but I didn't quite get enough € from GHz Edition.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    How much was your 290? Did you get the reference fan one out after market?, It's a real shame about your guys card like I said earlier I had a great exp with the 770 gigabyte I wonder what went wrong with the 780s = /. My evga is running like a champ no probs runs like it should. Can't wait for my tax return to get the 4930k and sell my 3820.

5. beseitfia

beseitfia Active Member

GPU:
    SLI x2 MSI Gtx980 Gaming
    guys i found something interesting...i've tested the faulty ghz one more time, and the crash/freeze occurs only in low 3d application and when changing voltage, for example with boost 2.0 in guild wars 2.I ve tried k-boost to force the voltage at max 1.162 and no crash anymore!

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Use sparse grid then with Nvidia inspector. MSAA is still the better AA. No blur no mess.

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Not possible in SWTOR. I do not have that pos anyway (gigabyte never again). Funnily I can force MSAA with this Radeon in that game and it looks superior to in game aa. Never found suitable flag for that game that would work correctly.

@Cronos
    I got Twinfrozr. It was 429 €, I sold the GTX 780 for 440 € (it had the game bundle). So far this has been the quietest card ever and this runs cooler too than the GTX 780. No more coil whine and fan bearing issues either. I should have bought MSI GTX 780 in the first place but picked the gigabyte instead for some reason.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah the TwinFrozer IV is an amassing cooler my only complaint is on the 780 it's a bit weak in the VRM cooling.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Doesn't look like that the 290 has that issue. The VRM area cooling is attached to main cooler.

10. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    ----

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    is there any performance loss if the card is in x8 mode instead of x16?

this new motherboard. knocks my 780 in x8 because I have my 580 in the other slot.

if I take the 580 out. the 780 goes back to x16

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Probably minimal. Test it for yourself. Run 780 in heaven valley and 3d mark at 16x then at 8x. You using 580 for physx?

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    - Video Memory stress Test (v1.7)

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    yeah

edit:

3dmark is about the same as before

games with phys scored higher now sense the 580 is now x8 from when it was x4 on my older board

15. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Well I'd say your happy with your 290 now with the msi cooler huh? = ). I'm probably going msi when Maxwell comes out I hear alot of good things. What's your oc at?

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    In terms of hardware this is superior to the Gigabyte card. Higher quality, definitely. I assume the MSI GTX 780 Gaming would be equally good (although they have clearly thought about VRM cooling in 290 variant). I'm now testing clockspeeds that made this faster than the GTX 780 OC'd to max so considering that I gained 1GB vram, got some money back and got quieter card that is faster... Yeah, I'll definitely get MSI next time too. Currently testing 1,1 GHz (no over voltage needed yet) and 1375MHz (VRAM has a lot more headroom, I'll bump it to 1400MHz if this core clock is stable and just be happy).

17. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    ----

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  18. GPU

GPU Guest

those cards should have been at the stores 3 months ago imo
    I have only bought nv
    but this time amd for a cpu co has finely given their red headed baster gpu division a great gpu then they cripple it with a crap stock cooler , no after market products for 3 months. AND no volume -wtf
    giving nv a record sales on over priced gpu's ,lower vram , $100-300 over priced .
    I want amd to get their act together so public firings should be given to those in management that pushed $$$$$$$ into nv vaults by a few key people.
    and not into the amd's piggy bank.

-investors should press for heads to roll. f the low volume 200 cpu sku's that won't sell at even below cost , they had a $400-$500 sell-able product and could not make the one time muti 100k gpu sales happen.
    sorry for the rant but amd needs to be reworked from the top down.

19. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    What is this stutter you speak of? I have owned 580/680 and 780 sli and never experienced this mysterious stutter, maybe it's bad system setup or failing hardware...

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Swtor was one of those games (it actually slowed down the game when the performance increase would have been nice i.e. warzones, fleet etc). Also I had somewhat similar experience with Mirror's Edge if I remember correctly.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014