GeForce GTX 680 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its the 680 :p

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    yeah when i had first gotten my single 580, i had P8226 and GPU - 7749,< with ancient drivers though. iirc my max OC for it i had 8000~ for gpu score at 1ghz

3. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    Whew... Looking at that chart, it seems like I'd like to think the GTX 680 might be the better card, and yet it's $50 cheaper than the HD 7970 in most cases... That's gonna be a tough call in terms of which one of these two beasts I'm gonna wind up with in my rig. Coming off an HD 5850 card that I've had since Win 7 launched, that's gonna be tough to tell which one I'm gonna really give the nod to. What a tough road ahead...but I'll decide soon enough.

4. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    5850? OC it to 950, forget upgrade.

5. proliferazor

proliferazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    Any news on the 670? I think I'm going cheaper this session there isn't much need to this much power at my HD gaming res.

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    from my understanding, GF = geforce fermi, GK = geforce kepler. cant think of anything else the G would stand for in this case. i would assume tesla series based around this generation would use different model codes.

and the relevence of that is? im talking about enthusiast gaming card prices, not workstation card prices. do you honestly think enthusiasts would pay $4000 for a Geforce GTX680 based on GK110 if its performance was on par with SLI GTX580s which would be far cheaper? pretty sure everyone would consider a $4000 Geforce GTX680 to be an epic fail, and would rather buy SLI 580s or crossfire 7970s at a lower price. add in that they could lose half the chips per wafer due to an immature process, and that would end up being a big loss for nvidia.

hence i said, its easier for them to make more money per wafer from a gk104 wafer with higher yield and selling them at $500 each rather than a gk110 wafer with lower yield at the same price.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  7. Knutselmaaster

Knutselmaaster Active Member

GPU:
    AMD6870 xfire
    I bought 2 6870's lately, for €128 a piece on Amazon.
    Look at the stats, i got almost the same results, but for half the money.
    It is a nice card, no doubt about it, but i think price/quality is very unbalanced at the moment on the graphics card market.
    It would indeed be a great 660(ti) card when you look at the market, and the price is way too high.

8. Wanny

Wanny Guest

It will wait for me. I just spent the cash on a hydraulic seatpost for my mountain bike. Had to choose between hardwares. :)

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Tesla use same GPU that is in GeForce cards. G80, GT200, GF100 etc.
    Except that DP/SP does not get capped.

G is proly GPU ;)

Well I thought you were talking about making money :) , and unlike gamers, professionals do pay those prices.
    Nvidia grip on proffesional market is strong enough so they can hold it even with old GF100 derivatives.

That's the reason. And not that nvidia wouldnt make as much money from releasing gk110 on an immature process compared to gk104

GK104 was needed asap, GK110 can wait for a while.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i hope that a joke, cause no way in hell would i pay that price, if that true I hate to see how big the nvidia balls are on there highend card pricing

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    By the time that is out 28nm will be substantially cheaper and this will be much cheaper and the big card will be something along the price of this card.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so basicly there scamming (bad choice of word? maybe price gauging better) earlier adapters?

13. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No idea to know for sure, but if the cost price is as high as is being suggested, then no they wont be scamming, and the fact that even AMD seem very resistant to reducing prices kinda suggests that costs are very high.

Best to wait it out until things calm down i think, that is what i'm planning anyway.

14. sony1978a

sony1978a Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 OC
    new vid cards ar waste.

Why is nvidia and ati releasing new cards for?? What games are there to utilise this cards? If you ask me none, and it’s all thanks to gay outdated console’s. game makers are just porting the games from consoles to PC, so we don’t need hi end gpus to run them, i will give you an example, the new STALKER 2 is now been anoused for consoles so i believe its going to be ported to pc so we are no longer getting good PC made games, the new stalker 2 is going to look like crap thanks to console's.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    old news it will be same thing when the newer console come out too

16. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Actually Stalker 2 is on death row due to all the first games being PC only, so it's unlikely it will ever look like anything, but i do hope they find the funds.

Metro2033 was multi-platform and destroyed all of the Stalker games when it came to visuals.

Fact is that these days the only games that push PC hardware are console ports, Diablo III or any other PC exclusive certainly don't.

17. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Don't like the idea having hardware slow down just because developers are catering more for consoles, progress is still progress after all. There's always one or two developer teams that will want to push the limits, until then these cards can be used for multi-monitors or an AA utopia experience.

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Seeing from the benchmarks I was surprised to see the GTX 590 in the top 3 and in some cases came number one.

Considering that the 590 is several years old, it's amazing it still kicks ass...

19. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    several?........

20. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah.

It pissed all over GTX 680 in the following games:

Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (2nd place)
    Far Cry 2 (2nd place)
    Metro 2033 (2nd place)
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 (2nd place)
    Battlefield 3 (1st place)
    Crysis 2 (2nd place)
    Alien Vs Predator (2nd place)

Ok so I exagerrated a little, it only came 1st in one title. However, it came second place in every other game.

If it wasn't for the beastly GTX 580 Mars II edition it would of come first in every game.

The GTX 590 was roughtly 15-20% faster than the GTX 680 in most game benchmarks.

The only point I'm making is that even though the 590 is an old card, it still performs astonishingly great even though it costs an arm, leg & head....