GeForce GTX 680 3-way SLI review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We review the GeForce GTX 680 in 3-way SLI. The boards used come from Point of View. Over the next few pages we'll tell you a bit about multi-GPU gaming the challenges the requirements and of course...

More...

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    You guys really should have a naming convention so that there are no 'Crossfire', 'X2', 'Crossfire 2x', 'CFX', 'SLI', and '2-way SLI' naming in the same diagram. =b

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  3. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Would you just look at that terrific scaling from 2 to 3 cards in Crysis 2.

91 frames with 2 cards and 93 frames with 3 cards.

Remind me to shoot anyone who buys 3 of these, SLIs two of the 2104SP cards or anything more than one of the upcoming dual cards.

There is just no need for it at this point.

Unless that scaling is a driver issue then that's a brutal CPU bottleneck. That's a sad day if no amount of money can get you a 120frame min for those with a 120hz monitor who can afford 3 GPUs.

4. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    :eek2: Didn't expect that much of a bottleneck.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I think its a driver problem. look at metro 2033 aswell for instance. 580sli one fps slower then 680gtx sli

6. poo417

poo417 Master Guru

GPU:
    There does seem to be a driver problem with DX11 games in particular. I have seen a tri and surround review and the scaling is better but also more driver bugs.

The fact that the 7950 tri-fire in quite a few DX11 games is similar or even better at the highest resolution is pointing towards something weird. Hopefully it is not bandwidth related to the memory and just driver related.

7. Alien_Zero

Alien_Zero Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 1080
    Why there is no 3 monitor 5760x1080 benchmark ?!?

That's what I am running with 3 GTX480 and might upgrade to 3 GTX680!

8. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 2080Ti FE
    Well now that review is messed up. When i used 2x 580's then tried 3x 580's i got around 15% improvement in all my games and benchmark tests.

Seeing next to no difference between 2-way SLI and 3-way SLI with the 680's screams driver bug. It was as if the third card hadn't been properly linked or activated.

I'm calling it a bad SLI bridge or premature drivers. No way should you get results like that going from 2-way to 3-way.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, this isn't the first review to show how poor the scaling is when going from 2-3 cards, as it's noticeably poorer than the GK110 scaling.

Even going from 1-2 cards could be better.

Really like the inclusion of the 3960X though, actually made more of a difference that i thought, and it does make you wish games scaled as well as Futuremark's engines.

10. Bentez

Bentez Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080Ti
    Crysis 2 has a frame cap of 100FPS which is why the SBe couldn't push the score higher

11. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Suprised to see alot of the benchies at 2560X1600 resolution got a big boost on fps when hilbert oc'ed the cpu to 4.6ghz, wow from 180 to 210 fps just oc'ed the cpu and at that resolution, that is amazing, thought it wouldnt move the fps counter to 1 cause its all basically gpu bound at that resolution.

The only title on the review that didnt budge and was NOT surprised at all is metro 2033, @ 2560X1600 res, fps stayed the same regardless of cpu overclock, farcry 2 had a huge boost, from 180-210, that is very staggering, @ 2560X1600 and aa being applied, that is very amazing, just overclock cpu.

Nice review. seems drivers needs to be more mature before alot more improvements.

I am highly more interested in the dual ati or nvidia cards at the moment. once I see both of them, make descision, this 590 is up for sale.

Off topic here for a sec, I notice some benchies had af hq turned on, ok, I thought that was for ati cards only, is there a way to enable AF HQ version on nv? if so, any link please.

12. h0d

h0d Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    Nice review ! It is lame how the 3-way sli doesn't worth the price.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    havenĀ“t digested all of it,but i say with better drivers,you can see a big different picture.
    however...3 SLI is more on a cuting -edge side of gaming,a normal guru will go with normal SLI or a powerfull single card.
    Thanks Hilbert for your reviews,you always bring light to the dark upgrade path !

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    it wasn't only an overclock it was change from [FONT=verdana,geneva]Core i7 965 Extreme @ 3.8 GHz to Core i7 3960 Extreme @ 4.6 GHz :p so rather big jump[/FONT]

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Darn good review Hilbert :thumbup: , now im a little dissapointed at how poor Tri-Sli its scaling , might be a Driver Bug but even CX 3 HD7950 get to beat the Tri Sli GTX 680s here and there , im still think AMD/ATI Scales much better in multi GPU set ups Crossfire X. Now i bet Crossfire X 3x HD7970s and that 3960X @ 4.6 would be a different story and it would be trading blows more often than not with the Tri-Sli GTX 680s and 3960x @ 4.6 set up , it would be a very close Match.

16. panaghoy88

panaghoy88 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 560 1 GB DDR5
    I'll wait for the Multi-monitor review coming up. It's the only way to justify using tri-SLI setup. You have that much graphics power, it just begs to be used in 5760x1200 resolution.

17. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Could you test the myth Tom's Hardware brought along when they tested and claimed three-way SLI and Crossfire to have significant less micro-stutter compare to two-way SLI and Crossfire?

For me this might actual be an argument itself for grabbing a three-way SLI solution instead of a two-way just to get rid of the horrid issue of micro-stuttering I tend to get with multi-GPU solutions.

But I would hate to grab three cards just to see the same amount of added micro-stutter from multi-GPU solutions as with two cards.

18. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga RTX2070XCUltra
    I think this review showed the potential this card has and what it really needs is mature drivers and huge processing power.

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Once you go over above 2xphysical cards the scaling has always been hit and miss,not worth the money for the price to performance ratio,bring me some high end games that take full advantage of the highend pc hardware and i may change my outlook on it,another reason why i like dual gpus(quads) as the scaling is generally better than 4 physical cards and alot cheaper in price.

20. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    The 7970 X2 beats the 680 SLI in the most GPU intensive games. Metro and Crysis2.
    Very interesting results. 3 way SLI is a waste and just for e peen.