GeForce GTX 580 SLI review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Nov 9, 2010.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3090 H2O
    Great Review Hilbert :thumbup: , The numbers are exactly what i expected , really nothing new here :/ , Im going to hold on to my 480 and wait for the HD 6970 to compare numbers. Huge cpu bottleneck in SLI this cards ehh :D.

2. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    awesome, can't wait to see ati high-end gpu, the hd6870 crossfire says it all about the performance of this card in crossfire..

3. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    cheapest i've seen for the uk is £385 inc vat @ ebuyer, still waiting to see if the 480's drop in price though, other wise its a no brainer

4. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    HH DELIVARS

On another note, WHAT GRAPHIC CARD DO I GET WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN I'm so confused :'(

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    What i ment HD6870 CFX is better bang. Cheaper , less power and more performance. No brainer really.

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    I would go with GTX580 over 2*HD6870's.

It's much better idea to have one high-end card and no need to wait for driver support for new games. Hell, new game comes out, you play it and pass it once, then after that you get driver profile to support 2 gpu's. No need to worry about microstuttering either. One high-end card is just much more trouble free solution and perfrorming as it's supposed to right from the start.

EDIT: I would say the same thing if it's was HD6970 (performing as GTX580) vs 2*HD6870, this has nothing to do about me prefering Nvidia cards.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Agreed.

Obviously to each their own, but I'm astounded by some people on here who instantly dropped over 1k for 2x580.. its like.. really?? For what purpose?
    Naturally some people have the $ and want the best, but unless their main goal is to play Metro2033 completely maxxed at 50fps I don't see the value at all. Not only that but the power draw and heat output will be huge even despite the improvements over the 4 series.

I guess I just fail to see the value in doing that when like mentioned you could grab 2x6870 and be laughing after only spending $600 instead of $1200

At very least wait until the 6970 comes out.. obviously the price on the 580 will drop

@Tat3: I could understand that for sure.. however the Xfire support with the new drivers for 6 series is said to be better than prior series

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If i was rich and could spend that kind of money, i'd do it, why? Stability. Granted due to deciding on stability premises, i'd have to go with not doing SLI or Crossfire, but if i for some reason had to, it'd be nvidia, stability is everything

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ fair enough. Again, I'm not a fan of one or the other, I'm a fan of value. Getting a 580 day of release is not what i would consider getting decent value at 600 a pop. But again that's just my opinion. Stability wise you're absolutely right..

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    nice review boss :)

11. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    if 6970 scales like the 6870 in cfx...then...you will need at least 3x470 or even 3x480 to match it... :) if you even trifire 6970 you will need quadsli 480...if you quadfire 6970 then even 3x580 will be much slower...nvidia is...losing...they needed something more powerful than gf110...what a bad decision from the green side...they underestimated cayman, and they will pay for that...

12. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    this is getting ridiculous, new releases that improve so little over the last gen on the highend part.

13. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Well, that's the problem with SLI/CF. When I was buying my 260 SLI they used to cost almost the same as 1 285. It was no brainer.

However... Microstuttering is a real issue. The most of games worked really well for me. I updated drivers on a regular basis, and there are SLI profiles for all of the games which I play except for 1.
    The latest CoD and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 work really great with SLI (and probably with CF too), however it sometimes happens so that stuttering kicks in. It really rarely happens when having constant 60fps, but it may appear around 40-50 and in such case the animation may be less smooth than with single card at 30+ fps.
    There's frame lag too - if one card has 60fps you wait 16ms for a frame, but SLI/CF with 60fps = 32ms for a frame. So you get extra 16ms lag with dual cards (doing the same as 1 more powerful) at 60fps, and double that at 30fps. It's quite a lot for shooters.

Back to the topic - I don't really think 580 SLI is worth the money. I would say that the benefits over 6870CF are not enough to justify the purchase... on the other hand if framerate is much more stable (and I don't know if it is or not), it may be a good choice for people who don't have to care about the money. The only situation where I think 580 SLI is a great option is 3D Vision - 2 cards rendering frames for 2 eyes. I'd like to see 2D vs 3D / single vs SLI benchies of a few games.

14. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    If you have a GTX 480 now, I don't see any point in upgrading to this, but if you have a anything less than a 470 or 5850, and can drop $500, I can't see any reason not to grab this hot tamale. (ok, maybe waiting for 6900 series in a week or two).

15. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Trying hard not to cry about my impatience in upgrading to a 480....meh, I had enough of waiting. Also ordered an i7 yesterday, gonna be some more qq when the first S.B benches come out :(

16. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    me too :( my 480's are less than 1 month old :( and rumors about the 580 were out after I got my cards like 1 or 2 days :bang::bang::bang:

The improvements are not that much but as HH said finally crysis can be played on enthusiast with AA enabled over 60+ FPS all the time. well I can play crysis warhead on 1920x1200 on my 480 SLI with no problems with nearly 60 FPS most of the time but at some occasions FPS will drop to below 50 "45 sometimes 40 and below even very rare like in 1 or 2 times below 30"

but as someone said that is what i expected from paying a 1000 bucks on 2 of 480 "Evga superclocked"

my crysis warhead settings are enthusiast, 16xq, vsync, all eye candy maxed out. I think all 4x supersampling is enabled too. 60+ FPS all the time is very impressive indeed.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  17. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    It's all good, you have to remember that a lot of the performance increase is from the increased clocks, my card is overclocked to what you see in my specs, so I think if you compared that to a 580 with the same clocks, the difference would be very little because then it would remove the clocks from the equation and it would just come down to the extra SPs which would be like a 5% difference in total power. If you have you cards OC'd which you clearly do...then it's no loss. I did the same thing last gen. I had a 280 and not a 285. Upgrades are always relative to what you had previously and as an early adopter this time, waiting for the 6 series refresh will be too long away too, so i'll probably do the same.

There aren't many demanding games coming out these days anyway. Crtek said regarding cryengine 3 "it will have twice the performance of cryengine 2 at a comparable visual fidelity" so I think even if crysis 2 isn't a league ahead...it will be in performance. So I'm all good, brign on the 600 series none of this pu$$y refresh nonsense ;)

18. Mostafa Hijazi

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    I guess you're right ! but your clocks , stock cooler ? did you increase voltage ? I got mine 800/1600/2000 . why you have your memory to 1000 ?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  19. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Yep stock cooler. Stock voltage. the bios on my card was 1.087 by default. It actually went to 1.088 for some reason in afterburner, I didn't set it to that but it just set itself to that :S

I didn't even have to calibrate it, I just set it to those clocks ran a ton of benchmarks etc and it's been running perfect since day one.

65% fan speed, never goes over 81c.

I just had those clocks recommended to me from someone on here who had done trial and error, so I knew what to aim for. I haven't tried for higher, but as with all overclocking, trying for that little bit more is always dengerous and I didn't want to overvolt.

Memory clocks are the big heat producer on the 480 so I suppose the fact that it is 1000 instead of 1050 is why I can get the other clocks higher.

20. Mostafa Hijazi

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    did you down clock your memory clocks to 1000 ? i think by default it's 1900. does it affect performance ?