Geforce GTX 580 running VERY hot

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Nicole, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    its ok, at least its better than stock. its diamond based, it may or may not scratch up the IHS

2. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Make sure your warranty with E-VGA is good first before you open it up, I totally bricked my GTX 295 when I opened it up, luckily E-VGA gave me a replacement card (GTX 570).

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Also rem it's not only the gpus cpu that needs cooling. Your ram will have some thermal pads, but you might know this already OP.

They can be easily replaced as well but ofc you need to buy them as well. Best check they are ok n just do the tim.

If done right you might get a good 5-10c drop with cleaning + tim, which should keep you around the 80c mark, but it is strange you are crashing at say around 85c...

P.s My 580 with stock fan could get up to the high 80's with some games..

rem using vsync will reduce temps.

4. Nicole

Nicole New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 580
    I'm going to redo the thermal paste if I have any problems after today.

Last night I played Sleeping Dogs for 4 hours and it never crashed. It turned out after checking event viewer the same .sys file was always the one experiencing a problem. This in turn with the high temperatures is more than likely why I was having so many crash problems. I never got a BSOD or a pure "freeze" of my computer so it didn't seem to me like it was the video card and I think at this point after FINALLY cleaning my computer of every NVIDIA file (I tried driver sweeper every time, their clean install about 15 times or so at this point, and manual removal about 5+). I used a program called Driver Fusion which finally did it for me.

Now that I have a "truly clean install" this file isn't crashing. I didn't see it because it never stated in Windows - just in the event viewer.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    run a custom fan profile, if your running on auto fan it will heat things up especially oc

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I changed thermal paste on my GTX 570 to MX-3 and the difference was nothing. Those cards come with pretty good paste already but who knows, maybe reapplying would change something. Maybe the contact is not the best. I assume that OP has decent case air cooling?

7. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
    This...mine never get over 65C... you need to have the fan ramp up as temps rise.

8. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Just curious.. try limiting your FPS. Access your frame limiter in the nvidia control panel and set it to 59, 60. Launch the game, monitor the temps.

9. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Make sure VSYNC is on, if it's off your FPS may skyrocket and temps will rise with that. Also, use a custom fan profile...I force my FAN on my GTX 590 to 75% when gaming...it's a tad noisy but it's never seen anything above 70C on either core in ANY game ever.