GeForce GTX 580 rears its head

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    I hope someone gets this joke...

[​IMG]

2. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    no 512bits controller on this PCB and even not 2go .... count the chips on back ... 12 = 1.56go and 384 bits .. ( if it's the GTX580 )

It's effectively really similar of the Quadro 6000 or of the 480 without the heatpipes on the cooler.

So, no 512bits controller, forget 2go of Vram ( anyway GDDR5 is made for work on 256bits, not 512bits memory controller ) ....

Count the chips on back ... 12 = 1.56go and 384 bits ..
    ( if it's the GTX580 )

find on another forum: (work made by kaktus )

[​IMG]

Same length, same memory controller .... outside the hole under the fan, the PCB and the component are completely identical.

And as for the Cooler, this is surely only an ES sample, they can use any cooler, they don't care to push the fan and the noise for test them.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

lol i think im the only one that did

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ye that "GTX580" photo looks a lot like a GTX480 w/ out the heatpipes, that photo looks sketchy.

deltatux

5. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 1060

nope i did to lol

6. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    680, I'd like to point out that nvidia is naming their cards in even intervals for desktop cards. Ergo I am very suspicious of this information.

Does nobody remember what happened when the 5800 radeons were released? The rumors pegged the 480GTX 1 month away for almost half a year until it was finally released.

7. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There's many many reason to rename it to the 580, even if it seems the card is just a 512SP 480 ....

8. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Name them?

The only one i can think of is to make it seem like it's a new generation of cards because ATI have gone onto their 6 series.

Why would the average consumer want to buy a GTX485 when ATI are releasing the 6 series? They want to jump up in order for people to think it's a new line, when it isn't. Something Nvidia are good at since the 9 series.

9. heaven's_dragon

heaven's_dragon Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 460 1gb
    company will name it whatever sell it.....and wht's in name? we seek for performance n price...ain't we?

10. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pressed send by accident without finish the post and have leave home then...

- The GTX4xx have not really sell well ( only the GTX460 and not so much )+ this year is to forget for Nvidia .... Late, difficult launch, not enough card ready at start ( just GTX470-480) even if the card is same, they will play with that.

- AMD have release his HD6xxx .... it's better for them to move on. They will not get anything ready before 28nm .... It's better for them to rename the refresh with a new codename. And don't let the feelings they are 1 generation behind.

Even if the architecture is the same, they will surely try separate it for give the feeling it's a real new card and they have fix all ...

I don't say it's good reason ....I just say they have some reason.

11. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20676-geforce-gtx-580-to-launch-in-november

Just read this on the fud....

better, improved, hot and fast..

We came across some interesting information regarding Nvidia's response to Cayman. The new chip from Nvidia, codenamed GF110 is going to launch in November, most likely before Cayman. AMD set its launch date around November 20 and Nvidia is likely to launch the GF110 a bit earlier.

It is not only that the chip will have more than 480 cores, we dare not say 512, but all these cores will be improved. Nvidia had more than a year to work on this mid-life kicker, something that can compete with AMD's Cayman and could likely end up as the fastest GPU on the market.

First reports indicate that it will get available for around $499 but this will very much depend on Cayman performance and pricing.

The cards are in production as we speak, almost ready to ship at launch. Now its all a matter of politics and deciding when to launch them. As the winter in the northern hemisphere draws near the Cayman and the GF110 will come in quite handy, as both will generate enough heat to keep gamers cozy at sub-zero temperatures.

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    except for AMDs are true next gen.
    While GTX580 will be just another hot fermi

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True next gen my arse, the 6870 was nothing more than a slightly faster, more efficient, but hotter 5850, tessellation is still last gen, and adding a console feature like MLAA is laughable if its a "next gen" card.

So based on that, i expect the 6970 to be a fast, but more than likely very hot card too.

The 6k cards from AMD, and GTX5xx cards from Nvidia are not much more than rebrands of the last generation.

True Next gen will not be here until 28nm, these cards are nothing more than small upgrades to keep us happy, and to try and get one up on the competitor.

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-radeon-hd-6870-review/9

Where did you get idea that HD6870 is hotter than HD5850 ?

It offers more performance at lower power consumption. I'd say it's true next gen.

Tessellation also was improved , along with many other things.

I think you misunderstood what next gen means.

15. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It's a refresh card, and it's a great card, but next gen it isn't. The next gen cards will arrive ~Q2 2011 in the form of 28nm parts.

As far as the 6970/580 go, the heat/power arguments that the proponents of AMD are so fond of aren't going to be a factor this time as both cards are going to run relatively hot with a high tdp.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You said true next gen though!!

If the next Nvidia card out isn't true next gen, then how are the 6800 cards true next gen cards?

No-one is denying the 6870 is a great succesor to the 5850, even more so comparing the 6850 to the 5830, but they aren't huge upgrades.

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Basicaly what you mean by next gen is die shrink.

Can't really agree with that.

What i understand by next gen is improved architecture.

18. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    For me, next gen is a new GPU architecture.

However - nothing wrong with a good refresh inbetween.

Emphasis on good and not just a higher clock with insane price tag.

19. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    No, basically, your contention seems to be that the 6xxx is 'next gen' because you like AMD but the 580 isn't because you don't like Nvidia.

Neither the AMD 6xxx series or the Nvidia 5xx series are next gen by the industry definition of next gen.

What you consider next gen is entirely irrelevant.

20. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Very much doubt theres an "industry definition" of what Next gen is, its a phase open to interpretation.

So no, what another guu's opinion on such is by no means irrelevant.

Please show some basic respect

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.