GeForce GTX 580 3-way SLI review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    yeah i wanna see this as well.
    oh lol you wrote like HH owns a computer shop and can have any piece of hardware anytime he wants

2. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    3rded

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sorry but no, I'm not redoing all benchies. We've tested this in the past with the 980X and the 480'ies, the difference as explained multiple times now is NIHIL to NIL. The updated Turbo throttle mode can make a tiny bit of a difference here and there but overall the difference is very hard too measure. Once overclocked, which everybody does at that enthusiast level, the Turbo mode is disabled as well.

If you want to drop a full G for the two extra cores, by all means go ahead. But gaming and value wise it will not make much difference.

4. Matrices

Matrices Member

These CPU-bound results clearly illustrate the need for you to update your review methodology: instead of using one 25x16 display, perhaps use 3x1080p displays for Surround, or even more intensive, 3x1080p 3D displays. Either setup will push far more pixels than just one 30" display.

It would also be more useful to do this overall, as I highly doubt that anyone who can actually afford three top-end cards is going to have only 30" monitor now that options like Surround and 3D are available for high-end buyers.

5. yuri.mitsuk

yuri.mitsuk Member Guru

GPU:
    radeon 6950 2gb unlock'd
    Hey hilbert awesome review!! Out of curiosity would pushing this cpu or any other I7 to 4-4.2ghz remove that bottleneck or is something even higher needed say 4.4?

6. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    yes :)

7. yuri.mitsuk

yuri.mitsuk Member Guru

GPU:
    radeon 6950 2gb unlock'd
    yes what?? 4-4.2 or more like 4.4?

8. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    given that dual 580s in SLI is already bottlenecked, i'd say youre looking at an i7 hexacore at least to ease the bottleneck of dual 580s.

youd have to overclock the i7 hexacore pretty far to get decent scaling at 1920x1080. at 2560x1600, the bottleneck isnt so bad.

the other option is to run triple monitor with high res. that way it shifts the burden more to the gpu.

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    if with 2 cards you get microstutters, i presume with 3 cards you would get even more?