GeForce GTX 580 3-way SLI review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Oh alright one more before the weekend starts.

So 30 minutes after our GeForce GTX 580 review we started receiving e-mails 'ehm Hilbert could you possibly do an article on 3-way SLI as well'. Well sure...

More...

2. Vistixx

Vistixx Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 460
    I'm a little confused by reading this:

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Still fixing some small stuff ... don't worry.

4. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Brilliant review as always, thanks Hilbert for including so many cards, and sli setups... was nice to see 470's sli, with an i7 vanilla :)

5. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Those things need 3 monitors for wide gaming. Total waste with 1. =)
    Higher resolution is better.

6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yep.

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Nice review, it seems that you need 3 monitors to really enjoy those 3 cards, or Metro2033 with 2560*1600 resolution with some eye-candy turned on.

Shader clocks are wrong.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No ... they're not :dave:

Fixed ;)

9. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    So.... would we be able to expect 4 way SLI with EVGA SR 2 and 2 Xeon CPUs review? :D
    There is really no more point on going there anyway, but still would be interesting to see.

10. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    It would be nice if more apps/games would reaspond to tri like bc2.
    never really liked tri anything personally and for my monitor size never needed.

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  13. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Nice review , Hilbert and co !!!

14. mameira

mameira Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    looks like its time to take out CoD MW2 O.O

15. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    You know what I find odd is, MW2 is on these lists, and I can only assume because it's popular, not graphically intense, but how about some StarCraft 2 numbers? Again, not a graphically intense game, but one of the most popular PC games at current, try it with stuff like 4x AA forced and all that, Super-sampling.

I'd like to see that in some reviews.

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That's often due to benchmarking complexity versus time available.

We had a timedemo for StarCraft, tested like 15 cards. Then a new build comes along, boom .. the recording timedemo doesn't work anymore.

We redo the recording, benchmark numbers are slighty different, we retest cards yet another patch is later on released .. boom ... timedemo doesn't work anymore.

So, there's a certain amount of time we can spend on things in order to push out all the articles that we do. If stuff like patches mess up stuff then we simply have to boot the title.

Try and understand, go test StarCraft in four resolutions. Now imagine that with say 15 cards ... then you have the results, yet can throw them away again .. and later on again.

And to the other MSG, yeah we might switch to COD Black Ops soon. I just need to finish the game and seek the more GPU complex level to measure in. They still use the same 3D engine though.

17. Rjudgey

Rjudgey Member

GPU:
    MSI HAWK GTX460 1GB SLI
    3 way sli

Nice review and i think we all new that this would be the base with a quad core but what about if you are running an I7980 Hexa Core or even better an EVGA SR2 with Dual Quad or Dual Hexa Core like your 4 way sli review and record attempt rig. Most people dropping this much into 3 GTX580's will clearly be rich and spending bit more on I7980 or all lot extra for SR2 with Dual sockets would really not be worried about cost. Personally feel that I'd be happy with just two and a heavily overclocked I7950 just wish someone out there would design a motherboard that doesn't cost a fortune that has better SLI spacing for just two GPU's! I love my Asus Sabertooth X58 but has been a real struggle finding GPU's that do not cook themselves after 30 minutes went through 3 Asus GTX460 1GB's seeing as everything was ASUS and listed as SLI compatible i would have thought they'd test things like thermals and noise to make sure it's acceptable but clearly not!

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Unless you are after 3DMark benchmark scores six or more CPU cores is not going to make a difference with today's games whatsoever.

Three and then MAYBE 4 cores are utilized with some titles, after that the rest of them will sit in idle.

19. Rjudgey

Rjudgey Member

GPU:
    MSI HAWK GTX460 1GB SLI
    Extra CPU cores

So how comes when ever I've seen 3 way sli whether it's from 3 GTX-260's to 3 GTX-470's when a I7980 has been added it's sorted out the CPU bottle neck and the 3rd GPU actually starts to perform better? Did you try a I7980 just out of curiosity and made absolutely no difference? Has it just got to the point where a GTX580 is so powerfull that makes no difference now. Notice you have a 980 in your own rig does it make much of a difference from a 950 in normal everyday stuff to justify the 3X price over a 950?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  20. TheSarge

TheSarge Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Hey Hilbert, test this setup again with a i7-980X or a i7-970 and see if throwing six cores at the games (instead of four) helps alleviate the CPU bottleneck. You still have an Intel six-core CPU kicking around the shop?