GeForce GTX 480 noise levels debunked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I wana see 3 GTX480s in SLI under vantage extreme and see what happens :p

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    /\ besides the computer melting down you mean?

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    getting alittle carried away with the heat and noise are we?

the cards not much louder the a 295 or as hot or use more power and is just as fast or faster.

the cards fan wont ramp up till 90c its being fixed with a new bios..and dont even go there cus ati is he leader in broken fan control.

bitch all you want the 470 is the best deal in a higher end offering today in the vga market.

im totally sick of frimgut chat good or bad.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I wasssss joking.. i thought quite obviously, but maybe not?

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It's not possible to fix the fan via drivers. To say it is is to not understand the nature of the problem.

The cooler is already the loudest cooler of any card in recent memory (ever?) and even at that loud level, is still the hottest running card in recent memory (ever?)

How is this fixable with a driver, or BIOS fix? What options have they? To turn up the fan? Yes, this brings down the temperature, but increases the noise further. Ramping the fan up more evenly will bring about a slower increase in temperature, no doubt, so that you might be able to game for 5 minutes before hearing the noise, instead of 15 seconds.

But you have to understand that the card will still produce the same amount of heat and that heat still needs to be removed. Regardless of how the fan speeds up and when, the card will still heat up, and the fan speed will have to increase to compensate.

And it's a typical thing, to bring in the opposing manufacturer's mistakes (despite me not having a problem with ATI fan control, ever, nor being familiar with any situation where it's a problem) when you have no real merit to what you're saying.

Unless Nvidia figures out how to allow users to download a larger fan and bigger heatsink, driver and BIOS fixes aren't going to help.

Unless they underclock/throttle the card.

EDIT: And what the hell is frimgut?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    My GTX260's have changed as much as 10c either way with different drivers, so while obviously the fan cannot be sorted, who is to say that the heat problem could not be reduced if efficiency increases.

Its not even the hottest GPU in recent history either, Anantech say the 3870, 4870x2 dual GPU i will admit, but also the 8800GT is even hotter, which sounds plausible as my old one is in my GF's PC, and that idles at 70-75c, and that was also a very noisy, but also very succesful card.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Personally owned a 3870 which was not a hot card at all. This was a case where the fan profile just didn't match the card, probably because of the fan noise from a 2900XT. And you misunderstand heat. It's not the temperature at which the card idles or loads, but the relationship to the noise, cooler, TDP, and temperature that matter. It most certainly is, by large margins, the hottest GPU ever. In fact, if you look at power consumption figures from reviews like Anandtech's you'll see it actually seems to consume more power than a 5970, though I have no explanation for that.

Sure, an 8800GT may have been hot according to the sensor but most of them with the problem were a single slot design which really wasn't a reasonable choice for such a chip. Even so, 8800GTs still weren't as loud as this card is, and still ran about the same temperature, so I feel there's no comparison to be made.

As I said. The only way to cool it down is to increase the fan speed or reduce the power. Drivers can do that, but you've got to either make it louder, slower, or both. There's not much other option.

What's more, the card leaves no room for case configuration or dust.

Putting the card in a more real world situation, instead of on a desk, in a case with poor airflow, or a couple weeks/months/(years?!) dust accumulation on it is going to make it all the more hot and all the more loud.

In fact, if the thing isn't cleaned monthly, can we even be sure the fan can cope with that?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  8. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    How am i misunderstanding heat, when i talk about heat i mean heat only.

Some people run GTX295's at 100% fanspeed all the time to avoid heat as TDP and noise doesn't matter to them.

Obviously drivers can drop clocks and increase fanspeed, but that not what i mean.
    They can also increase the efficiency of the card, and inturn drop temperature.
    If it can get more performance out the same card, then it can also get the same performance at less stress to the card, which will lead to lower temps.

Stock 8800GT's were a single slot, so had tiny fans which made the most high pitched noise ever.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-YiujI25mU&feature=related

Now your just making up "what ifs"
    Nvidia aren't selling these at less than they probably want to then lose even more money replacing broken cards, when real people start getting these cards, im sure we will see alot fewer issue than people are making out.

While the GTX480 may be one of the loudest cards ever, according to the Guru3d reviews, it is only 1db louder Idle and 2db louder in load compared to my GTX260, so for me its a irrelevant as i will never hear the difference in real life use, not that im likely to get one, but that is nothing to do with fan noise.

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    So redemption you're going for 470 SLI or 480?
    As for the temps and noise i agree with you.

10. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Single 470 to start with, probably SLI if it scales as good as people are claiming.
    Can't justify the price of a 480 to the other half when i need a new PSU and CPU too.

You still waiting for a refresh later in the year, probably no point you upgrading at the moment, but i would see a big performance form either card.

Temps and noise might be a problem for some, but im sitting in a room which has a temp of 14.3c at the moment, which is entirely comfortable for me.

11. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295

To be precise, ANY Radeon 5000 series can Bitstream DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby Digital TrueHD as long as has an HDMI output or a DVI to HDMI adapter, even the mighty Radeon 5450 can.

12. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    I just finished testing an Radeon 5450 (has 64bit bus and 80 shaders) and I put it up with Troy x264 at 14.000 kbits (14mbits) - 1080p with DTS-ES and it playit back with 0% (yes 0) CPU ussage through Media Player Classic HC DXVA, also with Sharpen Complex Filter in DX.

I reiterate again 0 ZERO CPU usage, I REALLY think that with this numbers you don't need a 5770 for an HTPC is WAY too powerful for that.

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    I am not waiting i'll get a GTX470 and gonna SLI later :)

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They also want to game on it, and a 5770 should be fine for 30-60fps in most games.

Memorian, will that not a step down initially?

15. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Nope since GTX470 oc very decently and becomes almost 480(stock).
    Also i really need 3D vision because i am getting 3D projector very soon :)

Edit:I am also waiting for the new forceware 256.xx to see improvements

16. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You lucky...... :p
    3D on a projector would be sweet, DVD analaph 3D on my old 1024x768 projector looks not to bad, the quality is poor, but the fact its around 100inches compensates.

Will be the end of the year before i get a 3DTV.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    OK that settles it. Hilbert debunked the excess noise of Fermi and Anandtech basically showed that the 4890 is less than one friggin decibel difference from the 480. Is the 4890 therefore "insanely loud"? LOL, wasnt aware of that or heard anyone say so prior to this thread.