GeForce GTX 480 noise levels debunked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You do know that is actually pretty quiet, i can bet my 4870, and definetly not my 8800GT would be louder, especually since that is an open seup, which most people won't have, and its recorded using the microphone of the video camera, and anyone who knows anything about sound knows that is a very flawed way to judge.

I just shoved my cellphone 6inches away from my completely closed case and recorded a quick video, and it is about twice as loud as what i hear with my ears.

Guru3D as far as i know were the only place to test this properly, with a db meter.
    Trust your eyes, not your ears.

2. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    If you compare performance vs heat of GTX480 vs a dual 5970 you will see that REALLY, there is no point in comparing a single GPU vs dual because, what it is pretty much obvious is that you cannot break the laws of physics, a monster GPU like the 480 will need almost the same power as a 5970 to perform 30% worse, you cannot deny that fact.

For me, really, there is no merit in being "more powerfull" single GPU if it's going to consume the same as a more powerful dual-gpu combination, AMD was very wise to build a scalable architecture more simplier in design, the whole "more than 6 months delay" just proves my theory, monolithic GPU's should not be made, this one NVIDIA knew from the moment GT200 was out, but, that one had good performance overall.

Performance should always be meassure against power consumption, because, it is pretty basic, power consumption is how much power a device can translate into performance.

Well, a little off-topic but, i just wanted to say it, GTX480 will not last, that's just my perception, it will be replaced, as soon as NVIDIA can, with a similar cooler version, believe me, they knew they have a mamoth in their hands, I just hope they know this for the next GPU and do as AMD did.

3. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    its still too fu*kin loud..be it 2m or only 50cm away..

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    What did you just say? My 4890's are on full whack and I can't hear ****!

5. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    If my fans going to be that loud, I would expect low temps...

6. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The GTX480 is 45db under load, the GTX470 is 42db, my GTX260 is 44db, and even your old underpowered GT250 is 43db under load.

Hot it may be, but i still haven't saw any proof that people aren't cranking up the fan levels to 100%, or using low quality video camera mic's.

I defend Nvidia when things don't add up, i do the same with ATI, or MS or Intel too.

Logic seems too hard for some people, so its easier to just follow the crowd.

7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    I'm a complete low noise fanatic, I have pretty extreme demands. I'd rather use a 500rpm fan than a 800rpm for instance on the graphic card. My CPU has no cooling whatsoever atm and the harddrives are enclosed in Scythe Quiet Drives, softmounted of course.

If we take a look at anandtech's measurements:
    [​IMG]
    The quietest card 5770 according to their test is not quiet enough for me as the smallish fans rotates at a way too high rpm during load. To go from 47,5dB to GTX 480 64,1dB would be nightmarish. After watching all these videos (even guru3d's) I can easily conclude that the card is way way too noisy...
    During the Duron/Athlon XP days many motherboards were actively cooled with small fans (40mm if my memory serves me well), eventually people had enough of them and almost all motherboards are now passive...while we cannot expect this from graphiccards (often much higher power demands) but they should as default at least come with bigger fans which don't have to rotate so fast as to rip apart space and time to get the components decently cool. I think this is bad engineering.

With hifi components no one would accept these type of sound levels from say a high power amplifier.

Also, about distance. Yes, from 2 meters away the card will be quieter but it will still have the same annoying frequency to it's, well..whine. It's not pleasant.

8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Seen.. you haven't SEEN any proof. :)

And who really cranks the fans to 100%? Seriously anyone trying to sit in this thread and claim that they can turn up a 4890 to 100% and not find it the least bit noisy is just an outright lie.
    It doesn't matter what I did in my case I could leave my 4890 at 40% or 100% and both would be loud enough for me to hear. Even at 50% the noise starts to become way too much..

Unless some of you guys have damaged hearing I can't beleive for a second that you could leave your gpu fans spinning that fast 24/7 unless you use headphones all the time or have your rig in some enclosed space that limits how much sound escapes..

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  9. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Those Anantech graphs look way off, they have the 5870 as 19db higher than Guru3D's ones so they are obviously using far different ways of measuring it, more than likely right next to the card.

Also, i got rid of my 4870 because it was too loud, far louder than my GTX260, it was the 512mb one though.
    It also has the 5870 as louder than a 8800GT under load :3eyes:
    Maybe it was my card, but my 8800GT had the loudest most high pitched whine i have every heard from a GPU, put it back in again last year, and it lasted all of 30mins as a PhysX card before it got removed.

ScoobyDooby, recorded sound is always much more exaggerated, i want to see a db meter rating, as well as an onscreen display showing FPS, card temp and fan speed in % and RPM, or are you grammar correcting me lol, ok i suppose haven't makes it seen.

I meant 100% on the GTX480's, who says the videos of the noisy GTX480's aren't what the card sounds like running at 100% fan speed set manually.

I'm not overly anal about fan noise unless it HD Music, and while i can hear my fans at 40% when i have no sound and im 1ft away from my screen, but with movie/game audio and 6-8ft away i can't hear a thing.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  10. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    It really depends on your case design, placement, and the types of fans. I have a P180 with 4 or 5 120x38mm (huge) fans...at 100% speed they do like 160CFM, I always leave them at the lowest setting and it gives a nice low hum.

With my 4870 X2, depending on if its plugged with dust, I can run anywhere between 40-50% and not really notice it as the case absorbs most of the acoustics and the big fans drawn out the smaller fan.

If I put on my head phones I can't hear anything at all (nice Seinhauser ones), however it I go to 60 or 70% I then can hear it even though head phones (with no sound on). Soon as I turn on a game I can't hear it at all.

And this is with the case sitting next to me, if I had it under the desk it would be less audible. It also makes a difference the way you room is as well...carpeted rooms vs hard wood flooring. Sound levels are so subjective that it's nearly impossible to be able to tell someone else "you're right or you're wrong".

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The thing is, for me, I can turn down the fans. The 5770s I have are, as you can see, some of the quietest cards but I still have the opportunity to turn down the fans even more and trade it for a little leftover heat on the card.

You can't even give up 5% for Fermi because you'll have an overheated card.

Surely you must acknowledge that Guru3d's measurements were the loudest of any card.

Further, while I do agree Guru3d's measuring is a more accurate representation of real world, it was also done in a 21C environment. These cards should be expected to operate in 25-30C environments, what then? I imagine the fan becomes a lot louder, very quickly. A 5870 has room for that and you can compensate by simply turning down the fan and letting it heat up to 90C, as a tradeoff...Where's that tradeoff here?

Surely people should be getting their's so we can see user experiences today and tomorrow...if there was any availability at all on "launch"

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Word! I have to run my 4890's at 30% to make them quiet enough not to piss me off! When gaming at more than 50% I have turn my speakers up to drowned out the whine from these suckers!

13. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The 5770's can bitstream the new HD audio formats can't they, cause i really think they would be perfect for a HTPC idea i have for someone, quiet and should be perfect for BluRay movies, and also powerful enough to run games providing they keep moderate settings.

For my gaming PC, i don't have a huge issue with load noise, hard to hear much when i have 4floorstanding speakers, 3 bookshelf ones and a sub all cranked up.

Idle noise is far more important, and since im on the opposite end of the heat scale and keep my house between 14-16c year round, i should have less problems cooling them.

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ 14-16c?? wow that is cold man! I have to keep our place at above 20c and I tend to always wear a sweater around the house cuz I'd be too cold in just a tshirt.

Then again, the insulation in this place reallllly sucks bigtime, so I have to crank the heat higher to compensate.

Anyway, back OT :)

15. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    I run my 8800 GT at 100%... It's a single slot :/

Doesn't bother me.

16. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I have a higher body temp than most people, so have roof fans on, even in the winter lol.

My GPU still seems to idle in the mid-late 50's though, thats why i want to see one of these in a shop i go to, before i make up my mind if they are too hot/noisy for me.

TroM, even when not gaming?
    If it's anything like the BFG 8800GT i had, no way i could put up with that, those were the only cards that truly annoyed me noise wise, fan is just too small to operate at anything other than very high rpm's.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    its next to the case probably max 50cm away not like here in guru3d ~1.5m away, that's why its higher doh lol..

i have my case ~75cm away from me, its under the table and when i hear the gpu at 70% its annoying as hell, i dont even want to think about 100%, my old leadtek 8800gts was almost silent at 70%, it had custom stock fan on it.

now if i compare these 2 fans with 480gtx, the 480 sounded like a turbo jet:bang:, lol even my 250 sounds like it but this 480 is allot worse..

18. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    as long your speakers put out more noise nothing to complain.

19. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    But you don't have a GTX480 to compare it against do you.

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    all those videos where/looked convincing enough.

If not to you fine buy 3, idc lol