GeForce GTX 480 noise levels debunked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I know Guru3d has their measurements, and maybe they got a good/tweaked card...But I'm seeing A LOT more videos/reports of extremely loud 480s than I am of quiet ones.

This card seems really, really loud. I can't wait until everyone gets the ones they no doubt ordered/are ordering and we hear first-hand reports from them.

What about people with no AC in the summer? Those poor people.

It also needs to be acknowledged that Guru3d took the measurements in a 70F room. That's toward the low-end of ambient temps I would expect the cards to be in. So Guru3d's review may be a "best case"

2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    No idea, but it would've been a smaller problem if the fan as default would've been bigger making it possible to run at a lower RPM.

3. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    Have that card come to my home at summer with 40 degrees celcius and I will show you what cooking is really all about.

4. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    hahah get the Coolermaster HAF922 instead of the Antec P180, i got it and the airflow is amazing :D

5. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    Yes, absolutly, but my P180 is opened, I've never use PC's closed at the Lab, so it's no problem of airflow, more so a problem with mother earth not wanting to give me a colder summer :)

6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    You could always commandeer a HARP facility, target the earth in multiple locations with high magnitude earthqakes, and shift the axis of the Earth so that you can position Argentina away from the sun :giggle2:

7. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    i always dreamed of designing my own case and add my own Custom Side Fan (like the one below), that i think guarantees a continious airflow :D lol

other great ideas that i have is incorporating an Air Condition System and a PC Case in teh same box :nerd:

[​IMG]

8. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 SLI
    Long live the P18x series, my P183 is awesome.

9. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    As a p182 user I don't completely close it either, I have the sidepanel slightly leaned instead. This gives components more fresh air accessible. Also seems to give less problems with dust..

10. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    That post alone make my day, hahahha,.

11. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I used to have a 2900 XT overclocked....it was loud and hot....and didnt perform the greatest (though without AA it was pretty powerful).

The GTX 400 series to me is like the 2900 XT, except has a better cooler and performs better...but would I get that kind of card again? Well right now I don't have any money, but if I was going to build a new system I'd be waiting for Bulldozer and ATI's true next gen @ 28nm...

And to answer the question at the end...in order to properly simulate playback sounds you would have to also have a sound measurement tool, stand 75cm from the speakers and then play it back and adjust volume until the db reader was the same in the video with your own.

12. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Same here

13. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Not to me, at least this is godly fast, not just loud and hot.

thankfully ex-owner of HD 2900XT...

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    not for nothing but dont you guys think if the bios did not wait till 90c to ramp up the fan it would run cooler?
    its not much hotter or louder then the gtx295 as it is now.

its not louder then a 4890 so move along,plus the fact most who compare it to a 2900xt have never seen one or for that matter used one

15. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 @ 925/4900 Rivamod
    It's a fast card. It uses a lot of power, so quite a lot of heat is generated. It's still to expensive tough...
    I have a HAF 932, so cooling the thing won't be a problem. What IS a problem is that when I want to install either the 470 or 480 I have to upgrade the PSU AND my processor. When I would buy a 5870, I would only have to upgrade my processor. A Q9550 or something similar. That processor uses less power than my heavily OC E6600 (3.71 on 1.54 V).

I'm running this with a 4870 OC.

I don't care about the noise it makes. My sound system is PA so it is way louder anyway :).

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
  17. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    No, it's fast, but it's not godly fast by anyone estimation.

And that video wasn't as bad as others I've seen. Still kind of loud, but I think it would've been bearable in a case on the floor.

Not ideal though. And how loud would it be in a case with poor air flow?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  18. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    In terms of single GPUs, it is. Not even worst fanboi can call 20-25% higher min fps bad for first drivers.

19. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I do believe I specifically said it was fast. But using the term "godly fast"? Come on, it's not that much better.

20. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    What problem do you have what I said again? What way is it wrong that it is imo very good boost?