GeForce GTX 470 graphical issue...looking for some insight

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Groovinguru, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Groovinguru

Groovinguru New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX470 1.2
    Greetings all,

New to the site and forum. Have been trying to find a resolution for a graphical issue i have with my GTX 470. Not nearly a guru at anything related so i thought i would ask an informed panel here :)

Following links show the graphical issue I am having. Games currently affected Left 4 dead 2, Eq2, Rift beta, Cod MW2, and CoD Black ops.

1. L4D2 -* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ymZIqB_MIY*

2. Rift beta - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRiO_vZNoH4&feature=related*

3. Rift beta - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeaTNQutGFA*

Has anyone had this issue and looking for a way to resolve it pronto.

Thanks!

2. Mikel7

Mikel7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX970/4096Mb
    Looks to me like an error when calculating shadows have u tried installing another driver yet?

3. Groovinguru

Groovinguru New Member

GPU:
    Yup clean installed both the current drivers as well as the new beta drivers given to me by Nvidia during the current troubleshoot i have in the works. Problem still exists. My rep doesnt seem to know what the problem is and am running a video stress test as i type this. I can notice a similar distortion in part of the stress test which doesn't bolster any hope atm =(

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Looks like "normal" GPU failure to me.

Have you overclocked?
    How recent did you get the card?
    What are your temps?

That should narrow it down.

5. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    If your card is not overheating or you dont have it overclocked too much, its certainly faulty card.

6. Groovinguru

Groovinguru New Member

GPU:
    No overclock, received computer new in April of 2010, dont know temps, do not have a utility to monitor but now that this is going on would sure like some advice on one to DL tmw. Too tired to look for one atm

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Use something like MSI Afterburner, in the settings enable the OSD so you can see the temps as you play.

8. Groovinguru

Groovinguru New Member

GPU:
    Temps didnt go above 87 while playing L4D2 and having the graphical problem on screen

9. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Try reseating your card a couple times

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Looks to me like GPU overheating...or dying.

11. Groovinguru

Groovinguru New Member

GPU:
    Took out the card, cleaned out everything, seated it and can only say its slightly "better". The distortion frequency and size have diminished but still exist.

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    L4d2 is a gpu and memory issue, if you didnt OC maybe its getting to little juice try and raise it a little for around +0.010v

13. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    You can try to downclock your card a little to see if it clears up im not sure what version of the GTX 470 you have

14. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    Looks like a faulty card, namely a memory issue but not sure.

15. PCTECHTRONICS

PCTECHTRONICS Banned

GPU:
    XFX 7970 H20
    Try putting a box fan up to the side and bring those temps down a little. Also what are u using for a power supply. that could also be the reason unstable rails.

16. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Won't be a memory issue. You don't see those sort of artifacts with GDDR5 as the error correction prevents it.

It's more than likely that the GPU itself has gone south, either way it's RMA time.

17. DeeZaster

DeeZaster Member

GPU:
    Giga$h!']['E 660ti OC 2gb
    Agreed, I've had the exact same issue before as this but mine was the gpu overheating. If its a heat issue then the problem you've shown will usually happen gradually while you start to play and get worse as the temp does start to rise (could be 30 seconds, could be minutes). My card did fail after awhile, while playing COD5. I had to RMA my 8800 GTS and so I picked up a 9400 GT 512mb and couldn't reallly game for awhile. Upon return of the card, I recieved a new revision and no problems with it since then. So my suggestion is get it fixed asap, borrow a card if you can.

18. Rhenna

Rhenna New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870 1Gb
    Just out of curiosity, who is the manufacturer?

If this had started pretty much right out of the gate, I'd say there is a *chance* that the heatsink assembly or thermal compound hadn't been installed/applied properly. But, if it has been OK for 10 months or so, that doesn't seem too likely. You *don't* want to void any warranty you may have by removing the HSF at this point, if there is a chance you can have the card replaced.

87°C. doesn't seem too out of line for a stock 470 to me, but are you certain that the card's fan is turning freely, and that there isn't any dust/debris clogging the heatsink? Just a thought...