1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    I have my 4870x2 inside a antec 900 with fans on low and the gpu on auto cooling, my load temps seem to hover around 88 degrees with auto cooling running the fan at 40%. In other words I still have plenty of headroom to play with based on the fan speed to keep the temps safe, to see the 480 having to use 80% fan speed to keep within tolerance seems a bit excessive to me.

Please don't get me wrong as I am very much in the market for a new gpu however I will certainly wait awhile and listen to user experience....I really thought I would go down the fermi route this time but presently I am not so sure.

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It would be difficult to convince me to buy these cards without overclocked temperatures and fan speed numbers.

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    we need to know fan speed or this is useless m8.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapp. RX Vega 64 LC

5. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    They are mad!

Imagine a Thuban with a monster cooler, and three GTX 480, all of them in one miserable case! That's crazy. Engineers need to solve the temps issue sooner than later, please.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Fan speed is irrelevant unless all the fans are identical, and 40% for example is the same RPM on all cards, but we all know that probably isn't the case.

If had to make it fair then you would run them all on 100% and see what the load temps were since that is the max cooling the card can do.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    AMD has given no indication? Do you even try to keep up? Here's a little hint as to the indication they've given...check out the link... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195081

That is AMD/ATI's version of Tesla....

8. Lain

Lain Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    I'm wondering why Nvidia's top offer isn't paired with the top offer of ATI. After all, the 5870 chip was designed from the beginning to be paired with one of it's brothers to form the 5970. For Nvidia this is not possible, I don't see a cooler taking on two 480 (or 470 for the matter) mounted on the same bord.

That said, the 480 can be run in SLI, where the 5970 is already an Crossfire card. Adding an extra 480 adds more bonus fps (like you need them :p) than adding an extra 5970 (or 5870 to a 5970?).

I'd like a benchmark of those configurations. :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    can i use riva for overclocking with a 480?
    you thik just device id and VEN string? or no?

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Not yet nope ... grab AfterBurner

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    alright then
    thanks boss

12. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Maybe by time its released riva will work :S

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well i should have been more specfic, i need riva tweeks more so then just to oc.
    ab is ok but its no r/t,he must have been busy getting ab and that evga tool going

i want an xp driver for this card too,i hope they dont make me use vista/w7

14. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    my quick and cool conclusion...

~ Hilbert as always, great reviews on no matter what you review...
    ~ Nvidia...Ur product is late....6 months...and lets be real were talking about in frys or something..

~ its only 10-15% quicker...in what games? the games i dont play at all...Modern warfare2 requires one good modern card to run....COD 5 no one is playing...and 100fps or 70fps...i want V-SYNC 60 locked, and alot of these other games are crap anyways. Console ports can suck my ~!

for 100 more dollars, the wait...umm, even if i didnt have 3 5870;s i would wait to see what ATI brings out with...I feel there going to be the company to look up to here in the future providing things dont slip..

i guess if u had a tired 7 series in SLI or 8 series...same in compasion with ATI.. 3-or 4 series, then it might make sum sense...but with heat..money..the late nature of the card...ect..makes this card look like a Neutral winner among other things...

ATI is around the corner..and they are ahead.

The LAST BEST card i every owned from Nvidia...WAS a 6 series AGP card...

300 bucks at release and guess what...IT PLAYED EVERYTHING not ultra high res or anything but at least most in game **** could be maxed......even Doom3 at excellent settings...

heh Nvidia gave u all 512 mega more ram with a hotter GPU thats marginaly faster than the competion and late to the market! with CPU capablities that no one gives a **** about, well atleast the real die hard gamming crowd and the best they can do with a late card was JEW everyone again with what should of been 2 GB ram not 1.5 of gaynees for the 6 month added wait as well....i bet the extra 100 bucks is in the additonal cost of memory 512megs more memory onboard than the competition and being so late after a everyone put out a 1gb card (even nvidia) there probably profiting of it anyways..lol make that card a 1gb like a 5870, and i bet that margin of 10% would slip... and the price..

Drivers still immature so speed will come as always in small increments with driver realease...ohhh ya and u have to wait 6 months for ur cards to speed up like they should have been from the get go...but i guess ATI and Nvidia are guilty for that.

5/10 GTX 480

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  15. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Each to their own Jcazz, for me Nvidia offer the better value for money.

It might cost more, but i get more features that i want like GPU physics, proper 3D and widespread Cuda acceleration.

ATI at the moment just offer me the ability to play 360 games at a higher resolution and framerate, so not worth me parting with the £300 for one, it would be a waste of money, i would be better off getting a second GTX260 since no one seems to like DX11 anyway.

If i want a DX11 card, then i would rather pay the extra £100 or so for the extra features, plus i want 120fps Vsync locked in the near future :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010

16. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    Valid point my man....

might be were ur at with your current computer all in all, but i play games..i am a hardcore gammer that loves Games and nothing more....My Core i7 can do everything i need it to do within windows...

Now i dont do any GPU acclerated anything, i know its faster...but that energy bill has to creep up as well..

Physix is nice but, not sure, and wasnt Physics a Agiea deal at first ment for ATI and Nvidia?

but besides that u hold a valid point as well....g2g work! cya

17. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yep, just depends what your needs are, my PC is split 50/50 between gaming and HTPC needs, plus i love new gadgets and tech, even if others find them gimmicky.

It depends what your accelerating, if i upscale a DVD with the CPU, it fluctuates between 60-90% CPU usage, turn on Cuda accelleration and CPU usage drops down to 5%, but GPU usage still remains at around 8%, and GPU temps remain the same.
    Video encoding is many times quicker over the GPU, so power bills could actually be less.

Well enjoy work, if you can, i have 8hours till i start :)

18. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Am i missing something, or are posts being deleted?

19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^
    lol
    looks like you talked useless crap again.

20. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I have no knowledge of me ever talking useless crap, unless it was the opinion of useless posters :wanker:

No one else get this then?