1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX570 oc'd
    i've been googled it for quite a while but couldnt find any.. :(

2. gloves085

gloves085 Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 2080 ti
    Dual monitor Downclocking issue! Partial Solution!

--- DISCLAIMER

OK guys, I know I don't have a nice custom avatar and of all the time I've been lurking on this forum I've only made 30 odd posts, which means of course many of you 'oober 1337' forumites may well ignore me. I'm 40 years old and have been a a geek since the CBM Pet, I LOVE my Tech, I just can't be bothered to have a full on argument because someone doesn't like my advice or opinion. I can only imagine how Hilbert must be feeling after all the spiteful accusations that have been coming his way, but I imagine he developed a very thick skin a long time ago running these forums.

---WHINGE

I have to say that never in all my time on the web have I seen so much vitriol and hate going around over the release of a product! What the hell is going on guys? If you don't like it (or as is often the case looking at 'some' of the haters system specs) can't afford it, don't buy it. I don't care, I've ordered 2 x Zotac GTX 480s and will dump them as soon as Evga get some of their sweet cards over here. /end rant

--- SUGGESTED SOLUTION

Anyway, sorry about that, but I had to get it off my chest. apologies also if someone else has suggested this, but I may have missed a couple posts in the 20 pages I just read through. The Dual monitor 'feature' can be a pain and may well prove to be a problem with the 480s from what we have seen about their power consumption, many of us 280 users (another hot and hungry nvidia card) have known this for a long time. Those of us who actually read the full documentation for evga Precision, know that you can preset an overclock (or underclock) based on 2d or 3d profiles. This has always reduced the problem for me. I am currently using 3 monitors on my 280 with the GPU3 (the one with 2 monitors) running at 494MHz, 94MHz above the idling card. Not a perfect solution admittedly, but one that suits me fine.

I am aware that according to Hilberts review the Shader and core are inextricably linked (this shouldn't be an issue I think) but the inability to downclock the memory could scupper this technique. Of course there is a strong likelyhood that future versions of Precision (or Afterburner perhaps) will fix this.

Failing that of course you can always create custom profiles and just hotkey them when needed.

--- I was gonna post here why I decided to go for the 480s, but that would start someone else with the hate I am sure ---

3. Nictron

Nictron Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Titan X
    You choose what you choose and who cares what the rest around you think.

Nice review Hilbert, read it at 3am in the morning :)

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    The hate seems to be aimed at the fact that this tech has been delayed for the best part of 6 months, it was meant to be here when we were installing Windows 7 back in October. So because it was new and because it was delayed and because ATi stole the show in the mean time their seems to be a sense that these cards, that this tech would be another 8series. That we would some how end up with monster performing cards at stupidly low prices.

The reality though is that not only had ATi set a rather tough benchmark during the delay of Fermi's release the world itself has changed. The chances that these 4xx cards were going to blow everything away and do it at a cheaper price than it's rival wasn't so much expected it was almost like the enthusiasts felt Nvidia owed it to them.

I never expected that the 4xx series would turn up with something as truly epic as my muchly loved 320Mb 8800GTS. Something cheap whilst powerful what I was hoping for was that it would be priced in a way that would force either ATI or the older Nvidia 2xx GPU prices to be reduced. It seems that that may not happen.

5. Nictron

Nictron Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Titan X
    Before the card was released I made the following comment in another thread.

Looks like I was dead on the money regarding the backlash. :)

6. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Well since about 2001 and the demise of Voodoo i have been an Nvidia fan and not bought any other card for the past 5 or 6 cards.
    But i hate to say, i have just bought an ATI 5870, and the reasons being...

* Same/similar performance to the 480, for £130 less.
    * The 480/470 both have heat issues that 'could' reduce their life or cause troubles, and I doubt new drivers will reduce the heat that much.
    * The 480/470 both have documented troubles with people running 2 monitors (like i do).
    * The 480/470 seem like great cards but are way over priced.
    * If in 4 or 5 months time they prove themselves then I will sell my ATI on eBay as they still bring good prices so I shouldn't lose much at all. They (the 470/480) may also come down in price and have better after market coolers.
    * ATI is owned by AMD, so hopefully the driver issues of the past will be a thing of the past.

It is ordered on a next day for tomorrow.

I think that nVidia haven't been as loyal to us, as we have to them. The issues this card is reporting, the reduced spec, and the way we in the UK have been ripped off (again) is the last straw.
    I have held off buying a replacement for my 8800gts since before Christmas on the strength of these new cards, but now believe the wait not worth while.
    I also believe that other nVidia fans (like me) feel the same way too.

Hope i have made the right switch...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  7. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    You DID, my 4800 series cards truly shine with latest drivers, that is very good and a good thing to say about a company.

ATI accepted and changed back their mentality about doing GPU's back when they designed the 2900 and then the 4800 series, they switched back to scalable-yet-pretty-simple architecture and they managed to do EXTRAORDINARY good because of this, there is no denying fact that they managed to launch cards eariler for a simply reason.

They are easy to made !

NVIDIA on the other hand, feels to me like an egomaniacal soberbial father, who thinks is the father of all 3D and they always know what they are doing, they never admit a wrong and they continuosly go on with what they want regardless of outcome.

DID they didn't knew after GT200 and 4800 that the route to single-efficient and simple GPU design yet-scalable is preferable to big mamoth designs?

NO, they never admit a wrong.

Now they have a super mega mamoth GPU that they don't know who to make it peaceful, he kept on sucking power like there is no tomorrow.

I really hate to agree with charlie on this, in his last article he explained why and I tend to agree with him.

8. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    If ATI could make it possible to run the 5xxx cards at 120Hz I'd get one right away. As it doesn't seem to work properly I honestly have no idea what to do. I don't want to get an older generation card just to be able to run at 120Hz or without frying the rest of my computer. :(

9. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    Don't worry, that is going to be sorted out pretty soon, I am sure of that.

10. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    I wanted a 480 I really did until I read about the heat think ill just stick in heat piped 5870 for gfx along with piped 250gts for pissX and call it a day

11. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    Wish I knew for sure... It's been an issue for so long that I'm hesitant to get a Radeon as this doesn't seem to get fixed.

12. sk8zophrenia

GPU:
    why not?

[​IMG]

just for laugh, gags :p

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    that's a good one schizo! very funny! we need some humour in this nvidia debacle.

but now doubt now you'll be called a fanboy or something or get shouted at..:)

14. N.O.U.G.N.

N.O.U.G.N. Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080 8Gb
    These disabled SM-Cores are BullSh!t! :chainsaw2: Its all on the same god-damning Chip!!!! that is like putting food on your plate and saying: Because your going to throw away the rest you don't have to pay for it even though we when though all the time to make it anyway! and it could be feeding some graphically starved person in a poor country!

15. sk8zophrenia

GPU:
    nah.. i've used both and at the moment im satisfied with nvidia. but the pic is just too funny not to be posted here. :p

16. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    Wel could ask AMD directly about this.

17. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    you guys think its a good idea to replace my gtx 295 with gtx 470 sli?
    i have nvidia 3d vision kit or else i would have purchased ati 5890
    my monitor is 22 inch 120hz samsung 3d resolution is max 1650 x 1080 but need higher end card for the 3d vision which brings down the fps by 50%
    or should i dump the nividia 3d vision and look for the new eyefinity 6 ati 5870 which has 2gb memory

18. AUTOgod

AUTOgod Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 DirectCU
    theres no sense in upgrading right now. a 5870 isnt much faster than a 295, and 2 470's will cost a huge amount now, and a lot more in the long run.

also, unless you have 3 pci-e slots, you will need to remove your dedicated physx card, so you may lose out.

on the topic of the 470/480:
    im still using an 8800GTS 512, and i seem to be able to play just cause 2, and metro 2033 at perfectly playable levels, with just cause maxed noAA, and with metro at high noAA. so im happy.
    just cause seems to have an issue, but thats for another thread :)
    so the 470/480 do not justify their cost and simply ludicrous power consumption. the only cards i am currently contemplating are the 5850 and the 5870.

19. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Going by all the reviews that I see on the web I have to say that I am disappointed, for sure I was not expecting massive gains over ATI however with the time that Nvida has had to work on this I was expecting more. I am sure in time with driver support performance will improve and I seriously hope they work on the heat issue as the idle temps are insane and will just kill any decent overclocking attempts.

The biggest issue for me is the price, I fortunately have the money to SLI a pair however I don't like being ripped off and I may as well just go out at buy a 5970 if prices don't become realistic in due course. I think for the time being I will hold onto my 4870x2 which is still working well and spend my money on ssd's which will give me better £ per performance gain then a new gpu.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Since you have a 4870x2, then maybe you can confirm or deny the below.
    [​IMG]