GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    On my machine with a 5850 in CF and dual monitor things may be a bit different, but it idles at 400/1000 on one card and the other card idles at 157/300 (according to GPU-Z 0.4.0).

2. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Another fail, you can't compare 2 different fan percentages apples to apples without knowing the RPMs.

3. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    That's right because the primary card is what needs to do the syncing, the second card is not needed for that, it will only translate calculations, no need to sustain a full frame buffer image with the DAC, at least that's in theory.

4. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295

Although you're partially right, man, you really have a will to just oppose people just make yourself right all the time..

Alright have it your way, have another say to you that there are some things that are pretty much obvious, the FAN of my 295 at 50% is mostly audible and becomes almost unbearable, just like the FAN of my 4870x2, and the FAN of my 4870, and the FAN of my 8800GT custom and the FAN of my 285.

Really, at 70% I don't care what card you have, any manufacturer in their right mind will not get a FAN spinning at a minimum at 70% because it will leave them with very little space to calculate for increases with heat, if you ever modified a video card BIOS you will know that from 60% on, almost every card's BIOSes tend to put the FAN on the noisy side.

5. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    I what..? Haha I have nothing more to say to you if you start talking that kinda crap. :wanker:

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Stop saying fail, it's getting super annoying.

And no, you can't directly compare two different fan percentages for two different fan designs but given what we can see, I think it is safe to assume that even 60% for the 480's fan is going to be significantly more audible than 30% for the 5870s.

I mean, to not acknowledge that is to just be in denial.

But you have a point about how much louder.

7. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    If the biggest issue here is how I type, all these trolls and spammers here, I can very well stop posting here.

Card with 66W higher TDP obviously needs a bit more cooling even when idle, but without seeing rpm and real dbA measurements its simply put wrong to assume the Fermi is much more louder than HD 5870 in idle.

8. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    I can safely assume without even having a GTX480 just for the LOOKS and feels of the FAN/Heatsink combo on the 480 AND what people is saying, that a 5870 idling at 66 degrees with FAN at 27% should be CONSIDERABLY more silent (or not noisier at all) than a GTX480 running at 68 degrees with the FAN at 68%

Really, is all about common sense at this point.

Also, don't take into consideration that if the FAN has to be running at 68% all the time in a multi-monitor enviroment, the life expectancy cannot be equal to the FAN of the 5870 running at 30%, I don't care RPM's at this exagerated difference, really.

68% of maximum potential is not 27% of maximum potential, whatever form you view this, it's detrimental to a card having the FAN running at 68% of it's full potential all the time, do you not see this?

9. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    So basically the 5870 needs 27% of its cooling capacity to keep the card at ~60 degrees in idle with two monitors, while the 480 needs 70%.

That seems to indicate that either the 5870 cooler is vastly overdimensioned or the 480 cooler is underdimensioned/ineffective.

Or that the 5870 is better at keeping the temperature down by running cooler compared to its maximum operating temperature and thus needing less of its available cooling power to keep it at 60 degrees.

This, I think, is what Alex was saying.

10. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Every older gen NVIDIA card fans have worked on more than double the percentage of ATi fans. Working just fine.

11. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    Exactly what I was saying!

Common sense ussually helps when you get to involved in the scientific procedure, after all, this is pretty obvious.

12. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295

Because you have a RMA Depot and know all the figures so you know that for sure.

My GTX295 works at 40% fan idle and is noisier than the 4870x2 at 29%, seems the '%' here can be meassure, because when I put the 4870x2 at 40% the FAN is slightly noiser than 295, but comparable, if I put both on 70%, both are almost unbearable, even when the 480 FAN is still quieter (which I doubt) at 70% is reaching is "HIGH" scale.

idle at 40% is not idle at 70%, you can even do the math.

13. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    I have seen equal amounts of fan related RMA's from ATI, I have sent a few into RMA because of fan failing. And seen how cards like 8800GTX which btw ran often 100% fanspeed under load are still kicking on great, and not even very noisy.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  14. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    I've seen equally of NVIDIA's, so we can agree on that, FAN is important and should not be stressed all the time, because if it fails, you have a non-working card.

So, how does that leaves the GTX480 when running with 2 monitors? :)

15. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Possibly.

The 4870 2D clocks default to 500MHz on core and 900MHz on memory, which is higher on the core than the 5k series with 2 monitors and the same memory clock as is used in 3D.

I would imagine we're not noticing anything different on our 4870s because they're already idling higher, by default anyway, than the 5k series does with 2 monitors attached.

AMD did significantly improve upon PowerPlay with 5k after all, one of the big letdowns with the 4k series is the high idle power consumption. Well, high power consumption in general but I suppose most are more forgiving about load values.

16. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    Yes my point was that evidently, AMD must be using some kind of ultra-low-power 2D on the 5800 series and when 2 monitors are attached, it simply goes for normal 2D clocks (similar to the 4800 series) except for the memory.

17. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Bringing the 4k series and the GTX 2xx series into things is just making both your discussions twice as complicated.

You're already trying to compare dissimilar fan designs...Do you really need to add two more dissimilar fan designs into the mix?

18. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Some sort of variation of ULPS probably.

19. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Meh, it's all speculation anyway. :)

Regardless the evidence seem to point at both camps using similar methods of working around dual-screen issues.

I just hope NVIDIA can improve a bit on the situation with drivers as their architecture is more sensitive to heat and power issues. After all I bet a lot of us use two screens, if not actual monitors than at least a TV or such attached.

20. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    As much as I understand all these fan speed issues... Cut nVidia some slack x_x
    The cards aren't even in the mass availability stage yet...Drivers will improve, take a chill pill people...