GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    >_> ??

that doesnt sound good

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    +1

If you didn't agree to write a favourable review, agree to show the benchmarks they tell you you have to show (obviously the ones that favour their cards by showing the biggest gains etc...), then they wouldn't send you any cards to review, i bet the ***** even made them send copies of the reviews to them beforehand, so they could read them to make sure they were correct, before allowing them to publish. :)

Can easily spot the ones who didn't agree, Techspot, HardOCP etc...., bet they had to get their cards by other means, as no way were they Nvidia agreed reviews :p

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  3. Chris0101

Chris0101 Member

GPU:
    ATI 4890
    Is the advantage that much in GeForce 470's side?

It seems unlikely that the 470 will be for $350, just as the 5850 was not $300. Throw in the extra heat and it seems not like much of a win at all.

Best to wait for now. I really don't see the compelling reason to upgrade, especially if you already have a 4870 or a 4890 with so few DX11 games. I think that I will wait for next year.

4. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I do think the current revision Fermi is somewhat a failure and this is after 6 months of delays trying to bring the thing up to scratch to beat the competition and still only managing just about at stock clocks. One can only imagine how awful these looked back in revision 1 or 2.

Biggest downside is they have no overclocking headroom worth talking about. Bog standard retail Non cherry picked 5870's are pretty much guaranteed overclockers right into 950-1000mhz which just pisses all over the Fermi chips who manage a measly 800mhz without water cooling and extensive voltage modifications to the board.

ATI can easily release a cherry picked high end 5890 or something with 2GB of memory and cores at 1.2ghz and their laughing.

I do however think Nvidia has a great starting chip to build up on, the performance per clock is very good but just too hot and hungry. Now when they downsize the chips in new revisions next year they will most probably be the cards to get. Just not now, another year or two and it will pay off for Nv.

5. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    +1 :)

6. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    wow so now this thread has turned into calling HH a liar and he got paid off, just wow.

7. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Hmm maybe the old numbers were replaced by the new or indeed just old numbers were used without rebenching with 10.3's.

Need answers... or :behead: ;)

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I guess Nvidia didn't like Anands review, as FF is now reporting it as an attack site :D

9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Ok soo GTX 480 is 15% faster on average but requires about 40% more power and costs 40-50% more where i live.

Thx.

10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT

11. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    We have a nvidia fanboy in news page... nice poll the same than the last Fermi vs ATI 5000's series, first 78% ati... after some days.. 60% fermi, all the news are "xxxx launched GTX 480" ok? whats going on? I never see ATI spamming the web page too fast omg

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Have to say, im not entirely happy with the tone of the posts from some of the ATI guys, i remember back in the day that ATI was for the proper enthusiasts, and Nvidia was for the people who didn't know any better.

Nowadays, the cheap prices have brought in a userbase that has limited knowledge and come out with the sort of childish nonsense you'd expect to see on console forums, this is not aimed at everyone of course, but i can't be the only person to have noticed this trend.

13. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    There are a lot of posts, because we have another person posting news, and before no one ever posted card releases.

When an ATi card comes out, I'm sure the same thing will happen.

Honestly I'm pretty disappointed with a fair few people with all the whining going on.

If the ATi cards suit you, good, if Nvidia works for you, great. Either way, the more competition and the more options there is, the better for us.

14. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Yeah it's rather redicilous. Trying make out HH review was only allowed because it painted nvidia in a favourable light.

15. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    Wow Finch,you made it out from yesterdays server meltdown intact? lol

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    €505 is the cheapest I could find in Belgium, nice price tbh, guess I'll pick up a 480 :D

17. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I would have to agree mate, it seems asif a new bit of tech comes out and everything goes tits up, threads turn to trash, there isnt a good discussion thread about the 470/480 anywhere on here, there full of stupid comments.

18. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Barely.

It was a very interesting morning.
    Last I saw the servers were pushing....what was it HH? 38-40Mb/sec
    And that was just the Main site, not sure on forums etc.

Probably would of been more earlier if the servers were online, I wasn't sure when they started to go spastic but it was early Saturday morning for me.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Quite frankly, the GTX470/480 don't impress me a bit. Given the delays and the pricing, I expected a lot better performance.

It always amazes me how nVidia fanboys can post whatever about ATI cards, and that appears to be acceptable. Yet, if an ATI fanboy posts anything about nVidia cards, they're attacked from every direction.

Do ATI/nVidia news posts really need to turn into flamewars? It gets a little old for those of us mature enough to get beyond brand names...

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yep, some people have to pick a side and aren't happy unless they are constantly bashing the opposition.
    I don't honestly remember it being this bad when the 5870 was released last year.

From memory it was mostly arguing about was it best single card or single GPU, and most of that was instigated by LedHed anyway, but there certainly wasn't this much trash talking or claims of bribery.

Its nothing to do with any fanboy attacking another one, that has always went on, its the fact that some of the ATI guys have started attacking the site, because its not something they believe, or another site has told them different.
    I certainly don't remember any Nvidia fanboys claiming anyone was in ATI's pocket last year, but please correct me if im wrong.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010