GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    You play with Headphones? i mean are you serious? i do it only when im in a contest when 200 gamers are here, in my home i don't want touch any Headphones for gaming..

Hé m8, sound is not a problem, you can play with an headphone !!!!!

I remember how we all was complain about the sound of the fans on 1950, 2900 etc but now it look like for the 480 it's acceptable... cause you can use an Headphone, please..

Personnally i don't care about the fan's sound cause the first thing i do after have buy a card, is to put a waterblock on it

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. TurboGuard

TurboGuard Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 285
    I think the smart idea here would be to wait for the cooler, quieter revisions that will also probably have all 512 cores enabled...

3. bloodindark

bloodindark Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 TI
    totaly dissapointed by the price ,i was thinking of getting gtx 470 over the ati 5850.i never had an ati card but this is the time to start buying.5850 is the way to go!bye bye nvidia!

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nah, rarely use Headphones, usually only if its late at night, i've spent thousand on a HT setup, wouldn't waste that with 2channel sound.

Not everyone is saying its acceptable, i certainly would think twice if its gets as loud as that Furmark test during normal gaming, but Furmark is far too stressful, i have no problems with games, but i can only last 45seconds on Furmark before this PC just shuts off.

Since i need a CPU/PSU upgrade first, will wait to see what other cooling solutions arrive over the next month or so.

5. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    I play with open-backed headphones so I'd be able to hear it for sure.

I love headphones...

6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Sorry to burst your bubble guys , but the sound of GTX 480 is UNBEARABLE even with headphones on. its FX5800 allover again. (just watched the video from hardocp).

7. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Funny how HH didn't seem to notice it though.

Those fans sound like they are manually set to 100% at one point, it doesn't sound gradual at all, which makes me suspicious.

8. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Glad to see my 200Euro's on the 5850 was money well spent. The only real advantage the 470 has is better tesselation as far as I can see.

Still, it's good to see that the GPU "wars" finally flame up again! I hope ATI didn't got lazy :p Let the prices lower!

9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    It sounded like my radeon on 100% which my human ears cant hanle.

And my radeon is max 35%...

10. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    other than the subjective perception of noise and differences in hearing abilities and test configuration there can be a significant difference in fan noise depending on the voltage it's getting and a fine line between "acceptable" and "whiney" speeds. I have software control over the voltages on my PSU ±3% (11.64V-12.36V on the 12V measured at the PSU) and currently using a Sapphire 4970 1gb and the fan at 100% is either "just another fan" or "screaming on my nerves" depending on where I set the 12V.

Hilberts using that Topower 1200 group regulated thing so could just be voltage drop differences.

11. Shocky-XL

Shocky-XL Member

GPU:
    POV GTX280
    So how did guru3d get such low audios number at load compared to other reviews? 43bD compared to 64Db and 70dB, also after hearing the [H] video I know which one I believe.

Redo the sound tests guru as your results are BS.

12. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Nice review, but pretty dissapointing. Updated drivers will probably help with some games, but more waiting? By the time new drivers come out ATI will have something else out.

Either way, no upgrades for me yet - at least not GPU. Next upgrade for me will be CPU, RAM, Motherboard and SSD :D - my 285's will keep me going until something DX11 comes out that I must have.

13. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Guru3d GTX 480 at load sound test

guru3d gtx 480 at idle sound test

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We'll be posting some videos of the GTX 480 in both IDLE and LOAD noise levels and will explain you how we measure.

Now -- If you after the video still call BS like we pull numbers out of our ass then you are full of ****. If you tend to believe us after this videos ... I do expect your sincere apology.

Youtube is still converting, I'm posting a news item on this after they (the videos) kick into full HD mode.

15. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    Imo if u have a 5800 series and you're having probs or you just prefer nvidia,get a GTX480/470.
    If your 5800 series is running great then overclocking the hell out of it a breathe easy.

16. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Just had a look at them, looks and sounds much more realistic, and also using Furmark.

Will rewatch the HD ones, once they done since the lower quality ones made it harder to make out ths db readings.

I think some reviewers are sticking a mic an inch away from the cards to get that sort of level.

17. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    my point exactly,how many people are gonna play game with a open case and no sound(speakers or headset)

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  19. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    That does sound a lot better. Weird though that many sites report the noise levels as unbearable. Not talking about DB levels but using the good old mark 1 ear.

Question: what kind of temperatures were you hitting while testing the cards in games? If those differ from the furmark stress tests they're more relevant for the average user. Also what rpm-percentage was the fan running at during games?

Would appreciate any help in answering those questions as the temperature/noise is my main concern with the cards. If they do hit well over 90 in games with 21C ambient they'll be dangerously close to the 105C limit during summer in my 30C flat.

20. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970