GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I just wanted ATI to drop prices on HD5870/50. Argh, i cant hide i'm bit pissed on nvidia now.

2. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  3. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  4. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor RX6600XT
    Maybe ill buy 1 from germany in may....Maybe...

5. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    for eve u dont need it :p
    my 8800gt on sec comp handle it perfectly :D

6. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor RX6600XT
    There are many things i dont need....
    Its just nice to get something new to my nidhoggur bridge =)

7. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Surely it depends what the room temperature is? The Guru3D temperature test is done at 21C ambient, so unless other sites tested at the same temperature it's impossible to compare numbers.

Whichever way you look at it though it's a noisy card.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well, maybe someone can ask him then?

That video does show it is quite loud, fine up until around 90c then gets quite scary, very quickly, but that definetly sounds like it hits 100% fanspeed, so many other places are saying less than 70% is fine for temps over 90c.

It is Furmark though, and we don't know how much better the GTX480 was performing when it was that loud, especially since im sure ATI cards throttle down more using Furmark.

9. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    y, i know that by myself, i do not need ssd, but i bough it :) (witch is really cool device, fasten system and some games is handy -i.e. eve loading in 3-4secs)

btw in my poor country i see that all preorders for 480 are canceled(inf from distributors)...it is really fail card IMO

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    My 9800 GTX+ is basically silent compared to 480. :gape:

11. Wanny

Wanny Guest

You get used to noise anyway... I spin the fans of my 260s a lot and it's noisy. Put sound, just live with it and enjoy the gaming ride.

However, I'm glad I bought a 2nd GTX 260 before they were sold out. I still have absolutely no reason to buy a fermi or ATI (which will never happen) for now. Maybe when Crysis 2 will come out, we will all cry out for new cards.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
  12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I read couple local reviews , and they say that GTX 480 is SUPER LOUD on full load , and they even compare it to FX 5800!!

13. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
  14. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor RX6600XT
    My GTX260 is quite silent after taking dust of.... idle 40% and games/folding 50-60% fan spin. Clearing dust of redused noice and temsp alot..

folding now..
    Temp 71c
    fan 53% 1900rpm

before cleaning it was over 80c and fan was near 60% and alot louder.

15. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Year, it depends on the benchmark and game.
    For me, I look at a couple of things in determining what is amazing quality.

in DirT2, the ATI and Nvidia cards run exactly the same. But that one is bias, as Dirt2 was optimized for ATI. Still amazing that the Nvidia cards are exactly the same performance.

Bad Company 2, however....
    The 480 only beats the 5870 by a FPS or 2 while, until we hit EXTREME resolution, the 470 beats the 5850 by over 9 FPS...then 6...then 5.

Crysis Warhead is the only game where the 480 dominates the 5870. However...Nvidia has always had the advantage in Crysis. The 470 also dominates the 5850 except in extreme resolution.

I don't really count Just Cause 2 as it was specifically tailored solely for Nvidia, right down to CUDA only features.

In Resident Evil 5 benchmark, the 480 beats the 5870 in some aspects while trying in others. The 470 consistently beats the 5850 except at the highest resolution.

Metro 2033, the two Nvidia cards both violate the ATI cards.
    Unfortunately, the Nvidia cards just don't measure up in Vantage. However, we need an updated DX11 vantage.

And when it comes to heat. No card should EVER hit 90C. EVER. That's just asking for a card with a short lifespan. At most, I've seen Radeons hit the 60C and ...if overclocked to holy hell, 70C threshold. But 90C? Hell no.

So, I may be slightly off with my assessment...
    But based on the raw performance versus the heat consumption, price, and slightly noisy fan....

In terms of performance and value, the 5870 is still the king with the 480 being a huge disappointment to me. However, in terms of performance vs value...I would still side with the 470 over the 5850...and I own a 5850.

I just hope Nvidia can figure out something with the heat. The big issue me and many posters have here is that Nvidia took so damned long to get Fermi out the gate...just to see that Fermi SLIGHTLY keeps up with the Radeon.

16. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    are you f*cking ****ing me!? that is LOUD..

17. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That's just not true in a general sense.

Sensitivity to noise is highly individual and since people like to throw around very subjective definitions of noise on top of that any comparison is pretty much meaningless.

People who're sensitive to noise do not, as a general rule, get used to it.

As an example I've spent more money on fans and third party cooling than any other individual component in my rig and I'm still quite unhappy with the sound level because I can still hear it.

Granted, not a lot of people are that sensitive, or picky if you prefer, but claiming that people get used to it is entirely false.

18. Jonp382

Jonp382 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    Hilbert likely just got a good card.

I think even the 5850 would bug me. Can't say I envy those buying a 480. LOL

19. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    What temps do the cards hit while gaming. They go to 95ish while stressing in furmark but do they hit the same temps in regular games? The noise seems bearable until they hit about 85-90C and then it skyrockets.

20. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I don't care what y'all say, i'm buying one,remember when we used to have a common enjoyment of PC hardware, yeah those were the days....

Do we need to have everyone that has an AMD/ATI stand on one side of this line: l and everyone with an intel or nvidia on the other?

I think this GPU is worse than Nvidia has led us to believe, but much better than the negative rumours have led us to believe, 250 is only 14watt more than my gtx280.

The stock clock of the 480 is 700/1400/1850, and every review i've seen have been able to achieve at least 800 on the clock, at least 1600 on the shaders and over 200 on the memory clock, so not only does it perform amazing at launch, but it is an insane overclocker, and it has many more drivers to go, if in 6 months time the GPU sucks balls and your 5870 is kicking even more ass I expect a PM laughing at me, , but you 5870 people have been enjoying better performance than me for many months, so isn't that enough, or does it have to remain supreme for all time?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010