Geforce GTX 460 stutter

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by sarit3D, Dec 26, 2010.

1. sarit3D

sarit3D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Hi guys,

I am playing GTA IV.. or that's what I want to do. I had a Geforce 9800 GT 512MB. But the game didn't run well although that card meets the recommended requirements AFAIK. I can best describe the gameplay as stuttering or jumpy. Anyway, time for an upgrade to a Geforce 460 GTX. That should be more than enough I guessed.

Now after the upgrade, the FPS improved a little. If Niko Bellic is inside, I get 40 FPS. As soon as I go outside, FPS drops to a mere 12. So I though it was the GTA IV itself. I contacted Rockstar a couple of days ago but still waiting for their reply. In the meantime, I'm playing Civilization IV Colonization. That game is way old, but what do I see? It also stutters! It's especially noticeable during the intro video.

I tried:
    • installing latest nvidia drivers (version 260.99)
    • improving the performance in the nvidia control panel
    • experimenting with vertical sync in nvidia control panel
    • experimenting with -novblank parameter for GTA IV
    • disabling onboard audio in device manager
    • disabling onboard audio in the BIOS
    • installing latest directX 9.0c
    • Civilization runs fine on my five year old laptop
    • looking on the internet and getting frustrated seeing people get GTA IV working on a Geforce 9800 GT (my old card that is).

During my attempt to find what causes this, I recorded the intro movie of Civilization. The intro movies stutters along on the monitor, it looks more like a slideshow. If I play the recorded avi file, it's not stuttering!

I guess the raw performance of the graphics is not the problem.
    Does anyone have a similar configuration? Or having the same issue?
    What more should I check?

My current nvidia settings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some fragments of the dxdiag output
    Code:
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 12/26/2010, 01:34:38
       Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
           System Model: System Product Name
                   BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
              Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+,  MMX,  3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
                 Memory: 2046MB RAM
              Page File: 446MB used, 3492MB available
            Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
        DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
            Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
         Manufacturer: NVIDIA
            Chip type: GeForce GTX 460
             DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
           Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E22&SUBSYS_34FC1458&REV_A1
       Display Memory: 1024.0 MB
         Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
              Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
      Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
          Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
       Driver Version: 6.14.0012.6099 (English)
          DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
     Driver Date/Size: 10/22/2010 06:23:22, 6359552 bytes

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    Whoa you have your settings messed up! Pre rendered frames should be 3 that could be a problem at 8. Try setting back to default in Nvidia Control panel. And use AF it has no real performance loss but improves quality. Like I said just set back to default and run your games with issues. Good Luck!

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Hi!

First, I'd recommend you to use application spesific settings (program settings) rather than global settings and try to run the game with it's own profile using default values first.

Also, always keep antialiasing (all settings) either application controlled or completely disabled and don't set maximum prerendered frames that high, it will cause lag. Actually, try setting it to 0 and check if you can still run the game and if it helps. By my experience, setting prerender to 0 or 1 can resolve stutter issues, but not all games allow it.

Also, make sure to apply all 'GTA IV tweaks', I don't own the game but have heard it can be a pain in the rear to get it running smooth. The GTX 460 in general seems to have some stutter issues, let's hope the upcoming drivers fix at least some of them.

The usual 'disable-all-background-programs' etc. also applies, but this you probably know already.

As a side note, I'd upgrade my computer a bit too if I were you, ie. get a new mobo and a Core i or AMD Phenom CPU and at least 3 Gb memory (I see you're using 32-bit XP, so you can't utilise more memory, unless you switch to a 64-bit OS). To me, it seems your video card in comparison to other components is perhaps a bit 'off-phase', that is to say the setup is not balanced. The video card can handle it's job, but your CPU is struggling to keep up, which will cause performance issues. Just a thought, this.

4. russ1

russ1 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    For GTA4 i would take off all your AA settings, and put your maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 in control panel. Also GTA4 runs better with more cores. I would also try using 265.90 quadro drivers i've seen big boosts in most games with these drivers. But i know a lot of people have been having issues with the 400 series cards especially the 460.

5. sarit3D

sarit3D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Thank you for your quick reply! :) Restoring the nvidia default settings fixed the stuttering in Civilization. Apparently I messed up while attempting to get GTA working. The default settings work fine for Civilization (and GTA 3 San Andreas too btw). I guess it is pointing towards GTA IV after all.

About GTA IV intro: it first displays two text screens, than the two rockstar logos, the game title and than the main menu. So I time lapsed each section of the intro. There's no measureable difference between passing no parameter and passing the -novblank parameter.
    Anyway, here are the times:
    • 0s execute LaunchGTAIV.exe, screen goes black
    • 60s text screens, framerate 60fps
    • 65s Rockstar logos, framerate 60fps
    • 70s game title, framerate 60fps, screen goes black
    • 150s main menu is loaded and frame rate drops to somewhere between 0 and 2 FPS. It's so crappy that I can't even change the selection in the main menu. Let alone play the game... :bang:

6. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1050

What happened to your power management mode setting?That would screw it up.Try cleaning out drivers and reinstalling.

[​IMG]

7. anthonyda

anthonyda Member

GPU:
    470 GTX SOX
    This probably only works on Vista or better :)

8. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1050
    Oh I didnt see your using xp.

9. sarit3D

sarit3D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    I left the global settings to the default now, and am now editing the application specific settings. By default, anti-aliasing is application controlled. For my first test, I've set maximum pre-rendered frames to 0. Left all the rest default. I timed the intro again, with the same result. No influence in the intro so it seems. That settings probably has effect when actually playing the game. Maybe I'll try to find out if I ever get that far :D

For the second test, I reverted to default settings and switched AA completely off (has to be done in the global settings). I timed again...
    • 0s start GTA
    • 20s text stuff displayed (huge improvement!) After that the screen froze displaying the text.
    • 80s logos and game title being displayed, freezes again displaying the game title
    • 260s main menu displayed, fps drops to 0-2fps (that's almost two full minutes longer than before)
    I can't figure out the logic. Disabling AA should require less processing, so it should run faster (or at least equally fast).

About the disable-all-background-programs (I like that expression), I have 24 processes running, most of them are system processes. So that shouldn't impose a problem. It's basically a freshly installed windows with a couple of games on it.

I do realize that the motherboard/cpu is out of date. Upgrading these components would be the next step. But before throwing more money at it, I would like to make sure that it really can't work on the current hardware and that it will definitely work after I upgraded motherboard/cpu/ram. Anyway, I played it at 20-25fps with a Geforce 9800 GT, all settings as low as possible though. But hell, displaying a simple menu doesn't require a quad core. Or does it? ;-)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  10. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1050
    Shut off v-snc.

11. Tatsuya79

Tatsuya79 Member

GPU:
    GTX460@800/2000
  12. sarit3D

sarit3D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    I tried it using the application specific settings in the nvidia control panel.
    [​IMG]
    This is the effect:
    • 0s start GTA
    • 15s text is being displayed, fraps reports a whopping 300+ fps
    • 30s logos and game title is being displayed. I noticed that the size of the logos does not change. They do not "move away" or "become smaller". Weird, but I can live with that.
    • The game title loads immediatly after the logos. After the game title, the screen turns black and fraps reports... a ridiculous 3000+ fps.
    • 100s the main menu appears and frame rate drops to zero

Shutting off v-sync sure does have an effect!
    Unfortunately, it doesn't fix my issue. I am starting to think that somehow the install of the game/windows is corrupted. Maybe I should reinstall the whole bunch to take a fresh start.

13. zeljkoni

zeljkoni Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX660 twin frozr OC
    GTA4 is CPU hog, it even work as crap on c2d system, athlon 64 and GTA4 no way
    AMD x3 is the lowest GTA4 need

14. tomgreen321

tomgreen321 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD6870
    There is honestly no point in owning a GTX 460 with an Athlon 64 x 2. Hell my old A64 x2 used to cripple my old 5770. Sell it and get something far weaker and older, or upgrade. It's basically a waste of money with your setup and if it was free a waste of power.

15. sarit3D

sarit3D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^

yep cpu is the issue, get a fast quadcore :D

17. Reiz3r

Reiz3r Active Member

GPU:
    XFX R7850 2gb
    cpu bottleneck......

18. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX570 @ 880MHz
    I remember doing basically the same thing back when GTA IV was released, ended up with me going out and buying a quadcore CPU as that was the only feasable remedy.

The game is still incredibly badly optimized, even with the newest patches and my current rig it slows down to ~30-40fps once I dare setting the view distance higher than like 25 or shadows higher than medium.

19. RiC@RdOC

RiC@RdOC Member

GPU:
    2xGTX460 1Gb
    Did you tried to delete the config file in gta?
    I have to delete that file every time i install a new driver.
    If i don't do that the game give me black screen after the rockstar logos.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  20. andressergio

andressergio Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1080Ti HOF SLI

use 263.06 TESLA DRIVERS and will go out