GeForce GTX 295 preview [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Nice card. However, I'd still like a 1GB frame buffer. I guess I'll wait until the 55nm GTX 280's hit and use the Step-Up program to grab a couple of those. And John was right, this card beats the 4870x2 just marginally so it's not really anything to get too excited about.

2. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Or maybe some none-conductive glue and a kidnapped driver maker to help you slap both your GTX 260 into one bulk !

3. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Lol. I'm actually partial to ATI but two 55nm GTX 280's in SLI will rule all, at least for a few months. :)

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    according to the review/preview this card looks like a great card and a proper answer to the X2, obviously no reason for me to invest in one as the X2 is already an excellent card and drivers seem to improve things every so often so it's all good, but the nvidia cards are just as good or better.

i have to say nice one nvidia, did a good job. ;)

i also like the fact it's a hybrid Gtx260/280, nvidia probably included less memory for price reason, seem to be doing very well so no complaints.

5. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I don't know about that, I mean it's been a while since ATI released a card too, last time they came out with GDDR5 and 55nm chip ..... they must be up to something, maybe it's their turn to pull of a 2inch by 2 inch GPU XD

6. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    True that :p I'm jealous of that setup :D

Weld them to a block of metal and stick it in LN2 I say !

7. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I hope that they do. Unfortunately, I'll be using Nvidia for at least the next year because I'm seriously going to get two GTX 280's when they're released in 55nm. My wife will have a heart attack if I blow even more money after grabbing two of those.

I waited almost three years to do a complete overhaul and when I upgrade, I don't screw around. :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  8. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    K, see, its like this, both sandwiches, agree ?

4870x2
    [​IMG]

GTX 295
    [​IMG]

9. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    LMAO!
    I'll take the second one, thanks.

10. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    Me 2 hehe :approval:

11. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    No, the first one is a edible sweet! (look at lettuce!!) :banana:

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah zombie burger with green brains
    i'd eat them both cus in the end its allllll the same..... two fast bugers:)
    let us green guys have our day it wont(yes i'm a self proclaimed nv fanboy) last....never does for either camp.

13. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    lol ati got owned by crappy driver support in dead space...
    oh i think i found a card for my future system :D

14. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    No matter who is the best its all good for use, its always makes things cheaper.
    I just still cant make up my mind.
    I want GTX295, but realy my system runs all my games fine(but the 512megs of ram are holding me back I think), and then the GTX300 coming mid of 2009 with DX11 I think, wich Im sure I would want.
    From alot of the reviews the GTX295 at my rez 1680x1050 looks like the clear champ so I might just bite on this one.

15. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Thanks for the review Hilbert. Looks like Nvidia users with step up options will be very pleased with this one for sure.

16. eduardmc

eduardmc Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
    so after 3 month of the 4870x2 being the king, nvidia release the gtx295. but i guess nvidia is playing catch up at this time. let see
    10% more peformance for 70% higher price.

4870x2 $400
    gtx295 $600

17. sjfwhite

sjfwhite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870
    So if I read this correctly, the GTX295 is similar in many respects to the 9800GX2 in terms of there being 2 PCB's and a bridge chip? If so, I am hopeful that Nvidia has worked out some of the driver bugs that plague the 9800GX2 (e.g. relatively poor performance in Far Cry 2). Comments?

18. wud03

wud03 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512MB @ 690/1188
    Never upgrade till you need it. Even then upgrade based on performance/price and resolution you play your games. That's my golden rule.

Btw the Dead Space performance impressed me a lot, but I think that has more to do with ATI's driver ineptitude.

19. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I really hope that they support this card properly. The current 9800 GX2 driver support isn't that great, if you have a look into the Nvidia driver section of this forum. At least imo, there seem to be a lot more people with a 9800 GX2 complaining about proper driver support for their games than with any other Nvidia card...

Besides that, it looks like a very nice card and they took back the performance crown from ATI - at least for now. :D
    I have to say that I really think that they did a good job this time with the cooling. Although not exactly the same card, I'm quite happy with the temperatures of my GTX260 and it's noise level when it's idle. Of course, under full load it sounds like a jet taking off, but hey, when you're using the full capacity of your GPU, chances are very high that you have the sound cranked up, too. :D

Great preview! :D

20. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 480 8gb
    First off, great review. This is the first time I checked out an entire review and I'm on board.

Secondly, I see some ati users being negative about the 295. Face it, the 295 wins and it's only using very early beta drivesr against ATI's optimized driver. ATI was top for 6 months. Be happy. But this just shows that if nvidia decided they wanted to they could and with the 295, they did and did it without ddr5, less vram, and lower core.

@eduardmc
    The cheapest 4870x2 is actually 490 on newegg. And since you have that card you should know unless you got yours elsewhere for 400? The 295 as said in the very first page of the article up top is going to retail at 500.

Lets see. 490$ card that's slower with ATIs #%$^&*&&U driver support or a 500$ card that's stronger and with great driver support from nvidia.. Hmm, this is a tough one.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008