GeForce GTX 260 OC Causing System Crashes

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XWolfGhost, Dec 3, 2008.

1. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    Well I seem to have fixed it. The VGA Booster wasn't grounded properly so it must not have been getting enough power. But it has done it once so far, after about 2 hours of playing. Has yet to do it since so hopefully that is the end of it, thanks for every ones help though.

2. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Thats good to hear..hopefully that was the problem and you didn't have to spend any money.

3. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    Well, it was good for about two days. Now its become unplayable now, crashes after about 15 minutes max. I was thinking about what the problem could be and I am thinking its gotta be a conflict somewhere. The power can't be the problem because again, the VGA is only powering the graphics, and the recommended requirements from nVidia are done with a single power supply for the entire system. The VGA only supplies the card, unless for some reason it is trying to supply other things through the motherboard, not sure.

I downloaded the program nTune to monitor the temperature and run the stress test. It is able to run for 10 minutes and then only for 2 minutes at times, this supports my theory that its not the power supply. The temperature never goes above 55C now, and I have read around and people have their 260s going up to 80C while running games. The system also crashes even when its at 40C.

What confuses me is why I never have it happen when using the integrated, or should I say makes me angry... even when I have both connected to my monitor.

Edit- In the nTune program it has a monitor called "Voltage" it lists a number of things like CPU, Memory, and PCI-E. All of them are not-reported but I'm guessing this is because I'm not using an nForce Motherboard?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    ok dont use ntune period. its will cause crashes.

use evga prec tool or rivatuner to overclock and increase fan speed on your graphics card.

i use evga prec tool. 60 percent fan speed with a 260 is enough for me.

use a program called everest if u want to monitor things.

or cpuz gpuz

5. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    Something I found interesting, not sure if it matters but it seems like it does. I decided to reinstall Vista just to have everything fresh with none of the Dell drivers and such. During the installation the screen went black after the first restart, but the installation continued, no big surprise I guess. The first boot up I had to use the integrated monitor connection because it wasn't recognizing the 260. After that I disabled the VGA Graphics Adaptor, restarted, and the 260 started working. So I go to install the drivers and it freezes...but the computer is responsive unlike before, I am able to turn Caps Lock on and off. After I restarted I noticed that the fan for the 260 was running louder then normal. The system wasn't starting up either, rather then having to hold the power button a simple press would turn it off. I tried three times all with the same result so I decided to plug the monitor into the integrated.

After that it starts up so I go into the BIOS and under the graphics there is no longer a selection for PCIEx or PCI first but rather Onboard or PCI first. The 260 fan is also running louder. So I let it start up, go into the hardware manager and the VGA Graphics Adaptor has decided to enable itself again...so is there something with the VGA Graphics Adaptor that is conflicting with the 260 causing all the problems?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  6. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    m8 you havent got enough power pure and simple.

300w plus 400w booster just does not cut it with a 260.

minimum 650w to be on the safe side.

7. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    i had a problem with my 260oc. it kept crashing in hourly intervals, i tried every thing even a new psu and it was still crashing. so i de-clocked the rig thinking there was an unstable overclock or the ram couldnt run at its rayed spec. after a month of reseating this and replacing that it turned out that it was my anti-virus that caused the crash's. imon internet and email monitor to be exact,

so to fix the issue all i had to do was tell nod not to scan online games and alls been well since and soon be going back to 4GHz.