GeForce GTX 2070 and 2080 Could Launch Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2018.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The AMD reply for the next Nvidia Gaming GPUs and raytracing tech was already announced.

It's just aother OpenGPU/Vulkan gimmick no gaming dev will use for Windows (98.5% of PC market):

https://gpuopen.com/announcing-real-time-ray-tracing/

It looks like AMD "rebadged" an (already) revamped gimmick from two years ago:

https://gpuopen.com/firerays-2-0-open-sourcing-and-customizing-ray-tracing/

2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Naming standards don't mean jack. After all, the current series (Pascal) is called the GeForce 10 series while the previous series (Maxwell) was called the GeForce 900 series.

As for the rumors, I won't believe it until it's official. No sense in being let down again, like with GDC/GTC (if I want gossip, I'll go to wccf :p). I seriously don't understand why people are so eager for the next-gen cards when current-gen cards are more than sufficient (it's not like Nvidia has any real competition ;)).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh, I think it's saying the first use of Ampere as an Nvidia architecture name comes from that website.. not why the architecture is called Ampere.

To be fair RTX is just a continuation of Nvidia's work on OptiX. The idea behind these new raytracing systems is they use traditional GPU optimized raytracing but they don't require as many rays for good quality because they denoise the final image.

4. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    because nobody wants to buy an overpriced 2-years-old gpu that can became obsolete between 2 o 3 months...

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Yes. RTX follows previous Nvidia work, like some ppl said DX12 followed AMD mantle work.

The problem for AMD is it's inability to gain any improvement in Gaming GPU market share using their own tech like mantle, hbmX,...

And still AMD is stubborn and insist in hbmX for customer market GPUs while Nvidia uses GDDR5(X) or 6.

IF AMD only improved his gaming GPU sells based on the mining craze expect a HUGE fall in shares value.

Bitmain Ethereum ASIC news already made a dent in AMD value forecast.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Incorrect, Irrelevant, Irrelevant, Incoherently incorrect, Incorrect. :D

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    It's because we want a card that finally gives unbeatable bang for buck. 1160 with 8gigs of GDDR6 beating a 1080 for 1/3 of the price. 3rd party 1160's factory OC'd closing in on 1080Ti.

Xmas release gg thanks nVidia.

1170 will come in two flavors an 8gb and a 16gb version, 1180 will be 16gb only.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Almost sounds like some fictional incredibly powerful fantasy wizard. I like the sound of Hilbert AngerDoom, stresser of the hardware and writer of the compendia, keeper of the famae :D

nz3777 likes this.
  9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Waiting on GDDR6 for new graphics cards to release?

Yawn~

If GDDR6 wasn't such a disappointment i could see waiting, but currently, it's just so boring and barely even better (and in some cases not even better)

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    So, like you've been around since 2013, my name is in every post in the forums, on any news item and pretty much 80% of the articles and now you notice it is Hagedoorn ... Mate, you need sum glasses :)

Although Angerdoom is quite catchy, ... :D

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    That cook picture would be ideal then :D

Edit:
    nvm I've read the article again, saw it at the end :)

12. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Maybe he has Swedish ancestry...

13. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    lol, i know quite catchy. Maybe the day i will have a child i ll trow to the table the name angerdoom... but i think my girlfriend trow me out of the window ahahah

14. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    Exactly! Nvidia have always been boringly consistent over the years. We all thought they wouldn't possibly release a "1080" named card because of the conflict with 1080p resolution, yet they did. Everyone seems to have forgotten this? :confused:

But it'll be a 1165/1175 at launch in May actually. Ha! :D

15. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    For some reason I find HH's new "name" more exciting than those news. :D

And personally I prefer the 1180Ti naming over 2080Ti tbh.

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    if that is even remotely true ....it's been a while since we saw such a performance jump from generation to generation no ?

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    If I were Nvidia I would use the 20xx model naming simply because it separates from the last gen (10xx) more convincingly. An 1180 almost seems like a refresh name, even though it may be an entirely new arch. A 20xx card sounds more 'weighty' to me.

18. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Can't wait for 10080Ti then!

:D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Maddness likes this.
  19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Nvidia could just decide to reboot the series. I find it kind of funny how the GeForce 9000 series existed before the GeForce 900 series. Maybe take a page out of the MS playbook: GeForce One :p

20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Yeah, i'll believe it, when i see it... Titan Volta is only about 30% faster than Titan Xp, so i can't see how the new geforce card could possibly be any faster than the full volta titan.

My money is still on that they use the same chip used for titan volta (which they might call ampare for geforce cards), with some clusters deaktivated, aswell as without tensor cores, and using gddr6 instead of hbm2, making it 20 % faster than Titan Xp, but 10% slower than Titan Volta.