GeForce GTX 1080 Ti resurrected from the dead?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 6, 2021.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Why the surprise? My 1080Ti is alive and kicking!

And to think i won it here!

Stormyandcold likes this.
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My 1080ti FE with Accelero Xtreme cooler is still happily gaming with an Ultrawide 1440p screen at max res!
    This card has life like no other.

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    I see them selling locally. And getting sold. This is not some ad crap. All I know is thankfully I got lucky both times the mining bubble burst.
    I bought a brand new R9 Fury in 2017 a week before it went crazy. Was $247 new. A week later. $450 used.

Same thing with my 5700XT. Bough it just in time. Honestly, I didnt truly need it. I had a vega 56 and was doing well. But the extra fps the 5700xt got at 3440x1440 was worth it.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wait 1xxx series is already eol? when this happen?

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It hasnt, see link in the op.
    edit
    oops, I misread your post, thinking you said 1xxx series is back in production already.
    my bad.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  6. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    So what is different?
    They're people 'screaming' the shortages can partly be attributed to a lack of components to assemble the cards... beyond the chip itself.
    Refresh my memory, doesn't the GTX1080Ti use capacitors and other surface-mount ICs as well?
    If they have the will to refresh this card, then they should also have parts to assemble the later cards.

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    The way I see it, If true the aim for this would be to keep the price of the 3060 up at the current absurdly high levels for as long as possible.... sticking all the "old" stuff at lower price brackets to justify having a medium range video card priced as an ultra high end part.

8. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    I don't see what's the point of doing this, people don't want to upgrade backwards. And the scalpers will probably still go for it anyway. All we want is an increased production of the RTX 3k series. Yeah, they "know" about it, but their solution ain't exactly the right thing. It's not like the GTX 1080Ti will suddenly become more affordable as of how things are going right now. I'd bet it would still be overpriced way beyond its original MSRP when it came out a few years back (even if adjusted for inflation). Call me pessimistic but this isn't what most people want right now. I'm not going to spend $900 (Canadian) on a 5 years-old card (will turn 5 years-old this coming May).

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If it weren't for all the ray tracing stuff/dlss, I would likely still be very satisfied with my at launch bought 1080Ti. It's likely the best (price/performance) card I have ever and will ever own. I still got mine on the launch price, before the first mining craze, incredible luck really as it happened soon after.

And it's insane to think that after 4 years I could sell it now at a profit! But the flipside would be to buy a 3080/3090 at 4x launch price... I don't know, as it crazy as it sounds, I might do that if a 3080Ti comes out.

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    The way it's meant to be mined.

carnivore and chispy like this.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Cannot wait for the gtx 8800 Ultra to be resurrected too :D

Undying and Saabjock like this.
  12. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Both AMD and Nvidia seem to have tapped into 'client desperation' with a willingness to now play games to keep prices elevated beyond the pandemic effect.
    Asian markets...as indeed their workforce are largely back to production normals and have been for some time.

Solfaur and chispy like this.
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'm sure there are many of us here that wish we could go back in time and buy a 1080ti. It really is the best GPU ever made.

14. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 3080 OC
    Mining, how that energy all consuming activity has penalised gamers. I upgraded my gaming rig last November after 7 years, I'd hope that if I was upgrading now that I'd pay the same amount for the ASUS Rog Strix 3080 OC. I see the supply situation no better on the website of the company who built my gaming rig for individual NVidia card purchases, no doubt better for complete systems?

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The problem is allocation, pre-covid and post covid is completely different.

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    That said .... Say a voodoo 3000 reproduction would be sweet to build a pure retro gaming system ! Hell honestly most likely if they do not price it insanely i will decorate such card ! Just a shelf with voodoo 2 &3 geforce 256. The first radeon ! Radeon 9700 pro gtx 8800gt r9 290x and 1080ti all in a row and name that shelf ... The shelf of legends! Sure there are more legendary cards but those are the bigger legends in my mind :p

chispy and Solfaur like this.
  17. KotS

KotS Member

RTX 1080 Ti could be very interesting.

18. ManuKey

ManuKey Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    No, it was 700 USD$ on release and it is the lowest price seen for this card.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I was thinking of used market. ;)

20. SatsuiNoHado

SatsuiNoHado Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Holly crap...! Whoever said im dead is all marketing Naughtyshit
    taker.jpg