GeForce Game Ready Driver 358.91 WHQL

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by maur0, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Experienced yet another TDR error last night while browsing through my Steam library in Grid mode. I am getting quite concerned about this to be honest as the GPU is barely being used on the desktop (Steam hardware acceleration is on though) compared with gaming. I have not encountered any TDRs while playing games though, mainly Fallout 4, which is really weird as the GPU is getting far more of a workout running that.

What makes this so annoying is that I had not seen any TDRs in weeks until I updated to Windows 10 Build 10586 last week. I had been using the same v358.91 drivers with Build 10240 with no issues so it does point to the Windows update as being the cause. I have been seeing the desktop flash from time to time and the Event log does list some issues with WDDM or something. The TDRs are the usual 'The driver has stopped responding and recovered' message pointing to an NVIDIA driver component. When I get that message then the next game I play is stuck at 2D clock speeds on the core (500-600 MHz instead of 1,100-1,200 MHz) meaning that I have to restart my PC.

At this point I do not know if the issue is specific to my PC or is more widespread. Not everyone will have updated Windows 10 yet and, if they have, they may not be using the same graphics driver. :(

Sorry to quote myself but I have found that it is the act of opening Steam (double-clicking on the system tray icon to display the Games library) that causes the TDR error as it just happened again now!!! :bang:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC

I also got this message twice. Once playing fallout 4.

3. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    i don't have this issue but i didn't play fallout 4.

4. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    i never play any AC game... is possible kill karl marx in this new game? if yes i need play it

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Should have been a new driver today (or is it in Tuesdays). Cant help thinking about the lack of proper SLI support when Unity was launched.

Don't think it's possible...or historically accurate for that matter ;)

6. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Game-Ready driver for AC: Syndicate tomorrow.

7. peppercute

peppercute Guest

GPU:
    Msi 2080Ti TRIO
    Proof?:3eyes:

8. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    and you know that by...what?

Anyways, bottom line is that we can't really trust that a "Game ready" driver is what it says..can we?

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Did you perform a clean install of the drivers after updating Win 10? I'm running the same driver and GPU as you and not a single crash issue. Of course the rest of my hardware is different from yours. The only recent issues I've had regarding the drivers was when I didn't do a clean install after updating Win 10. Also I'm not using GeFarce Experiment either. I'm using a modified install config file and using the old Nvidia Updater which still works.

10. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    He wanted to know if a driver would be available.

Speculating on whether the driver will have good performance is a waste of everyone's time.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    No, I haven't done a clean install of the driver but I did reinstall it post-Windows 10 update even though v358.91 was already up and running.

I have Steam open while it is downloading patches/updates for three games and while switching between it and Chrome have had three TDRs, although these are not preceded by a blanking/flashing of the screen like others I've had.

What is galling is that I need to open Steam to run the games but doing so causes a TDR which in turn causes the GPU core to get stuck at 2D speeds. I can get around it by creating shortcuts but Steam still needs to be running to play the games so...well, you get the gist. :bang:

I have disabled hardware acceleration in Steam but still has a couple of TDRs so a clean install is my only option. Kind of wish I'd held off upgrading to Windows 10 Build 10586 now because I never had this issue with Build 10240, even with these same drivers. :(

12. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Hmm i thought also that there may have been a driver update today.

Steam says that it unlocks in 10 hours and what about SLI support ?

Does this driver have a profile in it for this game (I haven't instead this driver)

Can they push a SLI profile form the Geforce Experience ****e .

13. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    ac syndicate runs great with this driver.

1440p 50-60fps @ gtx 970

14. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    With everything on Ultra/FXAA(1440P) i'm getting 20-25FPS outside. We need new Game-Ready driver or patch.

15. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    so dont play with ultra settings?

a new driver wont do miracles.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    UPDATE: I did a clean install of the v358.91 drivers using DDU v15.6.1 (the latest version) by rebooting into Safe Mode and installing them from there using Run as Admin on Setup.exe and choosing the Custom > Clean install option. I have not even restored my profiles backup and, sure enough, when I opened up Steam after another restart (which I always do following a driver install) then I got another TDR/Driver has stopped responding and recovered message. The issue is pretty much replicable as it happens 8 times out of 10 when opening Steam's window. And it does not happen any other time. :(

So either there is a problem with my system, which seems unlikely given I can play games just fine, or there's an issue with these drivers on Windows 10 Build 10586 (v1511). I did re-enable Steam's hardware acceleration and I suspect that may be the culprit as it wasn't that long ago that Chrome was notorious for causing TDRs with NVIDIA drivers on the desktop and one workaround was to disable hardware acceleration.

Really not amused at all. Where can I report this to NVIDIA? Thanks.

17. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The game should run better than Unity, it has way less crowd and view distance.

18. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
  19. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    well, for me it is running better than unity.

20. pesticle

pesticle Guest

GPU:
    980GTX 4GB
    Darren did you try reinstalling steam itself or opting into the steam beta client?

I haven't had TDR issues but have resolved other steam issues by reinstalling the client. You can do it without having to redownload all your games