GeForce ForceWare 260.89 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by sarditia, Oct 18, 2010.

?

260.89 WHQL Rating

1. THE SAME !

68 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. Better than betas.

31 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Worse than betas.

10 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Empty voice (see results)

29 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. Markiss614

Markiss614 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX470 SLi
    I noticed the 260 drivers have "Dynamic Contrast Enhancement" enabled by default. Have you tried disabling it?

2. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    Amazing drivers!!

3. lexuger

lexuger Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070 Super
    then, go well with these drivers the gtx 260? good... i will test it.

4. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    I disagree... You should always do the WHQL one even if identical to a beta, just so if something happens (crashes, bugs, etc.) you can officially blame nvidia for a crappy release and it's not a beta's fault. lol

5. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Well, the way I understand it, the driver has a common core for all nvidia gpus, and a branch for each series or architecture. So while the latest gpus get the current work, and the older gpus' branches in the driver are more-or-less frozen, there are still always bugs and tweaks to be worked out in the common core of the driver. Performance may not be increased anymore for older gpus, but surely stability and the like can still be improved.

For example, with my older cards (8800 GTS 512), I don't know if there is any change in FPS (don't care anyway) with this driver. But, I can say it is definitely the best driver I've had in a LONG time, and especially since using Windows 7. Other than stability being better, it eliminates a couple annoying issues I've had (hitchy view panning, and slowdowns in some games).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. sideband

sideband Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  7. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 DOC
    Going from 258.96 WHQL, I felt small performance boost on recent common games like MW2, BFBC2, Grid, Dirt2, SC2, MoH. Maybe because these drivers are more focused on newer cards like the 400series... Still, better is better.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    People will blame nVidia or MS regardless of whether or not the driver they're using is a beta or "modded" or WHQL.

9. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070

Why do you have vsnc on?I havent had it on in years.

10. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    Originally Posted by HaZe303
    Medal Of Honor MP works beautifully fine on my GTX460OC, but only in Dx9 mode (maybe even dx10.1 mode), but DX11 still has some issues. My performance with dx11 (vsync enabled) is between 45-55fps which most of us know is not fluid in MOH/BC2, but DX9 wont budge under 60fps? Im starting to think there is something very wrong with DX11 itself, or the graphics engine, or both ATI/Nvidia DX11 drivers? I dont know, but both my systems (1 with ATI and second with Nvidia) are experiancing huge issues with all games with DX11 (except Civ5(dx11) runs superbly), but on both systems DX9 works fine. Dx11 worked fine some months ago, but not any more?? What is going on? Why have these new features as DC/OpenCL/Tesselation, if all they do is kill youre performance to a halt(with small if any increase in IQ)?? Thats idiotic! Something has to happen, bc as it is now even the huge letdown DX10 is better at the moment than DX11?

No one knows what the dx11 issue is with MoH. Most are blaming EA/Dice as they likely knew of the issue during beta testing when all of the ctd started happening. Any claim that Dice didn't know of this issue is total nonsense. The ctd after a round was reported on EA's forums during beta testing. There own internal testing would have even shown this issue, assuming they have one. Dice has only so far blamed nVidias 400 series and told people to switch to dx10 or 9. I am not 100% sure if only nvidia cards have this issue. I've only heard that some people with ATI cards get the same ctd with dx11.
    So far this is not a driver or hardware issue that is caused by nvidia. It looks like it has to do with Dice. At some point someone will take responsibility but by the time that happens CoD Black Ops will be out and most will just switch over. This is just another example of why games,hardware,drivers and patches all need to be properly tested before ever being distriubted to the public. To many people are just accepting a game as is and then they become the testers for the company. That doesn't mean the game will get better either or even fixed. Modern Warfare 2 is a perfect example. Game is trash but had lots of potential. PC gamers will not tolerate being sold crap and the companies that think that they can get away with it will eventually be proven wrong. Money will always be made but piss off a PC gamer or enough of them and you'll have an uprise that you won't like to deal with, just ask IW. They likely will and should never be forgiven.

Overall I like the 260 whql driver. It may not be better than the beta but it's better than the 258 whql.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Weird :/ , hmmm ,The Bad = i lost ~7-10 fps in DiRT2. The Good = IQ definitely its a lot better than last 258.96whql. Win some and loose some , mehh.....

12. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Well I've gone for better than betas as the problem I'm having with black textures in Gothic 4 (on high texture settings) took longer to come through than normal

... could have been luck of the draw though!

13. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    does anyone have any probs if they change the gamma/contrast etc in the NVCP with these drivers??

14. Lightmgl

Lightmgl Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 SC SLI
    I've had pretty good experiences with this driver so far but I do get a bit of texture flickering in a few games which I did not get with the 260.63s.

Also anyone having DPC latency issues, I had tremendous success fixing it by disabling HPET in my bios. My DPC Latency never goes above 50 now and usually sits in the teens with my SLI 460s. The microstutter issues I had in some games (animations appeared to speed up and slow down at the same FPS) went away almost completely. I came across it after doing some digging trying to find people with the same problem and it seems that Nvidia has issues with it sometimes.

15. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    This driver is horrible on my system. I have terrible stutter in games, lost a good deal of fps, when I exit some games or application it will reduce my resolution to 800x600.

Here's a benchmark:
    Heaven Benchmark, DX10, Shaders high, Anisotropy x16, AA x0, 1920x1080.
    260.63:
    max: 151.7
    min: 29.5
    average: 70.1
    max temp: 86

------------------------

260.89:
    max: 136.7
    min: 28.8
    average: 64.3
    max temp: 85

Oh and did I mention the horrible stutter? These drivers are not recommended. Horrible...just horrible...

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Blue crap appears in Mass Effect 1.

17. p0ppa

p0ppa Guest

GPU:
    Strix 3080 OC
    stick with the latest 19x.xx drivers... once nv releases new gfx cards they CBF to support older cards.

18. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    I will do that :) The 260.xx series is horrible on my system. I still hope for the 1/10 driver which works perfect for me, like 197.45. ;)

19. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    jup, i did tryed..Anyway, i mostly watch movies and my series, so these are nogo for me..back to 259.57 quadro, best driver so far for me..

greetz

20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I just disabled HPET in my BIOS and my DPC latency plummeted as well!

Not that it was high to begin with really (highest reported was 150 or so), but now it's super low.. Hovering around 10..

*Edit* General windows performance seems like it's improved as well.. Games feel smoother as well! :D