GeForce Forceware 260.52 Win 7/Vista 64-bit

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by phk, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    at least with 258.96 turning cores off in bios wouldnt help stuttering. You had to alt-tab, rightclick bfbc2 process and 'choose affinity'. I guess imagecfg.exe would have worked also.

2. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    To those having the utilization problem, do you actually notice the dips in frame rate then?

No problems here, though tbh I've never bothered paying close attention to the utilization graphs and I always have vsync on which locks everything to 60fps anyway....

3. NeuroFunkeR

NeuroFunkeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte NV WF3 670GTX
    not for me, in Thief 2 i see this ugly green colored renderer, as it was at before with older drivers. Still have to use ddfix

4. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Have a feeling your not playing Multiplayer AMIRITE?

5. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Yah naturally, else it would not be any issue.

We have low gpu utilization and low fps thats the problem here.

6. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    OK I'll check it out later, but my 480 seems to be immune to it.

7. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce

Sigh, are you on crack?

You are only here 'fighting' in this thread to be right.

So you changed your position from "olol you are CPU bound" when you realize he has a close to 4 ghz hexa core to "ololol it happends ALL areas of BC2 that you been to so far where SINGLE THREADED". I mean c'mon stop bsing us.

A cpu hitting 100% is not good neither is it considered normal. But if you remove cores ( parallell working capability ) from a game that realies ( to the devs own descrpition ) heavy on multi threading then you would expect some sort of performance loss over the course of a whole game or several maps.

That is not whats happening here, people can disable all their cores down to 3 cores and see ZERO performance change in BC2 for some odd reason. If you where cpu bound in an application that supports 6 treads ( might even been 8 I don't remb ) and get no performance loss when you go down to 3 threads then you cannot stomp the hardware and say "lol your cpu is took weak, you need a 10 ghz cpu for the singlethreaded parts lololol".

You see how your not making much sense now? It is 1) the game thats very very poorly threaded 2) the drivers are extremly bad 3) a bit of both, and since dice ain't gonna do anything about it Nvidia has to pick up the slack on their end.

Now feel free to believe and say whatever you want but basically having people rediculing the issue after not even reading the posts thouroughly is just Zzz, even Nvidia have stated it is a driver issue that has been verified and they are in the works of fixing it. This ofc doesn't mean that it can't be the game aswell.

With all this said, yes there are ALWAYS bottlenecks with hardware, there will always be a component at any given time that can go a little bit faster if it had not to wait for other parts to finish their 'tasks' first. Parallel workthreads also have to wait for eachother at sync points before they can proceed we all know this, but this does not explain why the game seem to be clearly cpu bound but then again do not seem to benefit at all from anything above 3 cores.
    :)

8. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Haha, we need a vaccination program in that case :banana:
    :)

/edit

Have to take stemcells from your 480 and send it to the labz!

9. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    I've now fully tested and my 480 stays at 100% utilization the vast majority of the time, with tiny drops to mid 80's at lowest/worse point. In short - its fine and immune to your driver/architecture ailment lol

10. trementine

trementine Member

GPU:
    Colorful GTX 480
    Been trying Bad Company 2 single player for the first time just to prove Sneakers is wrong.

As I though, GPU utilization is the exact same as multiplayer, hovering from 50% to 70%. FPS rock solid at 60, 1920x1080 everything maxed up. Not a single fps drop, staying all the time at 60fps.

It seems like some people are so obstinated that try to prove they are actually wrong is useless. Let them cry.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010

11. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Thats interesting as I'm similar spec, same res and vsync, so max I'll hit is 60fps, but I'm hitting/sitting at 100% utilization. I have 8 x AA and HBAO on though...

12. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Bad drivers for me(G80 user):

Got to install with modified inf
    Control Panel simply refuses to run.No error message.
    D3D10 driver not updated.Still showed old version(i had 257.21 previously) but all else was 260.52.

Btw i installed 2 times and did numerous restarts.Still no-go.
    So uninstall and i went with 258.96.

Will wait for proper 260.** WHQL

13. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Suprim X
    on the monitor from MSIAfterburner, the gpu1 usage shows the 8800GTX that i affected to PhysX. But it seems not very active in bfbc2. [​IMG]
    but then i look at the game's box and there is no physX logo so it just ok ( :nerd: )

this is now playing in Metro2033 which uses that technology [​IMG]

now in fluidmark v1.2 it clearly works with those drivers
    [​IMG]

I play on a 24" display:
    -in bfbc2 SP i have fpses going from 65 to 90
    -in metro2033 AF16x and AAA instead of MSAA4x DX11 very High textures here fpses going from 25 to 45 (approximatively with this setup)

If im not mistaking here, everything is just perfect with those 260.52 drivers. FAN's monitoring is fine also
    my 8800GTX still has the 258.96 according to GPU-Z 0.4.6 which isn't a problem i think, but again i might miss something

Keepers :) thx nvidia

14. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Im probably not expressing my self correctly in English. I do know the problem exist.
    Where did I say 10ghz cpu ? I dont understand this. Hexa core? never talk or know anyone with this.When I state disable your 7 cores, its just that I have 8 so I use my formula. I dont know how many core this guy have.

And WTF is this with Fighting? I'm not fighting at all. Just giving information out. it was my second post and my first one was a : care when you check your gpu usage. Are your guys here just 20years kido?
    Was I even talking BC2 ??? no
    Anyway im out. this community is not worth it.

15. Ukraver

Ukraver Master Guru

GPU:
    msi r280x oc
    im suprised bfbc2 has anyone on its servers frm nvidia , wtf is all the hassle about

i use a single 275 with a quad and always get over 50 fps with 1920 x 1200 all maxed out settings hboa off with 2x supersampling enabled in nvcpl , with gpu at 85-100 % all the time

and as for drivers every driver i have used since it come out has performed about the same maybe 5 fps lower fps fluctuations between sets , i dont get cpu bottlenecks and all that bs , pure myth for me that

i just wish it was a better game and not some joke of a console port , now im off to lie down , oh , i cant if im on bfbc2:bang:

16. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    I'm sorry but didn't you just quote M4arcus and made a brushover post regarding his problems when he since beginning of august have posted about the BC2 gpu utilization issue.

Obviously since your not in the loop or got any clue about the whole issue your seemingly clueless post will get a pritty harsh response. If you do not know what the issue is about, why bother to comment in the 1st place? If the 260.52 driver is working great for you then thats good stuff, for others including myself it is not working that good.

My comments about the 10 ghz cpu etc are sarcastic since that is basically what your implying, that the hardware is 100% at fault here wich is just nonesense. Your remarks regarding how we expect to see 90+% gpu utilization in all games all the time is also in bad taste since nobody said that and the issue with BC2 is so much more then just utilization.
    The low utilization together with low fps and none performance drops after disabling cores is a sympthome of a big problem that many people experience.

I mean do you see how telling someone with a modern hexacore that they are cpu limited, then changing their position to blaming the game saying it isn't multithreaded everywhere (like we didnt know ) just to come out beeing right about someting might be seen as useless and rediculing post?

17. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    On page 18 or 17 I already posted in response to Thehunters question about this.

Also what is this proving me wrong? If you wanna prove me wrong you better get a plane ticket come to my house and prove me wrong on my system since obviously we have people here who have issues with BC2 in particularly and some that doesn't, that occur to you yet?

As I already said 2 pages ago, with the 258.96 WHQL driver I get 90+ utilization during singleplayer all the time ( on the same upriver stretch and settings I always test on ) while I get very fluctuating gpu utilization with the 260.52, but the fps are pritty much identical on both driver sets. When I put anything above 2x AA ( as in 4x aa and above ) I get 99% utilization everywhere with the 260.52 driver aswell.

Seems like discussing this is pointless at this stage since people seem to be unable to comprehend the issue and realize the obvious, that this problem do not seem to manifest on all systems.

18. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Try turning off the AA and hbao and I will bet my hat on that your utilization will drop but your fps will remain the same.

On my machine I can also "artificially" boost the gpu usage aswell by adding eyecandy hbao etc etc. The problem is that during multiplayer I do not get enough fps to begin with, and despite turning everything to low and off the gpu utilization do not pick up.

Now as said before a million times this points to CPU dependancy and a mayor bottleneck. The big big big questionmark here is that people on extremly overpowered systems show the same results and when disabling cores from the bfbc2 application there are still no sign of performance loss wich would be expected in a cpu bound application right? If it is starved of cpu power @ say 6 cores @ 3.7 ghz shouldn't it be worse with 3 cores @ 3.7 ghz? The results for me and others are crystal clear on this and that is that there are no performance loss, wich is wierd.

I'm not lecturing you in perticular, just repeating what already been said so there are no more missunderstandings and unnecessary diversions :)

19. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    OK, just given it another go with hbao off and 1 x aa. Now my utilisation is between 77 and 94 for 5mins play, smooth as silk (albeit with ugly tearing as expected). No slowdown or noticeable drops in fps.

In short I dont have the issue with my rig.

20. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Suprim X
    How can i know whether a game is D3D or OpenGL or else ? it doesn't appear on the games box.
    This is so technical to me, i'm kind of lost reading all this :stewpid: