GeForce Experience

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by JonasBeckman, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    GFE 3.0 is still a little buggy...

For example, Max Payne 3 shows twice in my library for E:\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Max Payne 3 and E:\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Max Payne 3\Max Payne 3. The latter sub-folder actually contains the game executable; the former is just the main folder where two sub-folders exist.

Another game that shows twice isForza Horizon 3. This appears to be due to the game having been updated and Microsoft using unique filenames for the main executable which includes the version number so I have entries for the original version and current one released yesterday.

2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC/UV
    Impressive how many background processes and autorun tasks in Windows Task Scheduler are required for this program with version 3.0.
    Wonder how bloated 4.0 will get. 16GB RAM required? :puke2:

3. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    lol, very true :)
    My personal opinion still remains, that "true" old school PC gamers don't need this GFE nonsense anyway.

Graphics driver + PhysX software + NVIDIA Inspector + A brain

That's all you really need here ;)
    Who needs some overly elaborate program to tell them what settings to use anyway?
    I swear PC gaming is being dumbed down more and more every day.

4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC/UV
    :)
    Imho the program's functionality is simply redundant. Usually every game brings its own relatively sane performance presets, improving visuals and decreasing performance can be changed in easy steps.
    Games even limit options by the amount of available VRAM, preselect presets that should be suited for the hardware etc.

And also GFE's other functionality, video encoding, is a poor joke.
    No option to record with fixed fps, no HEVC encoding, stuttery video results, annoying "Press Alt + Z to..." naggings...

It's a shame that programming resources are wasted into this program instead of USEFUL driver features like:
    -forced color LUT for every FSE application
    -sharpening postprocessing via driver
    -better DSR quality
    -etc...

5. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    well, considering how many people constantly complain about performance in games, it seems many do need help of such apps + it's great for newcomers who don't have the time or expertise to tweak settings. Build a sims PC for a girlfriend or a gaming budget rig for a kid, set optimizations to automatic, and GFE is useful. Or people who buy prebuilt rigs and do occasional gaming.

I personally only use shadowplay/share, and what's on offer, is ok. Great performance while recording, and not intrusive at all. If they add splicing together pieces of vids into longer vids, i'd not need to alt tab at all before editing and sharing my vids on yt.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Why do things the hard way when Nvidia will do the work and give you a base level to start with, tell you what each setting does and show you a visual example.
    It's a waste of your own gaming time to do it the hard way, especially when your older like myself and gaming time is limited.

It's like picking pen and paper over a calculator, you might both end up with the same result but the the person with the calculator will get there quicker.

Shadowplay/share is actually what i disable, can't think of any reason why someone would want to watch me play games.

7. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Because GFE is redundant, as aufkrawall said.
    And it makes the PC gaming community lazy overall IMO.
    The experience and knowledge you gain from doing things yourself is very valuable.

Also, any advanced tweaking such as forced AA and configuration file settings are not taken into account anyway. Not to mention modding.

It is not about getting there "quicker", but about doing the job right ;)
    Furthermore developing GFE and similar functionalities takes precious attention away from fixing basic driver bugs, improving game stability and performance, SLI support and other much more important things.
    GFE is a waste of the driver teams time.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  8. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC/UV
    The streaming features are also offered by other 3rd party tools, which often are easy to use as well.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Do you guys have any advice on what to use instead of shadowplay? I'd like to have something to record the last x minutes at the push of a button. Is there anything else that does that so one could get rid of it?

10. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    GB R9 390X G1
    Try OBS.

https://obsproject.com/

11. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Advanced tweaking doesn't just go away because of it though, and advanced tweaking of games and the OS often lead to threads and bug reports due to user error which wastes everyone's time, devs and driver teams.

I wasted so much time doing this over the previous few decades, and while I occasionally enjoy it, if your just a gamer then it's just a waste of your free time.

12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC/UV
    If you just want to play, why not simply start the game and enjoy it?

13. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    yeah, that's what GFE does for people. not all of us have time all day to tweak rigs and games, we aren't the targeted demographic, so yeah, from that perspective the app can feel redundant as some say. but it's only redundant if you have the time and expertise to manually do what GFE automates.

One look at steam forums of any new game and you see threads "low performance on my rig", "what settings for this and this gpu"

these kind of people are better of just pressing optimize in GFE.

From that perspective I can see why nvidia invests in GFE. it broadens the gaming public and avoids beginner pitfalls of PC gaming.

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yep, it's an optional feature to make things easier for some.

You hear the save outcry from single GPU users who think SLI is a waste of dev/driver resources, can't make everyone happy.

15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Never mind.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016

16. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC/UV
    I think I stated why my opinion is that even novice users don't need something like GFE, but ok. If I can't convince you, then it's that way.

17. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    i use GFE due to the prize.

18. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    All novice users need GFE, you need to be a certain kind of masochist with too much time on your hands to enjoy tweaking games manually, unfortunately there are lots of us who are.
    Experience users need it as well so they can get back to playing games instead of tweaking them.

It's the same reason i persevered with Mediaportal as my HTPC app, when most moved onto Kodi, even though it's a buggy pita.

19. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    I have to agree its a good base to start from , just optimise and go from there :)

20. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    We don't need to convince each other on anything, just talking.

What ever gets more people to the point of having an issue free PC gaming experience, like I have every day, is welcome in my book, be it manual tweaking or an automated app for newbies.