1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GeForce Experience v3.15.0.186 crashing on startup with a Sorry something went wrong etc

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Not sure when this issue started happening but I know that GeForce Experience was working fine with the v416.34 WHQL driver last weekend when I opened it but now it just crashes repeatedly on opening with a Sorry something went wrong. Please restart GeForce Experience message.

I've tried reinstalling it over the existing installation but it still crashed. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled it but it is just the same crash on startup.

The only things I've installed on my PC since last weekend, apart from some games, is the cumulative update on Tuesday which updated Windows 10 Pro v1809 from build 17763.55 to 17763.104.

*EDIT*
    Java also updated itself to v8.0 update 191 as well mid-week.

Is anyone else having problems opening GeForce Experience with that Windows update? It's possibly something else causing it but since that is the only system or driver that has been installed since the software last worked then it points to that being the cause. I can't see how game installations can cause GeForce Experience to crash (but feel free to correct me if this can happen).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Forgot to mention that I've seen fixes that mention opening Services.msc and editing to NVIDIA Telemetry service to Log On to the Local account but, oddly, I have three NVIDIA services listed but not this one. Yet the Telemetry files are showing in the Program Files/NVIDIA Corporation and Program Files (x86)/NVIDIA Corporation folders on my C drive.

So has the telemetry service been removed? Could this cause GeForce Experience to crash?

I did a clean installation of the v416.34 WHQL driver last weekend using DDU and have no problems running any games.

Can someone please tell me if the NVIDIA Telemetry service should be showing under Services? I have only the following three listed:

NVIDIA Display Container LS - Automatic (running)
    NVIDIA LocalSystem Container - Automatic (running)
    NVIDIA NetworkSystem Container - Manual (not running)

Thanks.

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Oh and please NVIDIA can we actually have MEANINGFUL error messages when one of your app crashes. Saying that something went wrong is NOT helpful at all at identifying the cause of the issue! There is nothing listed in the Event log either for this crash so how we expected to be able to resolve this issue ourselves if we have no information to work from?

lucidus likes this.
  4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Hi, I don't run GFE but on 416.34 the services, I do have an NVIDIA Telemetry Container and NVIDIA Display Container LS.
    Maybe you disabled it in task scheduler?
    It could also be when installing GFE they change things, see if you even have this paths

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NvTelemetry\NvTelemetryContainer.exe" -s NvTelemetryContainer -f "C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA\NvTelemetryContainer.log" -l 3 -d "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NvTelemetry\plugins" -r

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thanks for the reply.

Odd, I have not and have never disabled any NVIDIA tasks or services manually. I even reinstalled the v416.34 WHQL driver using the Clean install option yet GeForce Experience continues to crash when I open it.

I'll try that command you posted and report back...

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
  7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I am using GFE v3.15.0.186 already.

Still continues to crash on startup and NVIDIA's utterly useless error message (Something went wrong... we'll, no s**t Sherlock!) and lack of anything reported in the event log means it is impossible to identify what might be causing it.

The NVIDIA Telemetry service is not showing under Services on my PC though even after a further reinstall of the driver using the Clean option. I have only three NVIDIA services listed under Services whereas other people are reporting four.

Is this service not required any more on Windows 10 and so shouldn't be there? If someone who is using Windows 10 v1809 build 17763.55 or 17763.104 could just clarify if they have the NVIDIA Telemetry service under Services on their PC then that would be a start at trying to find out why this software has suddenly, in the last week, started crashing whereas previous it always worked fine.

8. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
  9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I am on Windows 10 v1809 build 17763.55

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thanks for the reply but that didn't work... quite; the .NET Framework v4.7.2 update didn't install as it was already installed and v3.14 of GFE still crashed.

However, I uninstalled that and installed the older v3.10 and that DID work, allowing me to sign back in and set everything up. Closing it down then reopening prompted an update to v3.13 which again worked fine.

Alas, if I close than then reopen GFE then it updates to v3.15.0.186 and it is this version that crashes so the issue is clearly with that build and possibly v3.14 since that crashed all. It all likelihood I was using v3.13 when I last opened GFE successfully.

Looks like GFE only works to v3.13 on my PC and v3.14 and later crash on startup.

P.S. I did not need to restart my PC between the different GFE uninstalls and reinstalls.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you do need the telemetry service for recent versions of GFE to work, and the telemetry container is present on 416.34 under 17763.104

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  12. Alberto

Alberto Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS GTX 1080 Ti
    Yes, me too!! But after three attempts all went well

13. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Could you try disabling all antivirus and do a clean install to check!!!??

and create another user account to check if the issue persist.

---------------------------------
    -Download DDU uninstaller
    -Boot into safe mode
    -Open DDU and select NVIDIA at the dropdown
    -Click on "Clean and Restart (Highly Recommended)"
    After it's done, it will boot back to normal mode without the driver.
    -Download the latest driver from NVIDIA's site
    -Start install wizard, accept license agreement
    -Select "Custom (Advanced)" install option and click next
    -Put a checkmark in "Perform a clean install" box
    ---------------------------------

Temporary FIX:

1 - Open the installation of the New Geforce Exp (do not install yet), that will extract the files from the new version.
    2 - Open the TEMP installation folder of the new Geforce Exp using Task Manager.
    3 - Copy and Replace all the files from the Old Geforce Experience Folder to the Temporal installation files, you can click ignore to any request (that's only folders issues)

Geforce Installation folder is: C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Downloader\latest

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Darren Hodgson likes this.
  14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thanks Caesar, I'll try your suggestion and report back if it works.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I do have the NVIDIA Telemetry service listed under Services on my PC, only the three I listed above. This is after numerous reinstalls of the v416.34 graphics driver and even the standalone GFEs (v3.10, v3.13, v3.14 and v3.15). I do not have any software installed that blocks or removes telemetry and I have not made any manual tweaks to the registry either to disable it.

Don't understand why some people are claiming the service is there on their PCs but it isn't there on mine. I just assumed that NVIDIA had merged some of the background processes to reduce the bloat as I'm sure at one time there used to be something like five or six NVIDIA services under Services.

Can someone post a screenshot of their services on Windows 10 v1809 build 17763.104 please that shows the four NVIDIA services, including the telemetry one please? Thanks.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    There's a 5-page thread over on the GeForce forums, started in May 2018, from people experiencing this crash: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...g-try-restarting-geoforce-experience-quot-/1/

The general fix is to tweak the NVIDIA Telemetry service but, of course, I am unable to do that because the service does not exist on my PC!

The latest post includes one from someone else who has also found, like me, that the last working version of GFE is v3.13.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its possible for wnidows to have a service partly present in the system but unable to start, check for it under sysinternals autoruns utility.