1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geforce driver 390.65 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by skizzo, Jan 8, 2018.

1. vdelvec

vdelvec Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Titan X SLI
    Best Nvidia drivers yet. I've seen almost a 10fps or higher increase in 87% of the games I have installed.

Stable and flawless so far. Great job Nvidia!

2. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Member

GPU:
    G1 GTX 980 OC
    I have already mentioned it in post #93

3. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Well article specifically states issues with Haswell & Broadwell which probably won't receive microcode update on Windows. I mean Intel won't contradict themselves in PR statement, they aren't THIS incompetent, are they?:D

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    It's more important that Vulkan driver itself has been updated to 1.0.65.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    There talking firmware updated issues and from this new statement, looks like support will be broader but may have to wait a month or so.

"Intel intends to release software and firmware patches for 90% of its CPUs launched in the past five years by January 15. By the end of the month, Intel plans to issue software updates for the remainder 10% of processors introduced in the same period. After that, Intel will focus on releasing updates for older products based on requests and priorities of its customers"

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1229...on-meltdown-and-spectre-issues-in-open-letter

6. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1070 AMP!
    Firestrike score went up by 100 points and gaming is glitch free.
    Best driver in a long time.
    Win10 FCU 1709 Build.XX.125

7. er557

er557 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    win 10 1709, dual xeon haswell-ep workstation, dual gtx 1080 sc sli, This driver is a no-go. few minutes into installation black screen and does not finish installing. Another user with a laptop(!) also had this issue on nvidia forums. All previous drivers ok, back to 388.71.
    Another bit of info, I have aero glass installed, also ultimate watermark disabler as well, and windows is in permanent test signing mode for corsair link drivers, also hpet is on in windows as well (use platform clock)

8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    This driver have some weird hitching when launching some games after running some other games - seems mostly random (i.e. I can't figure out a way to reproduce it) and it goes away after a reboot. Have ran into this with Wildlands and Full Throttle Remastered so far.

9. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980ti 6gb
    If your using multi monitor I sometimes get a black screen on the 1080p monitor after gaming on a 4K TV or trying to switch to extended screen mode, I think the driver is trying to set my 1080p screen to the wrong resolution. This is mitigated to an extent by enabling DSR so if the wrong resolution is forced, I still get a display most of the time.

And to all the doubters who think there's nothing wrong with this driver (cos they probably have the latest GPU that it was properly tested on), and want to say "It works perfectly on my PC, it must be your PC." Maybe so, but I did reinstall twice using DDU, so easiest thing to do is go back to a previous driver.

I'm not bothered about re-shade, and I've now counteracted the Meltdown/Spectre Windows 10 performance hit (that this driver tried to address) by overclocking my old 4th Gen 4790k from 4.4ghz to 4.7ghz (I had problems with this driver before the overclock). I can't really afford a brand spanking CPU that's not really effected by the latest Windows Security Patch, so I'll just have to have slightly higher electricity bills instead. Not very environmentally friendly but the worlds probably doomed anyway.

10. er557

er557 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    I have dual haswell-ep xeons and never saw a performance hit, albeit only installed the windows update 16299.129 and the intel 8th january microcode via vmware updater. Are you sure the spectre mitigations are truely enabled on your pc? my powershell script says only meltdown is, and otherwise not-enabled but not due to lack of hardware support and not due to OS issue, so I dont think they truely enabled the spectre mitigation as of yet. Maybe if one updated their mainboard bios it would act differently than just updating microcode.BTW, my xeons are turbo unlocked/hacked.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
    After more testing, i'm finding nothing wrong with these drivers at all.

Not noticing performance increases either though.

I did notice that even after DDU, the Nvidia High Definition Audio settings (5.1 side 24/96) have stuck.
    Is this being saved in some sort of MS cloud?

12. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980ti 6gb
    No bios update from Gigabyte for my Z97x motherboard. Definitely lost performance after KB4056891 for Windows Version 1703 at least in AC Origins with micro stutter. AC Origins running well again with WHQL 388.59 and I was able to regain the lost performance with the OC. Maybe Gigabyte will release an updated BIOS eventually.

I think this 390.65 driver did perform well if not slightly better and I would have stuck with it if not for my monitor getting stuck on a black screen.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  13. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Comparison link at the end of the post:

I thought so too when I first installed these drivers, I was surprised why no one is talking about the massive jump in performance. Then a few hours later, one day later, several tests later... and the performance went back to exactly the way it was with other drivers right after a few hours.

Nothing changed before or after, the only change was the driver. Why or how I broke even my benchmarking overclock record with this card (which I've had almost since it came out) the first time I installed the driver, I still have absolutely no idea how I got those almost 10% increase in performance. Uninstalled and re-installed the drivers and nothing changed, the usual scores.

Results to the right are the outlier after first installing the driver, result to the left is the usual result I get with my stable 24/7 gaming overclock:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/14676796/fs/14664338

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    The only performance increase I've noticed with these drivers is in Wolfenstein 2, and that's due to asynchronous compute being re-enabled and the Vulkan renderer being updated.

15. Rapyer

Rapyer Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    I just decided to try these drivers again. and stuttering is now gone? wtf

i will test it more

16. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Well performance wise it's no different to previous drivers for me. Other than that baffling result I got the first time I installed them. That really wasn't normal, an increase of 10% in performance is just ridiculous. Why it went back to normal thereafter is beyond me.

17. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1070 AMP!
    Totally understand the behavior.
    Before this driver average score range was 17270-17310
    After this driver I got my highest ever 17485
    After few shutdowns it was 17413
    Installed MS security patch (.192) last night now I'm at 17403

The driver definitely has improvements but I agree with some others it's kind of sporadic.Haven't come across issues with gaming, but browsing the Operating System Forum here at G3D last night, my screen flashed and half the page disappeared until a refresh.
    Not sure if it was a down clocking bug as I loaded up FireFox right after benching.
    I'm always testing my rig (paranoia, something's wrong with my rig somewhere even if I'm not getting any visible issues, I have a condition, anyway)
    I'll post bench results tonight as system's shut down most of today, should be interesting.

18. Rapyer

Rapyer Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Update on stuttering issue ive encountered previously.

Before driver update i installed new bios to fix spectre. installed intel chipset Version 10.1.1.45 and intel lan driver Version 22.9.16.0 from asus site.

after encountering stuttering, i installed a current chipset version from intel site which is older than asus x.x.x.42, and rolled back lan driver to march version. rolled back to 388 from control panel

stuttering was now gone. i then reinstalled 390 and seems no stuttering as before.

so there had to have been a conflict there somewhere either with that chipset or lan driver? leaning towards chipset

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  19. X7007

X7007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 1080GTX
    Anyone with HDR TV can play HDR Games with 2560x1440 resolution ? because for me LG OLED TV every resolution other than 1080p/4K doesn't work with HDR enabled. HDR is just disabled when using any other resolution. anyone know how to fix this ?

20. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 970 XLR8 OC

Chipset has no drivers in it. I dont understand people why insist to install them.