Geforce driver 388.71 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by norton, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Hmm, noticed a small boost in performance with these drivers in Wolfenstein 2. Even though async compute is still supposedly disabled for NVidia, the game definitely runs significantly faster than it did at launch when async could be toggled on and off in the advanced settings. It's possible that they enabled async compute, but have deleted the setting itself from the game. The last patch increased performance for NVidia as well.

It will be interesting to see a performance review update a few months later with Wolfenstein 2, as patches and driver updates continue to change the performance of the game.

2. killerhz

killerhz New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 470 SLI
    nice drivers for me. games play well and no crashes as of yet..

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Some news on upcoming driver releases:
    Should we expect first R390 driver before the end of December then? And it looks like the next branch will be R396.

norton likes this.
  4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Since we are at end of 2017, I guess there going to jump from 388.xx to 390.xx, or there late with that timeline, but it was just posted.

5. Brown Mist

Brown Mist New Member

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080 OC8G
    As a gamer and also importantly a person, I tend to not make my choice of browser a political statement.

6. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Chrome is the best browser. -n-

7. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    Added support for CUDA 9.1

i didnt instal these the older ones are still good but they are cuda 9.1 also the 388.59 or not?

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Oh for sure Mozilla did some amazing work on Firefox with their Quantum initiative, but lets be honest here. They were YEARS behind the competition. A lot of the things currently being implemented in Firefox ie sandboxing, multi-processes, were implemented by both Google and Microsoft in their browsers years ago.

And while I don't like using Chrome on my desktop (as I have it on my Pixel 2XL), it's undeniably a really good browser. Luckily for me though, I managed to fix that Edge crashing issue I was experiencing, so now I'm back on Microsoft Edge, the fastest and most fluid browser of them all :D

Turns out it was my soundcard drivers interacting with MMDevApi.dll causing the browser to crash when a YouTube video was playing. Resetting the driver fixed the problem.

9. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    Well 388.59 or not branch, these drivers are ok for me, no issues while 388.59 gave me weird stuttering.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I stopped using Firefox because the devs stopped caring and it ended up crap. I can't imagine using software that I didn't like just because it was made by a large multinational company, definitely biting off your nose to spite your face. You also couldn't use Nvidia, or Windows so that pretty much rules out being a gamer, or owning a phone or...

Anyway...these seem good so far when it comes to gaming, no issues in Doom, Wolfenstein, Crysis and Fifa.
    I did get a few MadVR crashes when tweaking it for 23.976 but nothing while watching anything.

11. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC
    good... i like it but i canĀ“t believe we gonna see these drivers on this month

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I've not had any scrolling issues with FF. Apart from the fact it is a bit sluggish compared to Edge but that's by design I imagine and same for all sites.

Which sites did you have issues with? I'd like to check them out too to see if it's the same.

13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Well, Guru3d forums for one. On the main forum page, scrolling is a bit janky. Usually when scrolling up, but not down. And plenty of other websites to be sure. It seems to manifest intermittently, and I think it's because it's still using the old rendering engine. The new rendering engine should get rid of the problem.

It's not a deal breaker per say, but it breaks the immersion of being a highly performant browser. Edge's scrolling speed is the fastest and most lag free by FAR though. Honestly, it seems as though Edge is running at 60 FPS, whilst other browsers are running at 30 FPS.

Give you an example. Go to IGN.com, and click on any of the main headings, like IGN's daily deals or 2017's worst movies. When you click on a heading with Edge, you'll see the sub menu pops up instantly more or less with no delay.

If you do the same thing with Firefox or Chrome however, there is a noticeable pause after clicking on it before the sub menu becomes available. It's things like that which make me use Edge as my primary browser on my desktop. It's just a much faster, smoother and more fluid experience.

14. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    ^^I don't have such issue with Google Chrome.

15. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    No....its still there but only did it at the as soon as i spawned in one of the bases but didnt do it in the 10mins or so that i was wondering the streets.

16. morpheus9394

morpheus9394 Member

GPU:
    2x 6950 1GB
    These drivers and 388.59 gave me constant frame drops in Forza 7 and Euro Truck Sim 2. I also got flickering on both my monitors after install either driver which only fixed itself after a reboot.
    Reverting to 388.43 fixed all the issues. It's the first time in many many years that I've had to go back to an older driver. In fact everything seems to run much slower on 388.59 or 388.71, from web site scroll speed in Chrome to Heartstone. Going back to 388.43 and everything went back to silky smoothness again.
    I always install new drivers using clean install option in the installation options. I wonder if it has something to do with Nvidia changing the way Geforce Experience and Control Panel settings are handled, which were changed in 388.59.
    My main monitor is running at 2560x1600 and is connected via using a DVI to Displayport adapter and the 2nd monitor is running at 1920x1200 and is connected via DVI. Both are running at 60HZ and are not G-Sync.
    Running Win10 x64 build 1709.
    Gigabyte 1080ti in OC mode, 6800k OC to 4.2GHZ, 32GB RAM.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Have no scrolling problems with forums or any site. However I see that IGN thing, headings activate without delay with Edge whereas there is a slight pause with FF.

However the IGN site actually loaded up faster with FF than Edge so... pick your poison :)

18. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    Guys....DRIVER THREAD....nice to talk about browsers but do it in another thread, keep this for it's purpose.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    AndyMutz, alanm and Blackfyre like this.
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Yeah sorry, went OT.

Gonna try these drivers out soon, for PUBG and otherwise.

20. heymian

heymian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    After installing 388.71, the NVCPL is now loading into my Taskbar automatically. How do I disable this? I rarely change settings and when I do, it's through nvidiaInspector.