GeForce 9800 GT vs GeForce 660 GTX review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Major_A

Major_A Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 760 OC
    Just wanted to say that I love little reviews like this. It's nice to see shiny new numbers but doesn't really tell the whole story. Thanks again and keep these types of articles coming. Up next an original SSD (JMicron) vs the latest and greatest SATA III drive?

2. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    This is amazing, Hilbert. You seem to have read my mind. A couple of days ago I did just this. Browsed old reviews to compare present and past graphic cards. Thanks.

3. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Around 100% bottleneck, of course that depends on the game but IMO platform upgrade is a better idea (I did it myself with this 4870 and it was worth it, doubled/tripled my framerate in all games)

4. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    The 7950 with its new cheaper pricing is an excellent choice, though is in a higher price bracket than the 660 which it blows out of the water

The 660Ti is stronger but over priced and still not a match for the 7950

Once you hit the 670 then things even out with the 7950 and 670 trading blows, but ending with the 670 pulling ahead with an average 12% advantage across the board of its wins and losses...

But by the time you are paying out for a 670 you can get a budget 7970 for the same money and again the 670 is totally then blown out of the water!!! Even the 680 does not look good next to the 7970 in most benchmarks...

This is bearing in mind the UK pricing structure - and don't forget the 7870 if on a bit of a budget.

For the overclockers amoungst us - the NVidia cards can manage roughly an 8% OC, a limitation NVidia "might" address later by lifting the OCing limits. Given more freedom I am sure they could do better
    But the AMD 7000 series cards OC Much higher pretty easy going for 20 to 30% even if lucky!

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The fastest upgrade cycle I can upgrade to is every skip a generation. I honestly don't have the cash to upgrade every generation. This is the same for CPUs and GPUs. Even cell phones, I can't do so either.

Looking at how good my GPU is for me, I don't think I'll upgrade until the GTX 800 series or Radeon HD 9000 series.

One thing NVIDIA fails to address is the fact that many people who still run the 9800GT are still running on Core 2/Phenom II era hardware and which may be bottlenecked by these newer generation cards. It's highly advisable that they upgrade their CPUs when thinking of upgrading to the GeForce 600 series.

deltatux

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Most games are still DX9....so, this is a very good review. If you deal with customers like mine that want to upgrade processors, but not graphics cards....this type review makes it much easier to show the customer where they'd benefit from the graphics card upgrade.

7. XeoNoX

XeoNoX Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 550 Ti
    was actually thinking of upgrading my 8800 GT, im thinking of going with the 670 or the 660. ide rather spend extra $30 and get the 670 over the 660 it worth it to me.