GeForce 8600GT cards causing intermittent sound distortion in Creative SB X-Fi card

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by realbernie, Dec 18, 2012.

1. realbernie

realbernie New Member

GPU:
    2x 256MB GeForce 8600 GT
    Hi -

For quite a while now I've been trying to fix a problem where I believe my GeForce 8600GT graphics cards are causing intermittent distortion in my Creative SB X-Fi soundcardcard. (I have 2 GeForce 8600GT graphics cards, not linked via SLI because I'm using multiple monitors). The sound becomes very fuzzy and distorted: I can sometimes fix it for a while by going to the Creative control panel and hitting the "Default Settings" button, but I'm looking for a permanent solution.

This is the Creative page which points the finger at the GeForce 8600GT graphics card as being the culprit: [/url]http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=24669[/url]. The article mentions "Very lengthy handling of Interrupt Service Routines (ISR) and Deferred Procedure Calls (DPC) by the graphics driver on nForce motherboards" My motherboard is an Asus so it falls into this category.

The article recommends using the third-party nHancer program but this stopped being supported in 2010 and it does not run on my Windows 7 x64 system. I have instead downloaded and installed NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.6.8 http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-I...load-2612.html but I don't know which parameters to tweak to alter the ISR or DPC or even the latency of the graphics cards. Can anyone help either with NVIDIA Inspector or with another approach to solve this - it's driving me nuts!!

Thanks

2. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    The newer geforce drivers(started in like 260's?) allow multiple monitors with SLI. You should be able to do it even with those 8600's.

My GPU is right below my sound card, I made some DIY grounded shielding to remove the noise. I'm pretty sure EMI shielding is the only way to completely rid of any distortion or noise.

I use a peice of cardboard, wrapped in tin foil, wrapped bare wire around it, insulated the whole thing with electrical tape, and grounded that wire to the chassis. Put that insulation between the GPU and sound card. No more GPU noise.

3. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti 1950/21.4G
    AHHHHHHHH NOT THE SNAP CRACKLE POP ISSUE AGAIN! Lol you need to search for Daniel K creative drivers on google or something. There are "Support packs" that are entitled certain lines of creative cards (like PCI-E or PCI only packs).

Daniel K came to fame with a driver that fixed this issue your describing by modding a creative driver. Creative should have hired him, but instead, refuted his work and told him that he could only redistribute his drivers on their soundblaster forums or they would sue.

This only happens with an Nvidia chipset and X-Fi drivers. I blame Creative though. Not Nvidia since Creative's driver quality is horsesh** for how many drivers they even make in a year and with Nvidia, well, you know... all they create is working drivers.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  4. realbernie

realbernie New Member

GPU:
    2x 256MB GeForce 8600 GT
    Thanks both of you for your replies. MM10X I don't think it's a grounding issue but if all else fails...I will try it! Thanks

Mda400 it sounds as if you know the history of this very well: I have now emptied all the Rice Crispies out of my PC (that's a UK cereal brand joke) and have installed the Daniel K drivers so hopefully the Snap Crackle & Pop effects will disappear. I hadn't come across his drivers or his story - what a PR disaster for Creative! So far the sound is looking good but I won't know until after a few days - it used to strike randomly so I need a proper timespan to be sure.

All the best, Bernie