Geforce 6800 pipelines unlock

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by desdick, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desdick

desdick Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia Geforce 6800 PCIe 256mb
    My geforce 6800 has no masked pipelines at all. I have enabled the reveal masked option and enabled everything in the window. However, I still have only 12 pipelines and 5vp enabled. :mad: I am really fed up with it and I hope you guys can help me.

2. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    Is your card an NV41 (See main RT screen)? If so, there's nothing to unlock, and it has only 12x1pp 5vp in hardware. I hate to point out, but all it means is that you got what you paid for rather than free extras. I don't know if it's any consolation to you, but if it is an NV41, the onboard video processor is fully functional, and WMV playback will be hardware accelerated.

3. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Hmmm, that's odd, what evrsion of RivaTuner are you using?

Edit: Just noticed you have a PCI-E mobo, so, yes it's an NV41.

4. desdick

desdick Master Guru

GPU:
    What luck...

Does it mean that only the AGP version of geforce 6800 has 16 pipelines??

5. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Yes, since the AGP 6800/6800 GT/6800 Ultra all use the same core, (NV40) the AGP 6800 NU has 16 pipelines and 6 vertex processors on it, of course they're not always functional. Well, at least your PCI-E 6800, (NV41) has HD WMV hardware acceleration. And then you have the PCI-E 6800 GT and 6800 Ultra (NV45).

6. desdick

desdick Master Guru

GPU:
    What is HD WMV?? What is the use of that??

7. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    You know, high definition windows meadia video. The NV41 can use an onboard hardware decoder to process the video, instead of the CPU, so you can watch super high quality windows media player videos while using hardly any CPU power. It can also do the same for MPEG 2. NV40 was supposed to be able to do HD WMV to, but it's onboard video processor was partly faulty, MPEG 2 still works on it though. So, it's just a nice little feature, has no effect on games thoguh of course.

8. desdick

desdick Master Guru

GPU:
    Does that mean that after unlocking the extra 4 pipelines in the AGP version of the 6800, it will perform better than the PCI-E version of the same card?? If that is so, I have wasted a lot of my money!! :mad:

9. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Well of course, the more pipelines the better. You got what you paid for simple as that, the performance of a normal 6800 NU. And anyway, even if you did have a AGP 6800 NU, there isn't a 100% chance that the etxra unlockable pipelines on it aren't faulty. All AGP 6800 NUs/6800 GTs/6800 Ultras have the NV40 core, which has 16 pipelines, 6 vertex processors. The 6800 NU comes with 12 pipelines and 5 vertex processors. Since it uses the same core as the 6800 GT/6800 Ultra which has 16 pipelines and 6 vertex processors, it may be able to unlcok them. Thoguh sometimes, some of the pipelines on a core are faulty, so if 4 pipelines on an NV40 didn't work it would have been made into a 6800 NU, and if someone who got the faulty core tried to unlcok them, they would artifact in games, so even if you did have an AGP, you might nto be able to unlcok them. Long story short, you got what you paid for.

10. SomeKid

SomeKid Guest

how would i be able to unlock them using rivatuner??

thx

11. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    *Looks at the thread rise from the grave.*

Heh, this thread is over 3 months old. :p

There are many guides in the RivaTuner forum, if you managed to prow through pages and/or use the search feature to find this thread then you should be able to find that sticky no problem.

12. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yes, please search for your answer regarding how to unlock the pipes/vertex.

There are many, many threads on the topic, as of course it was a "buzz" area a little while back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.