geforce 6600 incompatible with my mobo??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by adnandcs, Jun 23, 2005.

1. adnandcs

adnandcs Member

GPU:
    Inno3d Geforce 6600 128MB @ 400/600
    hi there

I bought an inno3d geforce 6600 128 mb agp card but having a strange problem

i installed the card into my system ..and the system hangs during POST ( where it is supposed to display the list of IDEs )

nothing seemed to work ... however the system wasnt totally stuck, I mean presing the TAB key displayed my mobo's logo ..

and delete key wud say go -> setup .. but it never did anything .. not even went in to bios setup

I reset the CMOS and the system ran fine until I set the bios settings to high performance default values .. similar problem arrived again ..

i eventually figured out that only when i turn the DRAM timings settings from ultra to fast .. the card runs fine .. no other settings seem to affect it though

wierdest problem I've ever had with a gfx card ,, I also tried a 350w generic PSU ... and also tried removing all the peripherals .. but no luck

the card wont run at DRAM timings set to ultra ...

My friends 6600gt runs just fine on his 300w generic psu whilst his system is far more power hungry than mine . ( p4 2.8 prescott ) .. I even tried putting in his 6600gt .. same problem .. looks like its something to do with my setup..

by the way .. wud i get a lot of performance difference if i manage to run my system at ultra DRAM settings ?
    ( i benched the card .. and got 4550 3dmark2k3 .. do u think its a fair enuf score on my setup ? ) I wonder it wud be even better if DRAM is set to ultra ..

and has anyone else experieneced a similar kind of problem ?

2. zigiman124

zigiman124 New Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600 128MB@stock
    Did u plug in the extra power line?

3. JJLoke

JJLoke Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 6600 128Mb 300/530 @ 430/600
    i dun think there is an extra power adpater on the card. mine is the same brand and model as his

4. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    I'd say the memory is the problem, not the card. But as far as performace is concerned, you shouldn't be able to see any difference. Just game on, dude.

5. adnandcs

adnandcs Member

GPU:
    Yeah I dont think I c much of a difference in performance .. I scored ~4700 3dmark2k3 and at 400/600 the score was ~5700

and yes my card doesnt require any additional power connector .. only 6600GTs have this ..

bug77 .. y do u think the mem is causing the issue ?? If it were faulty or something .. It should not have been working along with my pervious AGP that was 9550XT

6. adnandcs

adnandcs Member

GPU:
    Yeah I dont think I c much of a difference in performance .. I scored ~4700 3dmark2k3 and at 400/600 the score was ~5700 ( on 76.45 BETA included in the driver CD provided by Inno3d)

and yes my card doesnt require any additional power connector .. only 6600GTs have this ..

bug77 .. y do u think the mem is causing the issue ?? If it were faulty or something .. It should not have been working along with my pervious AGP that was 9550XT

7. TheGamer

TheGamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 @
    its just that your ram at ultra seeting is getting under more strain than it can handle(maybe this ultra setting works with only slower vga output)

8. Imhotep

Imhotep Active Member

GPU:
    PNYGeforce9800GTEE1GBDDR3
    My video has the extra power connector.

9. adnandcs

adnandcs Member

GPU:
    ok I will check if changing RAMs can do the trick .. but i think i m using a quality RAM .. and btw .. I forgot to mention that I even tried lowering down the RAM speed .. set it to 266 and with ultra settings .. it still hangs ...

anyone recommends playing around with the voltages ??

my current voltage settings are .. 1.7 for AGP and 2.7 for RAM

@imhotep: urs is pci-e or something ?? I though none of the agp versions of 6600 require additional power as their clocks are pretty low