GeForce 6200--- UFO.o

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bdcxl, Jul 19, 2009.

1. bdcxl

bdcxl New Member

GPU:
    geforce 6200
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i've tried almost every single driver with no luck, no visible changes..
    in gaming..
    Counter Strike 1.6 = max 35 fps (20-25 fps constant) -> fully tweaked client gets me 5-10 fps boost
    Counter Strike Source = max 13 fps (9-10 fps constant) -> that's on very low settings
    i don't wanna bother listing any other... it's simple, i can't play any freakin games no matter how old they are... nor what engine they use.

ps; before wasting my money on this one because i "needed" pixel shader for gaming, i had an ATI Radeon 9250 and guess what i didn't have any problems, not even remotely close to this... in CS1.6 i had like 70-80 constant FPS...

now i really don't know what to think... i'm open for any kind of suggestions... to make it work :|

2. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    a 6200 is not a gaming card. It is basically integrated graphics.
    that being said, did you properly remove the old ATI drivers? Tr running a driver cleaner in safe mode to make sure all signs of old drivers are gone.
    Also, I know I said it before, but, a 6200 is not a gaming card. It is basically integrated graphics. It will do fine for games like Peggle & Bejeweled, but for 3d fps, that is the most likely the best you are going to get out of that card.

3. bdcxl

bdcxl New Member

GPU:
    geforce 6200
    no, its not an integrated card, and no, the pc was hdd clean when i installed the geforce, and believe me if a ati 9250 can give better performance, with geforce i should get 100fps constant in any of those games, i have friends with even lower vcards then those 2 mentioned and still have 100 fps constantly in cs16 or css.
    ps; my pc spec is above recommended for both so there shouldn't be any problems at all

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  4. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II

He said it was like integrated graphics... which is true... that card just sucks... you were better with the ATI ... 6200 is not meant for gaming...it's just for office use ...

5. fell.S

fell.S Member

GPU:
    VisionTek 2400 512mb
    Gentlemen, do you understand he wants to play on an almost 12 year old engine? How can you come to the conclusion his hardware is insufficient for the gldsrc(1998) derived Quake engine? :)

I use to have a 6200 card and it worked perfectly. Something must not be right for such low framerates...

//edit
    I've found a number of benches that show otherwise, with nearly comparable hardware as my friend here, that the 6200 can indeed keep up with many games such as FC and the Source engine. Nothing decent however but playable!
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Geforce+6200+benches&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  6. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    glad someone came in with some logic. the 6200 is an old low performance card but it is pretty good for source games, there's no point even mentioning cs 1.6 because that should run at full whack on it effortlessly.

you haven't said what model 6200 it is though - maybe its one of the pci ones, and then it could be, for example, the pci edition 16mb dedicated with rest turbocached, which would go a long way to explaining poor performance.

but if its a regular agp 6200 then i'm really not sure. strange one.

7. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    well, he said his old card was an ati 9250, which is pci, which makes the 6200 most likely a pci card.

8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    6200 playing CSS i don't think so.......

9. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    actually it does and it plays it pretty well. good spot on the pci though. that explains a bit. should still be better then unplayable at low res and settings though. an agp/pci-e 6200 plays source perfectly fine.

10. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I remember playing hl2 on a 5200 agp @ 1024*768 with low to medium settings.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Considering the FX 5200 was weaker than the Ti 4200 (which couldn't play HL2 for crap), that couldn't have possibly worked well...

12. Surfy

Surfy Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070 Strix

Of course it's not integrated but anyone that knows the range and class of video cards properly will understand that a geforce 6200 is just as bad as integrated graphics, hence his comparison.

6200 is for making IE8 scroll smoother. Why are you even messing with a card that is out dated and never had any performance from the start? Upgrade my friend, upgrade!

13. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    but your missing the point. no-one said 6200 is a stellar card but it does have capabilities and they far exceed 13fps in cs source at lowest possible settings and only 25-35fps in cs 1.6. so something is wrong - doesn't matter how crap the card is, its still performing under par. now like i've said, the fact its pci bus combined with the fact there are 6200 models out there with only 16mb dedicated plus rest turbocache - might explain it a bit. but even with 16mb dedicated vram a card could be able to perform better in cs 1.6 easily.

in dx8 mode the ti4200 performs really well, the fx5200 performs relatively ok too. in dx9 it falls flat though, its simply horrible.

14. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Just get a 9400GT PCI card i think sparkle make them,

If you wanna spend money that is.

15. Jan VanZandt

Jan VanZandt New Member

I dug out an old 9250 card from my "retired hardware" drawer, and it's AGP. Though I believe it was also made in a PCI flavour as well.

16. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    If it's running on the PCI bus then it sounds like you've got some conflicts... Try simply moving the card to a different slot. Or looking into your motherboard BIOS and see if you have Plug & Play OS enabled (if it is, disable it, if it isn't enable it - then see if that made a difference.

17. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    Can't you use an agp card? Like the Ati you do have.

18. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GMA 900s (school computers) run CS 1.6 perfectly well, as well as Warcraft 3...
    A 6200 is faster than a GMA 900 by a good deal. CS 1.6 can be played using CPU rendering only (It ran fine on a Pentium 3 machine when it came out with the "software" mode). Old and crappy as the 6200 is, it still has plenty of power to run any GoldSource games, and maybe Source games provided its AGP based. I don't think there were any PCI Turbocache models, only PCI-E ones had those (?).

I would start by dropping down to a 16x or 17x driver. Newer drivers are known to break performance on older cards (they don't test them).

Start with perhaps 174.74, one I know that was great for my 6/7 series cards. You could also try 169.xx drivers. As for CS1.6, make sure you are using OpenGL in the Video section, DirectX never really worked well for me, and software rendering defeats the purpose of your card. In Source games, drop the resolution to 800x600. Keep everything on Low, maybe textures medium, the GMA 900 (Pentium-M Dothan 2ghz, 1gb ram) I tried it a good while ago on, managed about 10~15fps on all low, you should be getting higher.

You can use Rivatuner, and perhaps bump up the clocks of your card a 3% to 5% if you want to risk it. In the Nvidia CP, make sure you choose Single Display Performance Mode, High Performance mode, leave the rest on default. If you are using dual monitors, try taking one off. If it is a PCI model, it might have a power plug on it, make sure you plugged it in. If it is a PCI one though, Source games are most likely too intensive for it to run smoothly.

If it is AGP, disable AGP fast writes if it is enabled and try again. Try on/off Sideband addressing. Check your system information for IRQ conflicts. If you have a soundcard or another PCI device, move it to different slots.

19. bdcxl

bdcxl New Member

GPU:
    geforce 6200
    oh finaly a nice community !

to start off, both ATI and GF are AGP based, none of them are using a PCI-e slot either, because l8r i findout that i do have 2 PCI slots other then those AGP ones on my board, the funny thing now is that i had to take my pc unit to an service, after they removed the proc under that case they found like 2cm crust of solit dust(between the proc vent and the actual pill) which was overheating the proc, ok after the cleaning process i got a boost of 40 fps! even tho it's kinda a huge jump from what was before to now the benchmark results are the same, but ingame i get like a max 50 fps for those type of game engines it's still low, cosidering that i get a max of 35 fps in CSS and 50-55 fps in CS 1.6 while my friend who lives next door has an ancient pc with like half of my pc specs + an old integrated gpu and STILL he has a decent and constant 100 FPS in CS 1.6 which unfortunately i still can't dream for... so something has to be really messedup, the guys from the services said nothing seem to be wrong with the pc's components, i also reformated the whole hdd + fully reinstalled everything including chaning my os version, so still those are the max results that i can get, 55 FPS! which aren't always constant, a thing i've recently discovered, when i aim to a target (player) ingame, the FPS drops instantly down to half, but when i aim to the sky the fps comes back to normal (50-55 max)... any1 has any idea with what this can be related? i don't use any custom skins for neither weapons or players, they are default.
    i hope this helps... tell me if you need a dxdiag or anything else... also thanx alot for the support!

btw i play on 800x600 with 16bits both win+ingame (i heard that gives a fps boost too) ofc on OpenGL

btw excuse my crappy english, i've learn it over the internet by playing online games :)) along with many other languages

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  20. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Have you tried adjusting your AGP aperture size and have you tried installing the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard?