GeForce 6 series capable of using Transparent AA!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by RejZoR, Aug 9, 2006.

1. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    :puke: TSAA :peeleft:

yaaaay!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  2. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/DublinGunner/7600gt/BF2/BF22006-04-0212-50-15-62.jpg

that 4xAA, Trans SS AA
    a good screenie showing TRSAA in BF2 on the wooden pallets(yes I know its taken with a 7600gt, but 'm posting just to show the effect)

multisampled traa
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/DublinGunner/7600gt/FarCry/FarCry2006-03-3102-00-24-56.jpg

supersampled trsaa
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/DublinGunner/7600gt/FarCry/FarCry2006-03-3100-17-31-76.jpg

See how much more 'blurred' the edges of the alpha textures on the gate are with multi sampled TRAA

3. JMerrick

JMerrick Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 7950 GT PCI-E 512 MB
    It's no surprise to me because supersampling AA is done in software. Multisampling though, I wouldn't think it could do it without hardware support. But I am not surprised that the 6x00 tech could do it, just a marketing tactic by NVIDIA.

Now the cat is out of the bag so to speak I wonder if NVIDIA will do the right think and include this in all drivers for Geforce 6 series... I have a sneaking suspicion they won't though.

In a way, you could always do transparency AA, by using 4xSS as your AA mode. Sure it made the game slow, but it did AA the alpha textures.

4. fli_guy84

fli_guy84 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 1GB
    Woohoo, I've just confirmed it. It works on my 6800nu :D

5. JMerrick

JMerrick Member Guru

GPU:
    I wonder if the relevant Transparency AA registry key will be enough to enable it on any driver set?

6. Makashi_Menace

Makashi_Menace Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 7600GT-TDH (256 DDR3)
    Oh ok.... Yeah I agree with you, it's quite a major difference, since GF6 series cards were previously unable to do it.

Anyway, enjoy the TSAA on your card! Have fun! :)

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    @JMerrick
    I assume yes. Support was there all along, we just didn't have the option in NV CP. So no one ever tried...

@Makashi_Menace
    I don't think "previously unable" is the right line. It could probably do it from the first day they released GF6 they just never announced that. GF6 had SM3.0 support which was the selling point. GF7 had nothing especially new so they've added Transparency AA. Still from an end buyer view i feel kinda screwed with no vasseline...

8. JMerrick

JMerrick Member Guru

GPU:
    What's the relevant registry key then? I'm happy to try it.

Make a reg file of the key, change it, and make another key, and then you'll get a diff. Easy to find (I actually use reg files to make a lot of changes, since the control panel is a bit buggy esp. in 78.05).

9. kalniel

kalniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire x1950xt 256mb
    Very nice find, thank you.

Will be very useful in games that use alpha channel textures for things like grass polygons - eg Oblivion and NWN2.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Registry key for TAA is:

D3DOGL_70835937 (REG_BINARY)

TAA OFF = 00 00 00 00
    TAA MULTI = 00 00 01 00
    TAA SUPER = 00 00 00 40

Please test with 78.05 so we'll see if the support was there all the time...

11. JMerrick

JMerrick Member Guru

GPU:
    That's already the regular AA key, and the default value. So I guess not...

Actually it's not the default, I dunno how that happend (perhaps because I tried putting transpency_aa in nvapps.xml) but either way it doesn't work. So looks like they lock it out of the driver for 6x00 except for this version which they forgot.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Damn bastards. Like having V8 car with 4 cylinders disabled by software... :rolleyes:

13. InFiD3L

InFiD3L Maha Guru

GPU:
    x1950 Pro
    Hi all. This is the first time I happened to come across this thread. What's the comparative performance hit in percentage terms with TAA switched on?

14. Theliel

Theliel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT 600/1800
    TAA should work in all games, OGL and DX. SS WORK in OG, but don't in pure mode. This is don't work if you force AA to 4x4 or 2x2 SS only (in rivaturner or orher). If you set 8xS for example work perfectly. TTA mode are independent of mode AA in game. You can play at 4x MS and 4x SS.

6xS mode only avalible in old card or forcing in some soft (RivaTurner, nHancer...)

Performance hit?

For TAA MS or Gamma corrected you don't experiments any degradations.
    For TAA SS you can a degradations about 10%, depending game and AA mode selected.

15. nforced4good

nforced4good Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GTX
    wtf are you on about, all forms of AA are done and have t be supported by the gpu to work.

SSAA in software would cause a massive frame drop...

16. nforced4good

nforced4good Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GTX
    use nhancer to enable it

17. Makashi_Menace

Makashi_Menace Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 7600GT-TDH (256 DDR3)
    Well, then maybe I should rephrase it to "previously unable to do it with other video drivers".

Cheers! :)

18. JMerrick

JMerrick Member Guru

GPU:
    By "in software" I mean there is no special hardware support. All 4xSS does is render the game in 2048x1536 and then bilinear filter interpolate it down to 1024x768 screen resolution. Any card with large texture size could do this, just the performance hit is huge depending on available memory bandwidth.

19. nforced4good

nforced4good Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GTX
    it still does this in hardware, not in software :p, even though theres no special hardware acceleration for it, all resampling is calculated via the gpu,

it would be too strenuous for the cpu. lol

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Supersampling is not slow because it's done in software but because of nature of this method. The image is enlarged for the FSAA factor and then scalled back to selected resolution. So technically speaking 4x FSAA (SS) at 1024x768 is like rendering image at resolution 4096x3072 without any FSAA.